Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Graham Potter tells Brighton fans: Stop shouting 'shoot'... it's putting off our players

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
Couldn't fault Trossard's application in trying to work himself into a position to get a shot off on Saturday. While all around were shouts of 'SHOOT!', the massed ranks of Norwich defenders were doing their damnedest to make sure he couldn't. How inconsiderate!

Well precisely...NORWICH defenders, not Liverpool or Man.City defenders...

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I see some fans are already jumping on him for saying something that the reporter appears to have made up for the headline.

Yup. Good to know its seen as ok on NSC and in British media to fabricate quotes however. Could have a lot of fun with that.

TV and newspapers cant call Boris Johnson a liar because it might be seen as libellous, however you can make up quotes from people. Interesting.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Well, exactly. Our very best starting XI might be able to play like Man City one game in four. But when you're down to Duffy, March and Gross.......

Typical of [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION] to pick four really shit teams as well. I'd settle for playing more like Villa, West Ham or Leicester, the teams we should be challenging if that "regular top ten" bollocks stands a chance of happening.

When Hughton was playing like that I thought that was how we had to approach the PL, soak up pressure, look for goals on the counter. In Murray, Gross at the time, Izqueirdo, sometimes Knocky, we had players that got us the goals when chances were scarce. That worked for 18months but when the defence started to leak goals, and you can go back to that night at Fulham, the wheels came off.

The reason Villa, West Ham and Leicester get their results is the quality in their attacking assets. Without Bowen and Benrahma, West Ham would be fighting out midtable with us, they then have Creswell stepping up and pinging free kicks into the top corner when things aren't going well. Against Norwich on Saturday with exactly the same play and chances we created those 3 sides would have all won 2 nil or better.

We replaced Hughton with what I thought was a clear change in philosophy - to be more attacking. Which we undoubtedly are, action areas, chances created, all the metrics comfirm we are a more attacking team - however the net result is we still haven't taken more of the chances.

So we could replace Potter with say Nuno, and get him to do what he did at Wolves, but where is our Neves / Jiminez to get you the goals when you're not creating as much?

Stick Neves and Jiminez in our team playing exactly the way we do, or Bowen / Benrahma, or Vardy / Maddison, Neves / Jiminez and it would be a different story - no change in tactics needed.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
When Hughton was playing like that I thought that was how we had to approach the PL, soak up pressure, look for goals on the counter. In Murray, Gross at the time, Izqueirdo, sometimes Knocky, we had players that got us the goals when chances were scarce. That worked for 18months but when the defence started to leak goals, and you can go back to that night at Fulham, the wheels came off.

The reason Villa, West Ham and Leicester get their results is the quality in their attacking assets. Without Bowen and Benrahma, West Ham would be fighting out midtable with us, they then have Creswell stepping up and pinging free kicks into the top corner when things aren't going well. Against Norwich on Saturday with exactly the same play and chances we created those 3 sides would have all won 2 nil or better.

We replaced Hughton with what I thought was a clear change in philosophy - to be more attacking. Which we undoubtedly are, action areas, chances created, all the metrics comfirm we are a more attacking team - however the net result is we still haven't taken more of the chances.

So we could replace Potter with say Nuno, and get him to do what he did at Wolves, but where is our Neves / Jiminez to get you the goals when you're not creating as much?

Stick Neves and Jiminez in our team playing exactly the way we do, or Bowen / Benrahma, or Vardy / Maddison, Neves / Jiminez and it would be a different story - no change in tactics needed.

So you're not buying the whole "Brighton would score more goals if they attacked less" theory? Weirdo.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I am starting to think he's too sensitive to be a top half Premier League coach. Precious after booing v Leeds and now this. Heaven forbid fans having expectation that we might score the odd goal.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

I’m starting to think our fans are too sensitive to be following a premier league team where the obvious boring quotes of a innocuous post match interview ( shoot when it makes sense, dont shoot when it doesnt, the crowd sometime chant “shoot”) are pored over to find a grievance to get offended by.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton

The problem with this is that under Potter our players' ability to score has regressed, so no doubt that would happen to Bowen, Benrahma et al.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
We've got a good young manager who is still learning.
We're playing against teams most weeks that have bigger budgets and better individual players.
Some of the football we've played this season has been good.
We're currently in 13th position out of every club in the country.
At the moment we're struggling, and with Arsenal, Spurs and Man City being our next three opponents things aren't going to look any better for a while.

It's time to stick together.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
The club (TB) believes that the best way of going forward is to recruit players with a similar style of those in Liverpool, Man City etc. rather than the kind of players you'll find in Burnley, Norwich etc. and it has been working fantastically fine for Brighton.

Fantastically fine is the first 5 games of this season with 12 points, 22 from the next 25 games not so much.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The problem with this is that under Potter our players' ability to score has regressed, so no doubt that would happen to Bowen, Benrahma et al.

How has it regressed? Maupay has already matched last season's total and could yet achieve his best PL haul. Trossard needs 1 more to equal his best PL return. Webster has never managed more than 3 goals in any league he's played in and his 2 from 15 apps this season. Mac Allister has 4 this season – the best return of his career with 8 games to go.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Doesn't actually say that though, does it?

Clickbait headline.

Article says: "The build-up suggests we’re getting there. Of course, the longer you go, you can hear the crowd, ‘shoot, shoot, shoot’, you know, and that sometimes is a challenge for the players."

Quite. Some so-called journalists can never shake off their tabloid imperatives. Unfortunately those who wish to read that 'Potter blames crowd for poor results' will do so, regardless if the facts :shrug:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Same for Pep Guardiola. Two years ago City had scored 76 goals after 30 games, this season only 70, so no doubt there's no point in signing Håland, Kane or Mbappe.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
How has it regressed? Maupay has already matched last season's total and could yet achieve his best PL haul. Trossard needs 1 more to equal his best PL return. Webster has never managed more than 3 goals in any league he's played in and his 2 from 15 apps this season. Mac Allister has 4 this season – the best return of his career with 8 games to go.

Oh come on! Are you being serious?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Come on. You're not keeping up with the narrative.

Brighton Albion are the worst team in the Premiership. Fact.

None of our players are any good, and the manager is clueless and just blames other people for the woeful performances. Zero shots on goal, players fighting among themselves on the pitch, and the owner already scouring Youtube for a replacement supremo, if not today then tomorrow.

:wink:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

I'm sorry, but if you're saying we can't get our own version of Bowen / Benrahma then we might as well give up, settle for 16th for a couple of seasons and reset with the inevitable relegation.

The players we certainly won't be getting are Salah / Grealish / Kane / Mane / KDB.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

Yeah, but you can prove anything with facts :rolleyes:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I'm sorry, but if you're saying we can't get our own version of Bowen / Benrahma then we might as well give up, settle for 16th for a couple of seasons and reset with the inevitable relegation.

The players we certainly won't be getting are Salah / Grealish / Kane / Mane / KDB.

Ehm did he really say that or is this the "make up things people say day"?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here