Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

grammar help needed

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
For my English Language C/W I had to analyse 2 newspaper articles and compare different features of how they covered a story on Asylum Seekers.

One of my sub topics was the use of the passive voice. The majority of the tabloid is obviously in the active voice, but I'm sure there are some instances of it in passive. The article is enclosed below. If anyone can identify any sentences/extracts which are in the passive voice..could you please reply and let me know.

I'm not doing a Richie Morris, I've just written 3,500 words on this and the last stretch is proving a bit too tedious
----------
Britains immigration crisis is six times worse than official figures suggest, a Home Office expert claimed yesterday.

In an alarming insight into the near total failure of Government Policy, Robert Owen said that at one stage 1,000 people a day were arriving at Heathrow’s Terminal 3 to claim asylum.

Mr Owen, who said most of his information was “highly classified”, was speaking as a witness during the trial of two Chinese nationals accused of people-trafficking.

He said the official census put the number of people from China living in Manchester as 8,000, but the immigrants’ local association told the Home Office the true number was between 40,000 and 50,000.

In what will be a severe embarrassment to ministers ahead of today’s European and local elections, Mr Owen said current methods could no longer cope. “It was accepted(by the government) that the true figure of Immigration was considerably higher than the official figure,” he told Swansea Crown Court.

Immigrants needed only to speak the magic words ‘asylum seeker’ to bring the country’s system to its knees, he added.

Last night Tory MPs accused the Government of “losing control of Britain’s borders”.

Shadow Home Secretary David Davis said: “The Government is fully aware there is a crisis with illegal immigration arising out of the shambles of its policy that it dare not admit.”

Mr Owen said he could not even “guesstimate” the true number of foreign nationals living illegally in Britain.

Asked if he could offer a figure in tens or hundreds of thousands, he said he could not.

Because the system could not cope with the number of immigrants, most were granted a temporary residence permit.

Delays between an application for asylum status and any appeal hearing meant that most migrants simply disappeared without trace into their local community.

Mr Owen, a Home Office expert with 30 years’ experience in immigration, told the court that the number of routes into Britain was “unbelievable”.

Lorry drivers were being paid between £2,000 and £3,000 to bring groups over the Channel.

“Immigration officers take out a few shipments but we are obviously missing an awful lot of people,” he said.

Boat owners in France, Holland “and all the way up the North Sea” were being approached by Chinese Snakehead gangs and asked drop immigrants “close to the shores of the UK”.

He added that Turkish and Kurdish criminals found the business so lucrative they had abandoned drug dealing and now worked with people smugglers.

Mr Owen said the gangs were so sophisticated they hired solicitors’ clerks to greet illegal immigrants at airports.

“Any person can arrive without documents and say, ‘I want asylum’. As soon as the magic words are said, immigration have to consider it,” he told the court.

Referring to the Snakehead gangs, he said: “We have no serious removal arrangements whereby we can remove a person back to China without documentation.

“They have to be interviewed by the Chinese consul to establish they are Chinese and nine times out of 10 the embassy does not have the staff.”

He described the trafficking of people into Britain as “very structured, very sophisticated”.

In 1998 immigrants paid about £16,000 per head, which increased to £20,000 in 1999 to be smuggled in.

But the fee had dropped because Snakehead gangs now employed a less expensive method of using fake education documents so illegal migrants could pose as students.

Mr Owen, seconded to the National Criminal Intelligence Service to advise on Snakeheads in Britain, said the vast majority of Chinese immigrants stayed here.

Restaurant owner Guo Chen, 34, from Aberystwyth, and his nephew Xing Cheng, 21, a waiter, are alleged to have received £5.2 million from immigrants arriving in Britain.

They and another restaurateur, Nual Miah, 32, all deny money laundering on behalf of the Snakeheads and assisting into illegal entry into the country.

The trial continues.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
bigc said:
The majority of the tabloid is obviously in the active voice, but I'm sure there are some instances of it in passive.

Oh yeah. Obviously.......

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Boat owners in France, Holland “and all the way up the North Sea” were being approached by Chinese Snakehead gangs and asked drop immigrants “close to the shores of the UK”. is passive.

The active would be Chinese Snakeheads gangs approached boat owners in France, Holland etc....

