Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Great White off Hayling Island.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
I've seen and handled loads of sharks,dead, in my fish industry days . If you like huss and chips you've eaten it too . Dogfish to,be correct.

A silly season story in the press. Soon we will see the annual "a seagull ate my chips" story too
This with Bells on!

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Mako's may well be fast but they aren't the fastest fish by some margin. The Black Marlin has been recorded at 129km/h whereas the mako can only bring up the rear at a relatively paltry 74km/h.

Sorry, stand corrected. I meant to say fastest shark albeit I didn't know those statto stats! ;)

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
Growing up in Australia, sharks are never far from your consciousness...

Some years ago, the day before the Missus and I got engaged, we were swimming at Cottesloe off Perth. There was a huge buoy about 200 metres offshore and the Missus says: come on...let's swim out to it.

She was an excellent swimmer and I was barely adequate, but when you're about to propose to someone you don't wimp out of a challenge like that.

Anyway, as I swam (some distance behind her) I suddenly noted how eerily still the water was...and how murky it was in the late afternoon just before dusk. Just before I reached the buoy, where she was waiting for me, I suddenly thought: what the FARK am I doing out here?

I'm going back! I called and started swimming faster and faster. She, of course, zoomed past me and the closer I got to the shore the more I was seeing those huge pointed teeth closing on my toes.

Anyway, I made it back to shore, exhausted and totally freaked, but life continued happily.

However.

About five weeks later, a bloke was killed by a shark in exactly that spot.

For all I know that same shark checked me out but wasn't feeling peckish.

I've got a picture of me and my Aussie best mate swimming in the spot a girl was killed on Straddie Island a week before. You've not seen a picture of anyone looking more uncomfortable, desperately waiting for the picture to be taken.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here