Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Graham Potter joins on four-year deal

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Also fitness - Mwepu’s brief return , Moder’s injury, Dunk’s recovery (and conversely Webster being out) all forced his hand in the last month or so.
(Maupay don’t forget started v Saints but it was Welbeck who shone in that match)
The Saints match was disappointing I was looking forward to seeing the new look team in the flesh.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Had me worried there, I had to look back at what I wrote. I had never heard of him so it was a reasonable first reaction :smile:

I have never been one to jump in with both feet.

You were on board pretty soon after that TBF and have never wavered.

Up until this season I think there's been quite a split on the appointment and you can read it in the early posts on this thread. It's almost totally polarised between "never heard of him, going to be a disaster, gone by January or down" to "plays great football and overachieves at Swansea, SING him up" with a bit of "I hope TB knows what he's doing". Perhaps the board was split initially by a fairly left field appointment and people either stayed in a camp or, in the case of me and Bold, swapped.

Either way, this season is surely proof that the gamble was worth it. Because the mad thing is that we probably could have done even better.

I'm not sure the description of that Swansea side has aged well. Celina, James, Rodon, Connor Roberts. Not exactly poor players. But you have to accept that GP played and improved them.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Just spent an entertaining bit of time looking back on this.
[MENTION=19]Icy Gull[/MENTION] and [MENTION=16159]Bold Seagull[/MENTION] with interesting initial posts on it :)

My reaction to him signing was a bit more positive than I was over the next two seasons.

But, in the end, I think he's united us all (except when [MENTION=1517]junior[/MENTION] is on a wind up) to the ways of the Potter. It's been a tremendous season. A little frustrating at home at times, but I can remember when the results weren't coming I was asked what would get me back on side and it was turning more of the games with chances into three points, competing with other clubs with around 30k home crowds and provincial fan bases (Wolves, Stains, Leicester) and aiming for 50 points. We've done all that while still playing good football and seeing players like Sanchez and Caicedo develop at a frightening speed.

Count me in for the Church of Potter. Anyone want to buy a horse?

Well, my initial posts on this thread were on the day Hughton was sacked, and I'll admit I was a tad sore about that as I was one who felt he deserved another season - for which I was wrong.

I didn't know much about Potter beforehand, so was nervous / cautious about such a left field appointment, but from the first couple of games I was sold and pretty much have been since. Not without rocky periods, questionable decisions etc. but some of the football he's had us playing and tactics employed have been fascinating to watch unfold. Form, confidence and belief for players comes and goes, and a manager can't always do a lot about that, but what we've always looked to do whether we're playing well or not is take the game on the front foot. We are lucky and have been lucky to have him, and in a lot of ways we've been perfect for his development too.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Arse fans getting thoroughly p@ssed off by Arteta, see their club failing to sign Potter whilst he’s snapped up elsewhere.

6DF0C6A5-754A-4C74-8C4A-9203969E8074.png

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
I get where you’re coming from. But this is probably the same for all international teams which have a style; the recent Spain and Germany WC winning teams come to mind. Also, he’ll be working with elite players who, in theory, should be more adaptable. Also, Potter’s style won’t be alien to any Man City or Liverpool players and Ben White and Webster will slot straight in. He’ll have his work cut out trying to retrain Pickford though.

Yeah fair point, I agree with that.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
He’ll become our next manager when Hughton is sacked at the end of the season. Can’t wait to see him build an attacking team and blood some of the youngsters.

I bet he grows a beard too.

:lolol:

:lolol:

#MysticMackenzie :moo:

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Happy Birthday Graham Potter

I thought his biggest greatest fan in the world would be posting this?

*COUGH COUGH COUGH*

Graham isn't the only legend who celebrates a birthday on May 20th, or 'The Christmas in May' as my multitude of fans like to call it.

Also, happy world bee day.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
*COUGH COUGH COUGH*

Graham isn't the only legend who celebrates a birthday on May 20th, or 'The Christmas in May' as my multitude of fans like to call it.

Also, happy world bee day.

Happy Birthday Mr F Superman. Have a good one.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Cheers gents. Had a good night out at a comedy gig in Hastings(!) Bumped into my friend Disco Stu, always a treat. Hope Mr Potter had a good one as well :)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Cheers gents. Had a good night out at a comedy gig in Hastings(!) Bumped into my friend Disco Stu, always a treat. Hope Mr Potter had a good one as well :)

I love football nicknames like that.

I know Fatty Tax Man, The Cardinal and Chip Pan Pete. However, they are all the same person!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here