Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Greatest Cover Songs?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
This is a great subject, worth a look at this thread, and one or two before it, dealing with the same issues.

Great cover versions of songs - North Stand Chat

There is a comment on the 1st page here, re "quality" cover versions. I think there is some merit in that comment, a lot of covers are done for the sake of it, not really adding anything to the original.
Either that or they are covers of songs that were poor in the first place, but the lazy artist who wants to do a cover because they can't write chooses a poor original, in a bid to make it sound better, and of course to lower the royalities demanded by the original artist. IMO of course.

I also stand by my original comment on that thread, is this about who can come up with the most obscure cover that most people don't know was a cover, or is it about truely great covers?

warsaw

She's lost control
Jan 28, 2008
Has to be Annie Lennox's wonderful version of Neil Young's 'Don't let it bring you down' . Not seen the film but I believe it was in American Beauty?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Have to say, I have always been a fan of Lulus version of The Man Who Sold the World, better than Bowies original, and also IMO better than the Nirvana version.

Another cover I like, albeit a shit song originally, is Dolly Partons cover of "You Drive Me Crazy"

[YT]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/z_puqwc9bYM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/z_puqwc9bYM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YT]

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
How many more times ?.

Walk On By - The Stranglers

Is the clear winner

7 minute version - White vinyl with Blacak & White album.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Didn't we do this last week?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here