Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Greatest band ever?

This & This

cover_4925101112008.jpg

DFE8622.jpg

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Does anyone else think the Beatles were actually really shit?
Or is that just me..?

Although I grew up to the sound of the Beatles and know just how influential they were, I have been thinking over the last few years that maybe they were a bit over rated and everytime I see McCartney singing the same old dirgy shite live it strengthens the feeling. But.. I bought 4 of the 1st 5 Beatles remastered CDs the other week and have to admit that they really were a f***ing amazing band at the time. Shame virtually none of the stuff from their early and best days gets played anymore

Nowhere Man
In My Life
Not A Second Time

plus many others, absolute quality. Mostly the ones with strong Lennon influence. I love the remixes with Stereo as it used to be, voices and a few instruments from one speaker the other instruments from the other :thumbsup:

Best Band Ever? Bob Dylan and the Band for me this week.

Last edited:

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
I get the feeling The Who will take it out on here, but for me it's The Cure which is due to a combination of their (mostly) consistent output over 32+ years and unfaltering live shows, plus the fact they were the first band I ever saw....

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Difficult one for me. As tricky as saying what's my favourite song. Changes daily and when they occur to you. Doubt I could narrow it down to 50 to be honest

Off the top of my head I'd say:

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
Beatles
Sugarcubes
Kinks
New Order
Smiths
Pink Floyd
St Etienne
Rolling Stones
Happy Mondays
Stone Roses
Blondie
Portishead
Everything but the Girl
Apollo 440
REM
Abba
Van Halen
Orb
OMD
Specials
Depeche Mode
Sigur Ros
Captain Beefheart
Beach Boys
Deep Purple

There's probably a fair few more but those are the ones that spring to mind.

Don Quixote is completely wrong of course to just quote sales as equating greatness. By that token Westlife are better than Muse and Rick Astley better than Jeff Buckley and Nick Drake, combined.

There's also bands that I know are great: Led Zep, Who, U2 but they just don't float my boat like the others.

p.s. I do hate it when people say "end of thread" or "is the correct answer" in these sorts of things. Just how do you go about measuring that the Who are better than Guns N Roses?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Steve Marriott had the best voice of any UK singer, so much soul, yet he never took himself or the band too seriously.

As subjective as the greatest band. Better than Chris Farlowe? Better than John Lennon? PJ Proby? Pete Wylie? Antony from Antony and the Johnsons? Leo Sayer?

How do you measure these things?

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Beatles
Pink Floyd
Rolling Stones
Blondie
REM
Abba
Specials
The Eagles
The Band
Led Zep

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Can't believe it took so long in this thread before the correct answer was given.

Me too... I third the mighty Led Zep vote... 80M ticket requests for a band long defunct says it all... the GREATEST Rock Band ever... bar none...

Worthai Seagull

Wenners
May 11, 2009
Worthing/ Hua Hin,Thailand
The Beatles are the best. The end. Sold the most records. Mass hysteria. This equals the greatest band of all time.

Or you could say the Rolling Stones are the best. Who knows.

The Beatles are by far and away the greatest band of all time. And its not about amount of records sold ,or mass hysteria. Its about how they changed music forever,,from 1962 until 1972 when they finished, and then until THIS day and for many years from now.
Most bands will tell you that The Beatles were IT...the yardstick and everything that bands transpired too.
In ten years ,or so, their contribution to music was astounding. ( Sgt Peppers was recorded on 4 track Stereo !!!!!) and how it transended all different ages and now, to this day still sells to a new and younger age group.
Listen to Please Please Me..(1962)..it still sounds wonderful !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here