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
Re: Re: grammar help needed

Rangdo said:
Oh yeah. Obviously.......

this grammar tool told me that..just the identification wasnt so hot.

I'm great at making exciting assertions but the nitty gritty of english still wears me down, even at 18.

It proves that they are still mis-teaching grammar at lower levels of education, as the majority of my group are very unfamilar with the terminology and rules assoicated with the language. If we knew, it would make it that bit easier.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
"It was accepted(by the government)"

"most were granted"

"Lorry drivers were being paid"

"were being approached"

"are alleged to have received "

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Re: Re: Re: grammar help needed

bigc said:

It proves that they are still mis-teaching grammar at lower levels of education, as the majority of my group are very unfamilar with the terminology and rules assoicated with the language. If we knew, it would make it that bit easier.

U callin me fick or wot?

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Reading your opening post makes me realise how all the computer illiterates feel when they open the "technical help required threads" :(

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
"But immigration lawyers yesterday claimed the legislation"

is that passive too?

rrruss

Wandering Seagull
bigc said:
As soon as the magic words are said

Also in the passive voice.

Think if the action is being done by the subject (active voice) or if the action is affecting or being done to the subject (passive voice).

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
Rangdo said:
Reading your opening post makes me realise how all the computer illiterates feel when they open the "technical help required threads" :(

Well I've been studying this for 18 months and it gives me trouble.

I'm fine with alot of other english language frameworks, this one is just that bit more fiddly.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

bigc said:

Unfortunately (or fortunately) we had this sort of stuff drummed into us during five years of Latin lessons. Just be thankful you don't have to wrestle with the ablative case or the subjunctive.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
Re: Re: grammar help needed

rrruss said:
Also in the passive voice.

Think if the action is being done by the subject (active voice) or if the action is affecting or being done to the subject (passive voice).

yeah I thought it was if the subject isnt the initial item..or that was my weak interpretation of it.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
bigc said:
"But immigration lawyers yesterday claimed the legislation"

is that passive too?

No, that's active.

Passive would be "It was claimed by immigration lawyers"

rrruss

Wandering Seagull

bigc said:
yeah I thought it was if the subject isnt the initial item..or that was my weak interpretation of it.

Try this link for an in depth description.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
It was designed to curb the activities of people smugglers who urge asylum seekers to destroy their documents so they cannot be deported.

is that passive then?

argh I apologise for my lacking in this area:blush:

Jul 20, 2003
Britains immigration crisis is six times worse than official figures suggest, a Home Office expert claimed yesterday.

A Home Office expert claimed yesterday that Britain's immigration crisis was six times worse (shit phrase) than official figures suggest.

I dunno - I'm dumbed down by reading them broadsheets, innit

I think the following would be acceptable

A home office mouthpiece, 37, said the other day that we're a good 500% more deluged with spongoing foreigners than what they let YOU, the true ENGLISH readers, are being told. see editorial 4 more.

I much prefer Chomsky's concept of transformational generative grammar to all this stuff that tries to squeeze English usage into a linguistic model designed to make sense of Latin.

Chomsky postulated a syntactic base of language (called deep structure), which consists of a series of phrase-structure rewrite rules, i.e., a series of (possibly universal) rules that generates the underlying phrase-structure of a sentence, and a series of rules (called transformations) that act upon the phrase-structure to form more complex sentences. The end result of a transformational-generative grammar is a surface structure that, after the addition of words and pronunciations, is identical to an actual sentence of a language. All languages have the same deep structure, but they differ from each other in surface structure because of the application of different rules for transformations, pronunciation, and word insertion. Another important distinction made in transformational-generative grammar is the difference between language competence (the subconscious control of a linguistic system) and language performance (the speaker's actual use of language).

Jul 20, 2003
if that's Noam sounding off he can double f*** off - if it's ANOTHER f***ing CHOMSKY then I've no option but to report that all Chomskys (Chomskies?) can suck the stains out of my shit rags

pevenseagull said:
if that's Noam sounding off he can double f*** off - if it's ANOTHER f***ing CHOMSKY then I've no option but to report that all Chomskys (Chomskies?) can suck the stains out of my shit rags
That's a tad unfair on Carol Chomsky, who is a very fine scholar of linguistics - as indeed is her husband, Noam.

In their different ways, both of them explain how language works a damn sight better than the linguistics that is being forced on bigc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here