Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gran Torino

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Anone seen this. I am planning on going tonight. One of the greatest actors of all time, an excellent director and one of the coolest cars as sported by David Starsky in history.

what can possible go wrong ?.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
You will love it US. It has it all - drama, humour and it is very touching too. The ending is supreme, the missus cried and I must admit to having a lump in my throat too. Be keen to see your verdict tomorrow. Enjoy.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I found it rather funny in most parts, even those it wasn't supposed to be. I'm sure you'll be entertained, though.

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
I saw it today. One of the best films I have seen for some time. Eastwood and the supporting cast are excellent.

I agree with Wilko, it does pretty much have everything.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Clint Eastwood has said this is the last film he is going to act in and direct. If that is the case what a way to go out. Walt is one of the greatest character's in his illustrious career an aged Dirty Harry. At 78 he takes no shit and kicks butt. He is a grumpy old man as said earlier but this guy is no Victor Meldrew he is a doer and deals with things himself and in his own way.

The are many stand out scenes, like the way he got rid of 5 hoodlums " get off of my lawn " has as much menace as " make my day " and the way he saves the next door neighbour's girl from 3 men pushing her around is wonderful and gains respect from said men a quarter of his age.

He starts off as a true all Amercain midwest racist living in a community of mainly Asians he is out place in " his own country " and he resents this calling them all manner of un pc names. Whilst doing something wrong at a BBQ of theirs he says to the whole room " what are you Fish faces all looking at ". He does not compromise and has an anti Asian agenda from his action in the Korean war. However eventually after saving the boy next door from the gangsters he becomes a hero and is showered with gifts and love and in time he becomes a father figure to girl and boy next door and has more in common with the " Mongs " than his own American family.

The last 20 minutes is tied up with a bittersweet payoff where instead of bullets and action, Walt uses his head to enact the perfect revenge of the gang that trashed the neighbours house and raped and beat up the girl. Therefore giving them freedom and peace from the daily threats being their inheritance.

This is a BRILLIANTLY observed piece on middle America and inherant rasicm by Eastwood and his unpc comments and ways do raise many laughs but I however think they are intended as we squirm and are embarrassed but somehow admire him for his outspoken ways.

This is a slow burner but invest your time in the story and characters and the pay off is well worth it.

The Gran Torino takes up the final shot and you are over the moon at who is driving it.

Magnificent.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
It is a superb story and intelligent character developement. Do not go expecting loads of action, car chases , special efefcts or explosions. Its good old fashioned story telling. Eastwood has NEVER been better and should have got an Oscar nomination imo.

veade

Feb 19, 2005
Boston
i watched it and really enjoyed it thumbs up from me

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Odd thing to say I thought Eastwood's acting was superb. The supporting case were all amateurs literally as Eastwood wanted authentic people of the race, no professional's were recruited.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Thanks for the spoiler there Manthorpee! :angry:

I think Eastwood is great, and has gotten better with age and being behind the camera as well as in front. Looking forward to seeing this when I get the opportunity!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here