Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Grammar and spelling police

Are you a member of the grammar and spelling police?

• Yes. It's annoying and I feel a duty to draw attention to errors

Votes: 24 20.7%
  • No. It's annoying but I just sigh and let it be

Votes: 55 47.4%
  • Yes, but I only draw attention to errors when I'm losing an argument

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • No. It doesn't bother me

Votes: 33 28.4%

• Total voters

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
Ive been in language education for 25 years and find that orthographical pedantry is the lowest form of intelligence. What matters is that we understand each other, not whether the message is appropriately made up.

And anyone who wants to draw attention to the missing punctuation in the first word...... Linguists will tell you that such punctuation (it's called an apostrophe) will have dissappeared from English completely in the next 10-15 years. SO GET USED TO IT! Language is organic and evolves, it is not fascist.

This is what I was trying to say, but its said here perfectly:thumbsup:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The annoying thing with spelling mistakes is sometimes trying to make out what the correct word was supposed to be in the first place.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
No. Just as NSC is a cross-section of Albion fans, it's also a melting pot of different levels of intelligence/education.

Poor spelling or grammer doesn't make an opinion any less valid.

Anyone who feels the need to pick on other contributors' language skills is a bit sad IMHO and usually means that person has nothing else to argue with.

Surely the opinion can only be valid if it is understood? Meaning and context comes from sentence structure, and the words used therein. A comma in the wrong place, or a slightly misspelled word could completely change the intended statement of opinion.

I don't think that anyone should "pick" on other posters regarding their written language skills, however I don't think it is helpful to not point out sentences that do not make sense.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Surely the opinion can only be valid if it is understood? Meaning and context comes from sentence structure, and the words used therein. A comma in the wrong place, or a slightly misspelled word could completely change the intended statement of opinion.

I don't think that anyone should "pick" on other posters regarding their written language skills, however I don't think it is helpful to not point out sentences that do not make sense.

I''m sorry but the vast majority of posts by people complaining about another poster's use of grammar or punctuation are snide digs and nothing more. They fully understand what the poster has said but they are just attempting to belittle the person as they don't agree with their opinion.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Don't really see the point of that rule.

It just doesn't really make sense when read to oneself or aloud. A "but" is a word used to signify that an alternative truth is to be revealed. However, it only really has the intended impact when flowing smoothly through a sentence. A full stop before a "but" denotes uncertainty. Or summat like that?!

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
As I have just sent a client an email finishing with the line "Thanks and retards" I'd better not comment.

Who the hell put the G so close to the T on a keyboard.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I'm not bothered about spelling for the most part, unless the poster is a petty retard, who deserves it.

Punctuation is a bigger issue though. The occasional full stop or comma, really does make things so much easier to read.

A line between sentences helps as well I find, which you wouldn't normally do if you are writing a letter.

I always make loads of mistakes when typing as I try and do it too quick, I then read what I have posted and 9 times out of 10 I go back in and have to edit bits.

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
I don't mind poor spelling etc on here - but one thing that infuriates me - and more to do with that pile of shit Eastenders is the double negative. Can't people work it through - that "I don't know nuffing" means they know "something" ffs!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I'm not overly worked up by spelling mistakes and grammatical errors, but the 'could of' does annoy me.

There are some posters that are difficult to understand as they do not seem to be able to construct a sentence properly and have never heard of a 'paragraph'. Two posters immediatly spring to mind, but I shall not name them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here