Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Greek island advice

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Thinking of going for a week or two to a Greek island in September next year with my lady friend. We may well go all inclusive (though I've always been slightly dubious about such things). I'm sure one of you will be able to help. I've never been to Greece before.

Ideally we want:

Somewhere fairly quiet (not too many children or ravers)
Decent food
Not too cheap or too expensive!

Which Islands and towns would your recommend? Which operators, and which hotels?

Many thanks!

Notters.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Also, can anyone confirm when the international breaks are next year, as I want to miss a minimal amount of football (assuming we don't get relegated)?

Ian Bairds Fist

Nov 26, 2003
Kingston-upon-Thames
Kefalonia will tick all those boxes. No ravers/kids, great weather and food and plenty of sights. According to locals the weather is fine from April to October, obviously at it's best in July/Aug.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Was in Crete a couple of weeks back for my brother's wedding. Would highly recommend Almyrida. Its a one street village with a cracking hotel across the road from the beach. Thomsons go there. As do Easyjet. Local airport is Chania, the quieter by far airport of the two on Crete. The people are lovely and the gyros are to die for. Not All Inclusive, but its so hot you'd want to spend all day on the beach anyways, drinking Mythos from the supermarket at a euro a pop.

I'd avoid Santorini. Horribly overpriced, partly due to being on the Cruise Liner route.

If you've got a bit of time, island hopping can be grand.

And September is a great time to go. Still baking hot and the kids have gone back to school by then.

Wish I was out there now in fact. If it wasn't for the football...

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
Kos is a cracking Island. Head to Tingaki, small and perfect for couples- and not a million miles from the bright lights of Kos town.

Kefalonia will tick all those boxes. No ravers/kids, great weather and food and plenty of sights. According to locals the weather is fine from April to October, obviously at it's best in July/Aug.

Seconded. A large island with quite a lot to see so a car is recommended for at least part of the time. You can easily do day trips to Ithaca and elsewhere. We stayed twice in one year 'cos we liked it so, once a short distance from Argostoli (the "Capital") and then in Sami over the other side and within view of Ithaca. The latter was a nice little town.

Albion Rob

Kos is a cracking Island. Head to Tingaki, small and perfect for couples- and not a million miles from the bright lights of Kos town.

I'd second that. stayed in Kos Town a few years back and found that there were plenty of bars and restaurantas but it was also pretty laid back. Weather was excellent and I think we had a boat trip to Turkey (possibly Bodrum) which was also good.

Kos Town Old Town was extremely nice.

oldalbiongirl

Jun 25, 2011
Seconded. A large island with quite a lot to see so a car is recommended for at least part of the time. You can easily do day trips to Ithaca and elsewhere. We stayed twice in one year 'cos we liked it so, once a short distance from Argostoli (the "Capital") and then in Sami over the other side and within view of Ithaca. The latter was a nice little town.

Ill third that! Kefalonia is possibly the loveliest place I have been.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I loved santorini - Perissa and it's smaller neighbour of Perivolos were great - decent beaches (black volcanic sand). 15 mins by road (cab was about 8 euros) from the main town of Fira. The view of the Caldera (the blown out volcano) and sunsets at Oia (pronounced ear) are breathtaking.

I also really liked Parga on the mainland although the beaches are more shingle and the water colder as it's a natural inlet to the sea from the mountains

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I'd avoid Santorini. Horribly overpriced, partly due to being on the Cruise Liner route.

I am surprised by this - yes Fira and Oia were more expensive but Kamari, Perivolos and Perissa were very reasonably priced

Albion 4ever

Feb 26, 2009
Santorini is beautiful - Highly recommend. It is more expensive than most of the other Greek Islands, but still cheap in comparison to anywhere else in Europe.

VeronaSeagull

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I'd say to head to Rhodes and specifically to Lindos, beautiful old town built into a hill side. Good selection of restaurants, bars etc and the beach is awesome. Restaurants have roof top terraces looking up towards the old Acropolis

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I am surprised by this - yes Fira and Oia were more expensive but Kamari, Perivolos and Perissa were very reasonably priced

Spent a week there last Summer (2010). Went to Pira a couple of times. Stayed in Perissa. OK, Perissa prices weren't in the league of Pira prices, but I found meals and beers a lot more expensive than I was expecting. I found Crete prices to be much cheaper this Summer (2011) when I was thinking that maybe the opposite might be true due to the worsening economic conditions. Obviously prices must vary quite a bit between islands.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Years ago I went to the Sporades islands opposite Volos, further north than the other main tourist-traps. Were very quiet then. There is an airport at Skiathos, which is more touristy than Skopelos or Alonnisos.

Foound some recently-published maps of the islands, no wonder Greece has gone bust! They've plastered roads and hiking paths all over them, no doubt hotels etc too. Probably paid for by Euro-geld.

But still think Alonissos would be a good bet for a quieter holiday, the islands are greener than those like Kos, and Santorini.

ArcticBlue

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex Inlander

Thirded - Had a lovely time in Kos. Stayed at a Mark Warner place out of peak season so not many kids around. Good water sports (no not those ones) in the sea. Quiet where we were. Very nice and wide ranging buffet style food. Was f'ing hot in June at around 45 degs so even the locals were feeling it. Get a car and go along the south coast, beautiful.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Went this year to Paxos. Very unspoilt...tourisst havent found it yet...no english/Irish pubs or shit like that.....really lovelly place.

santorini is excuisite ( cant spell)

Mykanos also really nice place ( albeit windy!!)

Manx Shearwater

Jun 28, 2011
Brighton
AntiParos. Fantastic outdoor cinema. Lovely tiny little town square, bars overlooking the sunset beach view, etc... Fishing harbour, etc...etc...

And Paros itself isn't too bad either.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Went this year to Paxos. Very unspoilt...tourisst havent found it yet...no english/Irish pubs or shit like that.....really lovelly place.

santorini is excuisite ( cant spell)

Mykanos also really nice place ( albeit windy!!)[/QUOTE]

It used to be full of very windy people, being bored-out as they were (allegedly).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here