Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bobby Moore

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Jake Robinson (for Desert Orchid)

Votes: 10 25.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Pele for me, he had so many natural skills and instantaneous instinctual moves, he absolutely exuded brilliance with every possession. (although Frank Skinner's 'Pele was Shite' skit still makes me splutter to think of it).

Pele would just shimmy his shoulders and leave defenders for dead.

Pele is also (and unrelated to my perception of his skills) the consummate gentleman of the game - a true embassador for the sport long after his physical activity with the "beautiful game" (coined by Pele himself). If he also ran for President of Brasil, it would be a landslide!
I have a friend who was married to one of the old 'New York Cosmos' players, and she cited Pele and Bobby Moore as being polite and having humility.

A mention for GORDON BANKS, who would be my second choice.

As an Albion fan, I have to consider myself lucky to have witnessed both Peter Ward and Mark Lawrenson on the grass stage before my eyes ....and at the same time !
:clap2: :clap2:

oneboot

Aug 4, 2003
Burgess Hill
I'm not sure why you would give such an accolade to a drug taking cheat. What’s he not kicked out of the 94 world cup for it? For me that takes him out the running completely. The man is an idiot.

I agree he was a good player but I'm not going to accept he was the best ever, no way. Pele and Bobby Moore are leagues ahead.

My vote went to Bobby (Moore) not Zamora.

Last edited:

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
oneboot said:
I'm not sure why you would give such an accolade to a drug taking cheat. What’s he not kicked out of the 94 world cup for it? For me that takes him out the running completely. The man is an idiot.

I agree he was a good player but I'm not going to accept he was the best ever, no way. Pele and Bobby Moore are leagues ahead.

My vote went to Bobby (Moore) not Zamora.

maradona for me. drugs or no drugs, he was an amazing footballer

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Pele

No shadow of a doubt, unfortunately the younger generation won't have seen enough of his skill to judge.

I would put Maradona behind Cruyff if I was to put them in order.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Darren Beckford (formerly of Oldham and Port Vale)

No doubt about it. Just shades it over former Bristol Rovers "bustling" hitman, Devon White.

:jester:

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
Richie Morris said:
No Di Stefano or Puskas? No Lev Yashin? Stanley Matthews?

Presumably you have seen little footage of football pre-1970. The technical ability required to play at the highest level now is far, far higher than it was then. Watching Stanley Mathews crawling past some hapless excuse for a full-back is not my idea of quality football.

Best player in the world ever:

Zinedine Zidane, followed by Thierry Henry and (when he was in his prime) Dennis Bergkamp. Maradona fourth.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Richie's right. Di Stefano and Puskas clearly should have been there.

Beckenbauer was a class defender as well - we forget how good he was.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Chesney Christ said:
Presumably you have seen little footage of football pre-1970. The technical ability required to play at the highest level now is far, far higher than it was then. Watching Stanley Mathews crawling past some hapless excuse for a full-back is not my idea of quality football.

Best player in the world ever:

Zinedine Zidane, followed by Thierry Henry and (when he was in his prime) Dennis Bergkamp. Maradona fourth.

Ok then..how about Marco Van Basten or Gabriel Batistuta or George Weah or Paolo Maldini?

Last edited:

chips and gravy

Jan 5, 2004
worthing
John Crumplin

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
oneboot said:

How on earth can you call him a drugs cheat? If you think snorting cocaine is a good way of improving footballing performance then I'd suggest you have a screw loose.

It's like Lee Bowyer when he was labelled a drugs cheat for smoking a joint....:shootself

Chesney Christ said:
How on earth can you call him a drugs cheat? If you think snorting cocaine is a good way of improving footballing performance then I'd suggest you have a screw loose.

It's like Lee Bowyer when he was labelled a drugs cheat for smoking a joint....:shootself

He didn't say 'drugs cheat', he said 'drug-taking cheat', i.e. a cheat who took drugs - which is fair enough. :dunce:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here