Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Graham Potter joins on four-year deal

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
It's all about being paid the going rate. Potter has kept Brighton up 2 years in a row. By virtue of that he has helped earn the Club Millions. Why shouldn't he get paid the same going rate as other PL Managers ?

Potter came to Brighton with no PL credentials, so I understand why the Club tied him to a long contract on a very low rate but he has proven himself a capable Manager in the last 2 years. So if Brighton want to keep him then they need to match what others would potentially offer him.

Maybe its not all about the money.

GP wont stay forever but he wont leave because of money and it wont be for Newcastle.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
It's all about being paid the going rate. Potter has kept Brighton up 2 years in a row. By virtue of that he has helped earn the Club Millions. Why shouldn't he get paid the same going rate as other PL Managers ?

Potter came to Brighton with no PL credentials, so I understand why the Club tied him to a long contract on a very low rate but he has proven himself a capable Manager in the last 2 years. So if Brighton want to keep him then they need to match what others would potentially offer him.

No PL credentials. Surely you get paid based on the job not your credentials ? Else no one would ever get a pay rise as they progress

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Nope. Could have met him while I was doing my UEFA B course in Sandviken but on the day my class were going to meet the Östersund manager (who I had barely heard of) I said "**** it" because of the eight hour bus journey.

If you could step back in time you’d crawl all the way over broken glass to get there? :wink:

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
No PL credentials. Surely you get paid based on the job not your credentials ? Else no one would ever get a pay rise as they progress

What are ya reading buddy ? That's exactly what I said. He should be offered an increase in salary to fend off potential other " suitors "

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
0F65BC43-959B-4E87-93D3-229BBDD5A365.jpeg

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Is Pepsi taking a break from football, or just Citeh?

If you are gonna chuck the reported cash about, you've got go bigger than GP.

stewart_weir

Mar 19, 2017
All this talk of Potter going to the Geordies. Surely they will go for the greatest manager of all time in every known galaxy - Bielsa?

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
The part of the job that Potter likes best is coaching.
The part of the job that Potter likes least is dealing with the media.

Make your mind up whether you think he would leave a secure very well paid job at Brighton that he mostly enjoys, for an insecure extremely well paid job at Newcastle which will be in the eye of the global media 24/7 with massive expectations.

He's already a millionaire with a great lifestyle for him and his family.
GP is going nowhere for a couple of years at least.
His much lauded emotional intelligence will tell him not to go anywhere near the Newcastle job.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
FAKE.

It is a doctored screenshot of the "Graham Potter bats away links to Tottenham" article of May 7th.

It's a pretty poor effort too, when you look how they've chopped off part of the 'a' in 'and'. Not to mention the word 'Newcastle' doesn't line up with the rest of the text!

I can't see GP going to Newcastle. Yes, he's doing well at the moment and has the team playing nice football but, for a marquee signing from the uber-rich Saudis, I'd be aiming a bit higher (i.e. someone who's actually won something).

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
The part of the job that Potter likes best is coaching.
The part of the job that Potter likes least is dealing with the media.

Make your mind up whether you think he would leave a secure very well paid job at Brighton that he mostly enjoys, for an insecure extremely well paid job at Newcastle which will be in the eye of the global media 24/7 with massive expectations.

He's already a millionaire with a great lifestyle for him and his family.
GP is going nowhere for a couple of years at least.
His much lauded emotional intelligence will tell him not to go anywhere near the Newcastle job.

Agree with that, I can't see him wanting to go to Newcastle.

The Newcastle gig is a a huge risk for whoever gets it. If there is not immediate success they are going to be in the firing line pretty quickly. I think Graham values the job security he has at Brighton.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Agree with that, I can't see him wanting to go to Newcastle.

The Newcastle gig is a a huge risk for whoever gets it. If there is not immediate success they are going to be in the firing line pretty quickly. I think Graham values the job security he has at Brighton.

In an ideal world, the project at Brighton would be enough to keep him here but money (and lots of it) talks. There's also the potential of turning Newcastle into the big club all their fans think they are could also be a big draw. Potter is flavour of the month, but Newcastle will want to make a statement so I expect them to go for a "name"

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I'd say to any manager looking to take the Newcastle job, just look at the way the fans have treated Bruce. He's one of theirs and he's been given horrendous stick from the start

If I was an in demand manager, I wouldn't work under those owners and I wouldn't want to be at a club with those fans.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here