Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Great Pictures Of...The Goldstone Ground

liam82

Onwards and Upwards
Apr 8, 2007
Telscombe Cliffs
I have know about this great website for ages but never posted it on here before, The Homes of Football

There are a few pictures of Brighton from 90's but many more fantastic pictures which really capture the essence of football stadia, many of the grounds which have now gone or changed forever.

There was quite a good one of the Stratford end at Manchester united showing the old terrace and begging's of the more modern ground we know today.

With Falmer so close the below pictures show the real heart of the club we have been missing for so long, Withdean has done us proud but the romance and feeling of walking into the Goldstone has never really been present.

Attachments

• g1.jpg
    g1.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 1,005
  • g2.jpg
    g2.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 817
  • g3.jpg
    g3.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 757
  • g4.jpg
    g4.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 795

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Bloomin marvellous. Like it was yesterday.

And you try and tell the young people today that the Albion used to wear striped shorts, and they won't believe you.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
How beautiful does the old ground look in the first two pictures? As Liam says, you can't beat the romance of that place. For all those who were too young, even though the Goldstone wasn't the greastest facility, you missed out on something very special.

Collar Feeler

No longer feeling collars
Jul 26, 2003
Great pics, 2 & 3 appear to be adverts for male pattern baldness - a whole collection of shiny bonces and some quality sweepovers! :lolol:

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Oh the North stand, what a great place.

Goldstone looked sad and neglected in it's later years but the true magic was a night game with a 30,000 crowd. It rocked!

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Pictures like that still make me want to cry like a girl even now. I had my spot right at the back of the North Stand, and I fecking loved it.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
If you can, its worth checking out today's Argus as they have a picture from a brilliant Goldstone night in their Albion nostalgia series.

26/10/76 League Cup 4th Round v Champions Derby County.
33,500 all in place ages before 7.45 kick off. Whole place absolutely rocking.
Peter Ward scores inside the first minute, which only means it gets even more mental.
Derby equalise and its a reply the next week.

For those of you too young to have experienced a big crowd at the old ground, before the days of Bellotti exclusion zones, this was one of the biggest nights and makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up just to think of it.

Just imagine for a minute The Albion getting 33,500 people for a home game on a Wednesday night? Magical times.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I loved the Goldstone. Fantastic memories. Including the walk across Hove Park after parking the car.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here