Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Greatest ever album ?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
In the mid 60's a group of blokes from Liverpool put together an album called Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.Every time I listen to it, it sounds better.

I like a great deal of stuff which has happened since, but........

ezmally

Sep 16, 2006
Hastings
500 Greatest Albums | Rolling Stone

Fantastic list of classic albums and interestingly 6 out of the top 10 are British bands. Also noticed Beach Boys Pet sounds pops up on several lists in the top 10 as it has done on this thread so much so I purchased it the other day and it is bloody superb.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
500 Greatest Albums | Rolling Stone

Fantastic list of classic albums and interestingly 6 out of the top 10 are British bands. Also noticed Beach Boys Pet sounds pops up on several lists in the top 10 as it has done on this thread so much so I purchased it the other day and it is bloody superb.

Personally think that's a pretty dull and predictable top 10 dominated by 3 acts. No doubting the quality of the albums but there is music outside of Dylan the stones and the Beatles.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Chesterfield
The Libertines - Up the Bracket. It really court the vibes of the early naughties, and became the spring board for the indie scene that came after it in the UK.

I was just thinking that as it happens.... Either that or Mumford and Sons, I've had that wedged in Mrs Worthingite's car stereo for nearly 2 years. I had to put some gaffa tape over the cd slot at one point.

Robdinho

Jul 26, 2004
My favourite album ever is "I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning" by Bright Eyes, both because it is an astonishingly good album and because I first heard it at a time in my life when every single part of it seemed relevant to me and what I was going through.

However, if I were stuck on a desert island with just one album it would probably have to be Now 26. For a bit of variety, y'know.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Do mods keep re-opening this thread?

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Marillion - Misplaced Childhood
Genesis - And then there were three

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
Scary Monsters(and Super Creeps) by Bowie, second album I ever bought, showed how mind-blowingly fantastic music can be. Blue Lines by Massive Attack would be my favourite from recent years and really loving 2 Bears which was recommended by some poster on NSC(much appreciated)

lots of albums i've loved over the years and my favourite changes like the wind, extremes such as Stone Roses/Happy Mondays via The Sex Pistols to Forever Changes (Love) and How Dare You (10cc) however, the first album by a group that has released about 25 that I first heard as a 7 year old in 1974, I can honestly say I have never tired of it, still play it regularly (it recently got jammed in the player in my car so i listened to nothing else for 3 months) it still sounds as good to me as when I first heard it

Halfnelson (Brickwall) - Sparks

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Can't decide between Abbey Rd & my avatar... and for fun i'll take Michael Jackson's Bad with me too

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I could listen to Ziggy Stardust and Never Mind the Bollocks for eternity and never get bored of either of them.
I've gotta say thet the body of work produced by The Beatles and Dylan through the 60's is mindblowing though. Difficult to pick any single album from either.
Honourable mention for London Calling but there's a few weak tracks on there. Lost in a Supermarket is shite.
Any votes for Walking back to Happiness by John Cooper Clarke? Gaberdine Angus at the magazine rack, views the situation from the front to the back, nobody's looking for the man in the mac, put it right back on the stack Jack.

Last edited:

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
Confrontation - Bob Marley is a big big favourite of mine. But for me it would have to be something timeless, like Bat out of Hell or Dark Side of the Moon.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
I could listen to Ziggy Stardust and Never Mind the Bollocks for eternity and never get bored of either of them.
I've gotta say thet the body of work produced by The Beatles and Dylan through the 60's is mindblowing though. Difficult to pick any single album from either.
Honourable mention for London Calling but there's a few weak tracks on there. Lost in a Supermarket is shite.
Any votes for Walking back to Happiness by John Cooper Clarke? Gaberdine Angus at the magazine rack, views the situation from the front to the back, nobody's looking for the man in the mac, put it right back on the stack Jack.

JCC, its a good album and one I still play but not up there with the greats.

Stations of Crass- Crass. I knew little of Crass when I bought this, but by god after the first track (mother earth) my life changed, I am sadly still very much into this music 35 years later!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here