Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Graeme Smith joins Surrey

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Fuckers

Surrey have signed the South Africa captain, Graeme Smith, on a three-year contract in arguably the most eyecatching and significant piece of recruitment for county cricket in at least a decade.

Smith, who led his country to the top of the world Test rankings with their series in England last summer – including a century in his 100th Test at The Oval – has been cleared by Cricket South Africa to base himself and his family in London.

He is currently in Australia ahead of another eagerly-awaited series that starts in Brisbane next Friday, and the exact details of his plans for international cricket have still to be confirmed. But he is expected to spend the full 2013 season with Surrey.

The move is especially significant for Surrey after a turbulent and traumatic time in which their England Lions batsman Tom Maynard was found dead on London Underground tracks near Wimbledon, and Rory Hamilton-Brown, another of the bright young talents who had helped the county return to Division One of the County Championship, resigned the captaincy and was released to rejoin Sussex.

They have already signed two veterans of county cricket in the former Worcestershire batsman Vikram Solanki and the left-arm spinner Gary Keedy from Lancashire, and Smith will be a third old head in the dressing room to lead the talented youngsters who remain.

"Signing Graeme Smith on a three year deal is a massive coup for Surrey CCC," said Chris Adams, the team director. "As well as being one of the best captains in the modern game, he is a phenomenal opening batsman and will lead by example from the top of the innings.

"By signing a three-year deal, Graeme has demonstrated his commitment to Surrey on a long term basis and I look forward to working alongside him and the rest of our hugely talented squad to bring more silverware to this club in the near future."

Richard Thompson, the chairman, added: "I believe this a hugely important signing for Surrey. It demonstrates our ambition and commitment for the future. Wherever Graeme has played in the past he has left a superb leadership legacy and I have no doubt he will do the same at Surrey."

Smith, who will join the squad next March after South Africa's home series against Pakistan, said: "I am excited to be joining such a professional and talented team, during what will hopefully prove to be a rewarding and successful period for Surrey CCC.

"When you consider the ambition shown it was an easy decision for myself and my family and I would like to thank Surrey County Cricket Club and Cricket South Africa for giving me the opportunity to lead the side and make it possible.

"I am excited about what we can achieve at Surrey going forward and would like to state very clearly that I will balance my new role alongside my continuing commitments to the Proteas and I look forward to continuing to represent my country for many years to come."

Surrey sign South Africa Test captain Graeme Smith on three-year deal | Sport | guardian.co.uk

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
With all their money and they still cant win things. Maybe that will change.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here