Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Greatest footballing comebacks ever?

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Hmm... here are a few beauties - but anyone think these can be beaten?

1. Champions League Final 2005 - Liverpool 3-0 down against Milan, win on pens.

2. Champions League Final 1999 - Man Utd 1-0 down against Bayern until injury time, when substitutes Sheringham and Solskjær score to win 2-1.

3. FA CUP 4th round, 2004 - Tottenham 3-4 Man City. City, who'd only won one of their last 18 games, were 3-0 down at half time, then Barton got sent off, sending them down to ten men. But City somehow went on to win 4-3.

Any Albion fightbacks that should be in there?

Last edited:

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
didn't man united come back from being 3 goals down against spurs?

dunno

Old Skool
Jul 6, 2003
At work - probably
Not quite in the same league, but didn't we come back from being 3-0 down at Coventry away (in the old first div), and Gordon Smith got a hat trick to level the game???

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I seem to remember us being 3-0 down at half-time in a game at Gillingham, bringing it back to 3-3, conceding another goal before getting a late equaliser to make it 4-4.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
I seem to remember us being 3-0 down at half-time in a game at Gillingham, bringing it back to 3-3, conceding another goal before getting a late equaliser to make it 4-4.

colchester on boxing day - LOADS of people left at half time, only for paul emblen to embark on a goalscoring SPREE

Munkfish

May 1, 2006

i was there that game i think when we was 3-0 down i remeber the chant were gunna win 4-3 :D

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
21/12/1957 Charlton v Huddersfield.

Charlton were 1 - 5 down with 20 mins to go and went on to win 7 - 6 in a division 2 game. Charlton even played for 70 mins with only 10 players because there were no subs. Thats got to be the greatest comeback of all time.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Turkey vs the Czech Republic, Geneva, June 15, Euro 2008. 2-0 down with 15 minutes left and to STILL win it in normal time? And have your keeper sent off for dementedly pole-axing someone who's 6'7''??

Magical, exhilarating stuff.

Not really a proper comeback but

Anyone recall our 4-5 defeat at Sheffield United around 1989?????

3-0 down, then 4-3 up only to lose 5-4!!!!!

and of course, the most famous one in english football
One of Wembley's most dramatic occasions was the 1953 FA Cup Final. BBC Sport Online's Anna Thompson looks back at The Matthews Final with 'forgotten' goalscorer Bill Perry.
It must be regarded as one of the most memorable matches at Wembley.

Blackpool and Bolton Wanderers were battling it out to become FA Cup winners.

Twice Blackpool had failed in the final - in 1948 against Manchester United and three years later when Newcastle United beat them.

In 1953 they reached the final yet again and this time they were hoping it would be third time lucky.

The only good thing I did that day was the score the winning goal!

Bill Perry on the 1953 Final
Stanley Mortensen and wizard of the dribble Stanley Matthews were Blackpool's main stars.

At the age of 38, it was Matthews' third, and perhaps last opportunity to earn a winners' medal.

But Blackpool were up against the mighty Bolton who boasted internationals such as Holden, Langton and Lofthouse.

Blackpool were a goal down within the first minute when Lofthouse slotted home past a fumbling George Farm.

They managed to equalise 10 minutes before half-time through Mortensen but went into the break 2-1 down after another goalkeeping error.

Drama

It looked as though their chance had gone when Bolton went 3-1 up early in the second half.

Few could have imagined the drama left in the game but Matthews began to turn up the heat and Blackpool pulled a goal back, again through Mortensen.

With barely a minute remaining, Blackpool dramatically drew level with Mortensen clinching a hat-trick with a spectacular free kick.

Bolton fans were stunned at letting a two goal lead slip and believed the final was heading for extra time.
Sir Stanley dazzled in the 1953 FA Cup Final

But worst was to come for them.

Matthews had other ideas and with one last burst of energy he collected the ball on the right wing and swept forward.

He dragged the ball back to Bill Perry who blasted it into the back of the net for an amazing 4-3 last gasp victory.

Mortensen scored a hat-trick that day, the only player ever to do so in an FA Cup Final at Wembley, but even his amazing achievement was overshadowed by Matthews' performance.

And hardly anyone remembers the fact that Perry scored the winning goal.

Revels

Perry though is not bitter to this day and still revels in the occasion at Wembley.

He remembers: "It doesn't bother me that my goal has been largely forgotten.

"As a matter of fact Stanley Matthews had played at Wembley twice before in the FA Cup Final and lost.

"Being the great footballer he was, I think everyone was hoping he would get a winners' medal and he did.

"All the players were pleased for him. He was a model player, a great sportsman and a friendly man who did not see himself as anything special.

The victorious Blackpool team celebrate their win

"I did feel sorry for Stan Mortensen because he scored a hat-trick that day and no-one really said much about it."

Perry can still remember the match clearly.

"I still have memories of the day.

"I had played well in the other rounds but in the final I felt I was poor.

"The only good thing I did that day was the score the winning goal!

"It was an amazing feeling and a great day."

And although he loved playing at Wembley, both for Blackpool and England, he said it was about time the stadium was upgraded.

I did feel sorry for Stan Mortensen because he scored a hat-trick that day and no-one really said much about it

Bill Perry on Morty
He continues: "Wembley was and still is a special place. The atmosphere was great in those days when they had 100,000-plus crowds.

"However I have also experienced defeat at Wembley, when Blackpool were beaten by Newcastle in 1951, and that was not nice. There was nowhere to hide.

"I'm sad Wembley is being pulled down but I think we have got to move with the times.

"They would not be altering it if it did not need doing.

"It is still going to be on the same site and there will be much better amenities.

"We have got to keep up with the rest of the world with the best facilities.

"The only thing I wish they would keep is the twin towers.

"They are such a landmark. Fans all over the world recognise them."

Although Bill's playing days are long over, there could be a Perry making his mark in the new Wembley.

His grandson Ben Perry-Acton is a prolific scorer for Blackpool boys' team Foxhall - although he is still only 13!

Pressure

Bill says: "Both Ben and my younger grandson Jack are showing promise.

"Ben is very one-footed at the moment although he scores an amazing amount of goals.

"I don't interfere too much because I don't want him to feel any pressure although I have told him to concentrate on making his other foot good.

"You never know what might happen in the future but it would be a great day if Ben or Jack did make it as professional footballers and played at the new Wembley."

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Fulham were 4-0 down at half time at Fratton park in 1984 and drew 4-4 with a penalty kick - last kick of the match. :clap2:

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
I vaguely remember a game against Swindon where we looked dead and buried in the 120th minute.

Didn't someone score a last minute goal with a header?

Can't believe it took 14 posts before that got a mention

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I remember being 1-3 down to Liverpool at home, and we managed to get back to 3-3. That was pretty remarkable as I think they were top of the league at the time. Foster, Case and Richie scored for us, and it pissed down with rain.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
I remember being 1-3 down to Liverpool at home, and we managed to get back to 3-3. That was pretty remarkable as I think they were top of the league at the time. Foster, Case and Richie scored for us, and it pissed down with rain.

That was my first ever Albion match!! 17th October 1981, 3-3 draw, att: 26,321

I went in as a Liverpool fan and came out Brighton, stood in the North Stand with my big brother. Changed my life that game :)

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
One nil down at Hereford at Half Time and looking like we were NEVER going to score...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here