Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] GP: I think that anyone who criticises someone like Dan Burn doesn't understand football.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
There's a lovely image for Dan's scrapbook on the Experimental361 timeline for last night's game: https://experimental361.com/2021/02/03/premier-league-timelines-2-4-feb-2021/

Nestled between Salah and Firmino, there's BDB in the top players by Xg. I like to think of his grandkids finding that in years to come and asking about the time he made the goal that beat Liverpool, only for him to shrug and just get on with stuff like he seems to do whenever we score.

It also shows just how skanky Palace were again

Love that we "beat" Liverpool by 1.4 to 0.8

Didn't know that.

Thought Salah second chance must be 0.5 on its own

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
ANYONE who says that someone else "doesn't understand football" is clearly being a cock. Them's the rules, and always were

Excellent, so apart from being out of his depth and clueless our manager is now a cock

I’m converted with such persuasive reasoning, Potter OUT

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Burns not up to Prem level in terms of being a defender imo. Traore and at times Salah etc have shown that. But in that other role he’s very effective and his work rate is unquestionable. He has done far better than I thought he would. Handy squad player, but not in my strongest 11. Not knocking the guy, just an opinion. Superb 2nd half last night after a shakey start.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Burns not up to Prem level in terms of being a defender imo. Traore and at times Salah etc have shown that. But in that other role he’s very effective and his work rate is unquestionable. He has done far better than I thought he would. Handy squad player, but not in my strongest 11. Not knocking the guy, just an opinion. Superb 2nd half last night after a shakey start.

To be fair - Traore & Salah are some of the most tricky in the world. In other games I certainly don't think he has let us down and how Potter used him yesterday appears to be somewhat of a masterstroke

May 5, 2020
Sussex
Dan Burn is the most unluckiest of our players.
He's had goals overruled by VAR, doesn't get a good run in the team but gets picked when he will be up against the best players in the world and even last night he was getting ready for maupay to square it so he could tuck it away,then maupay shot it ricocheted into Dan burns path and he skied it over the bar.im quite sure if maupay had passed it burn would have scored but it's another bit of bad luck which makes people think burn is worse than he is.
Despite all this he is always there for us ready to step into the fray and finally it looks like people are starting to appreciate him more.
And we'll done to potter for slapping down any critics of our players.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I’m happy to hold my hand up, as one who has previously commented negatively on Burn’s deployment anywhere other than on the left of the 3 CBs (he’s fine there).

That said, I’ve never, ever criticised his effort levels or honest endeavour, so do not feel that Potter’s comments are in any way a ‘dig’ at me (or anyone who has shared the same concerns).

The journo, asking the Dan Burn (and March, Pröpper) questions, is Andy Naylor.

He’s been shown up a few times - not for want of trying, but generally pace and not the most attacking. I think it’s fair comments but never have I seen anyone slate his effort which means an awful lot. Hands held up here too - I worried after he got done a few times early on and have it away - but proved me wrong and I’m so so so happy for that!

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Being serious for a moment, i really rate him as a central defender.
I genuinely think if he was a normal height and had only played on the left of a three we'd big him up as much as Webby.

AmexRuislip

Retired Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Dan Burn is a team player, all clubs have them, they just get on with the task, no frills and no fuss :thumbsup:

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
almost having a pop at fans again.

Don't make me go back to the fence Graham lol

He was asked a question, a little bit of a loaded question by you know who... He answered it, you cant argue with his answer...... what is the problem?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
To be fair - Traore & Salah are some of the most tricky in the world. In other games I certainly don't think he has let us down and how Potter used him yesterday appears to be somewhat of a masterstroke

Yes I wouldn’t say let us down. I just put Dunk, Webster, White and Veltman possibly ahead of him at CB. I’d like to see the Pole at LWB if you to it behind March. But Burn proved yeasterday there’s certain games he’s perfect for.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Excellent, so apart from being out of his depth and clueless our manager is now a cock

I’m converted with such persuasive reasoning, Potter OUT

Sorry but you lost the NSC dressing room the minute you removed the 'Fence' option from your endless fanboy polls :wave:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Sorry but you lost the NSC dressing room the minute you removed the 'Fence' option from your endless fanboy polls :wave:

I make a point of not doing “dithering” :lolol:

You’d be one of the first out of the dressing room too, too much negativity and shit stirring :wink:

THPP on a freebie, any takers?

The fact is, it is Potter who had selected Burn less frequently in recent games, not the critics among the fans. So Potter must have had his reasons. Yesterday proved that Burn is a total beast in attacking areas and there is no doubt that this gives us an extra weapon in that part of the pitch. The issue comes at the other end, where the ball gets surrendered too cheaply at times and maybe there is a lack of pace to keep track of the deadliest attackers. Liverpool lacked any of their usual ruthless zip of recent seasons last night and we weren’t punished. The discussion might be different now if we had been so. But with March out for however long, Burn will get his chance to show he is an automatic starter, we all hope he takes it!

Eric Youngs Contact Lens

Dec 9, 2020
East Sussex
To be fair, Burn has produced some absolute shockers of performances at times this season (the Wolves match springs to mind) for which it was perfectly justifiable to criticise him. He might "give it his all" but that doesn't excuse basic mistakes and poor positioning, he's a Premier League level footballer not an 8 year old in a school team.

I don't think anyone is above criticism, but the patronising, obnoxious "shouldnt be near the team" approach is what others are talking about. Like wise, criticism of GP on occasions about how some want to see him publicly denounce the team, its performances etc. the players - without it, to some it somehow suggests lack of "passion" which has been replaced by too much thinking.. his Wolves performance was poor albeit he was horribly exposed by team arrangements around him. His frustration that probably resulted in a penalty was there for all to see. His attitude and effort might not excuse mistakes, but it certainly should buy him the support to allow him to own them, learn and improve. However, "learning from our mistakes" is another red flag for some on here too. The theme of the positive comments from neutrals about our performnace last night was "courage". This courage is absolutely driven by the way GP and the team accept that mistakes will happen, but the environment they have is one of trying to learn from them and keep improving. BDB was the epitomy of courage last night.. he isn't 8 years old, but he is a human being whose confidence will need support from time to time.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Relax, folks. Many people working in football are contemptuous of fans.

It's the one thing I find stops me warming overly to Potter. Not the first time he's had a little pop at the fans. It's just a bit unnecessary (and interesting that the OP left out the little fact of the question he was asked and responding to, as he also loves to show his contempt towards the fans of the club while jerking off to Potter). Hats off to Potter as he has orchestrated quite the turn around in recent games. I had remained on the Fence with him (only just recently a little lean more towards Out) but we have been brilliant for the last 4 games and good on him. I love the Albion and have never criticised the lads directly at a game in person or on social media (well, just once at the end of the 0-5 at Scumhurst when I gave a thumbs down to the players at the end coming over) but I think he should be a bit more diplomatic at times.
As for Dan Bern, I put my comments on the other thread about him. He's an excellent squad player but should rarely be in the first 11, still incredibly useful to have in the group. Potter utilised him brilliantly for Liverpool and he played a blinder, well done to both.

And I don't understand football. Still a petty comment to make though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here