Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gran Canaria - Any Recommendations?

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
because NSC knows EVERYTHING

anyone know of any good places to go?

Never been, but booked a cheap holiday as its over 20degrees already. After seeing the Isle of Fernando on Take Me Out, I thought I miss wearing flip flops and need some winter SUN.

Staying in Puerto Rico, which I have heard is a bit British, but chose to go there as the whale/dolphin watching boats go from there.

Have a car to drive around, so any recommendations for the cheap and cheerful sunny island?

Thank you please x

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
Don't go ?

Dunes are Ok, big nudist beech! - no much in the centre of the island. (OK for a cheap bit of sun)

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
I'm there right now.

Its been 20-22c all week, and lovely and bloody SUNNY.

Staying in Las Palmas, which is the capital in the north of the island.

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
came back from mespalomas , ingles on monday night. yes its pretty hot but thats about it if you ask me. we werein the quiet bit which is very gay , very german and very old . i wouldnt go back .

to give you a feel for where i was some of the clubs were called construction , das dicko , cockring club .

been told the centre of the island is amazing however so your car might help

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
I've been to the Anfi resort before and going again later in the year. Fantastic purpose built resort type place if that's your cup of tea.

trancing

On our way 2 falmer
Jul 23, 2009
Shoreham By Sea
went in September had a great time, stayed in Puerto Rico, recommened hiring a car and going to other towns. Mogan is really nice and chilled out, water park is worth a visit

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I went there for a week about 6 years ago. Hated every minute of it quite honestly, but I guess it's different strokes for different folks innit. :shrug:

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
I've been to the Anfi resort before and going again later in the year. Fantastic purpose built resort type place if that's your cup of tea.

We spent a day there but had to go to a 2hr timeshare hardsell, got free lunch and wine though. From what i remember puerto rico was nice.

D

Deleted User X18H

I went with some bird in 2000. She is now my wife and owns half my shit. Be warned.

Jameson

Was there <2 weeks back. I really liked it, absolutely gorgeous climate, clear blue sky, etc. The resorts like Puerto Rico, Masapalomas, Playa De Ingles are much like anywhere else. Depends what you want. I liked Puerto de Mogan for some good restaurants, nice marina etc. But the best bit was a drive into the mountains, some hairy sheer drops, but beautiful and green, palms and cacti at the bottom, pine at the top, it looked like the land that time forgot. Disproportionate amount of Scandinavians and Germans there and at this time of year most of them were older than me which is saying something. Very odd seeing Norwegians marching along the beach with their walking poles.

Been to Puerto Rico many times, go to the main shopping centre in the centre of the "valley" for all the nightlife. Well, it has about as much as Worthing. Last time I was there, there wasoneclub - Joker's.

Playa del Ingles is where the nightlife's at.

Pay a visit to the Vinny Samways bar (yes, really) in the Europa centre too :thumbsup:

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
My ex- fiances' sister was married to a Spanish musician who works there and we went over a couple of times.
Maspalomas is good and has some night life, if you have transport go to Los Pechos, take some food, beer and mates and you can do your own BBQ at one of the many that are there, you have to gather your own wood etc. and I would recommend taking some firelighters to save rubbing sticks together.
The Western Town or Cowboy Town is well worth a visit, it was used for filming some of the spaghetti westerns years ago, try to get yourself on one of the evening shows they put on there, great atmosphere and good fun.
Drive around the Island and visit some of the old buildings and churches scattered about, check to see if your visit coincides with any of the festivals the locals put on, they love it when you join in.
Be careful driving through the mountains, some of the roads just wide enough for 1 car! and can have sheer drops at edge with no fences, good for an adrenaline buzz.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
The Western Town or Cowboy Town is well worth a visit, it was used for filming some of the spaghetti westerns years ago, try to get yourself on one of the evening shows they put on there, great atmosphere and good fun.

Blimey, is that still going? I went to that over 25 years ago - they picked on my misus as the hostage role play .... Good laugh for some holiday entertainment.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Playa del Ingles is great,a bit like Brighton in parts.We stayed in the Irish quarter November and January.Second hotel was good but basic,just far enough away from the noise,Corona Blanca,clean with nice sheltered pool.New bowling alley (16 lanes) opened in Maspalomas,not too pricey either.Great choice of resaurants,if you buy anything you have to barter for it.Go on the organised coach trip round the island,it's great,including a distillery trip!Don't book any hotel in Playa del Ingles with Green in the name as they back on to the motorway!Any smokers in your party can have a fag after security as Las Palmas airport has a smokers balcony.Enjoy!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here