Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Government tells English football: change or be changed

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
oh my goodness , i only hope their plans for our national game and weekly pass time can emulate the outstanding efforts they have made in the areas of immigration and employment....:fucksake are they taking the piss:

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
I thought that FIFA outlawed any direct involvement in national team affars by the country's government? A couple of African and South American countries have been suspended for the same reason.

How far could the Government actually push reforms if the FA stonewalled?

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Change a success story, on the day that unemployment hits a 17 year high, they really should have better things to do

Gus is god

Banned
Sep 9, 2011
I thought that FIFA outlawed any direct involvement in national team affars by the country's government? A couple of African and South American countries have been suspended for the same reason.

Tbh Fifa is so corrupt i dont think the government would be over worried if we pull out im pretty sure there was recent calls to by some MP's when the corruption thing started.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I thought it was Labours job to be the country's nanny, not the Tories?

Gangsta

Jul 6, 2003
Withdean

This. If FIFA match previous actions, expect England to be suspended for the next Word Cup ( until its sorted out ). Would Government really push it to extent of our exclusion from tournament? One wonders if it really would be that much of a vote loser as these days everyone I know is sick to back teeth of England and wouldn't mind at all. Would be interesting to see anyhow.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I think the government are correct on this. Football does need to change, too much money in the hands of the rich clubs and not enough at the bottom. The FA is a joke, I'm sure we all agree on that point and yet when the government says so suddenly it is not the case. I'm as anti Tory as anyone but the fact that our political establishment (all three parties) has f***ed the country up does not mean that they are not correct with this statement.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Please God no. The f.a maybe useless and incapable but even those words are a million miles ahead of how this government have done since being elected.

Gus is god

Banned
Sep 9, 2011
I think the government are correct on this. Football does need to change, too much money in the hands of the rich clubs and not enough at the bottom. The FA is a joke, I'm sure we all agree on that point and yet when the government says so suddenly it is not the case. I'm as anti Tory as anyone but the fact that our political establishment (all three parties) has f***ed the country up does not mean that they are not correct with this statement.

The government are saying the FA have "[Football's] governance has failed to keep up with the modern game". Which i find hard to believe tbh

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

This.

No-one else seems to be calling the FA to account.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
The only problem I have with that piece on the BBC website is there is no explanation as to what needs changing? It all sound a little vague to me?

The FA look after the FA's interests, like how much richer can they get at the expense of lower league and grassroot football. Is this what they are addressing? I have no idea.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
The government are saying the FA have "[Football's] governance has failed to keep up with the modern game". Which i find hard to believe tbh

Really? The FA seem all but powerless to punish any indiscretions by the top clubs. They have still not replaced Ian Watmore as Chief Exec nearly 18 months since his resignation, when they have had a Chief Exec for the previous 21 years. Beneath that they are effectively run by the Premier League, a clear case of the tail wagging the dog. I can't see how anyone can be happy with the way football is run in this country.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The only problem I have with that piece on the BBC website is there is no explanation as to what needs changing? It all sound a little vague to me?

The FA look after the FA's interests, like how much richer can they get at the expense of lower league and grassroot football. Is this what they are addressing? I have no idea.

From the Department of CMS website...

DCMS responds to select committee on football governance

DCMS has today published its response to the Culture, Media and Sport’s (CMS) select committee report into football governance.

The CMS inquiry, which began in February, heard from a wide range of witnesses from the world of football and published its findings on 29 July.

The Government’s response to the select committee’s report sets out a number of recommendations for football. These include looking at the creation of a modern, accountable and representative Football Association (FA) Board, the implementation of a licensing framework administered by the FA in close cooperation with the professional game and changes to the decision-making structures within the FA.

The Government will now look for the football authorities to work together, agree and publish a joint response by the end of February 2012 on how they plan to take these recommendations forward.

The Government has also welcomed the select committee’s attention on supporter involvement and would like to see football authorities encourage clubs to have open dialogue with supporters’ groups and trusts about how the club is run and for fans to be placed at the heart of the club.

Sports Minister Hugh Robertson said: “This country is hugely passionate about our national game and there are many reasons we should be pleased with how it has progressed over the last two decades. However, I believe that there are improvements that can be made in the governance arrangements, which have failed to keep up with the changing pace of the modern game. I do not want Government to run football, so this is an opportunity for the football family to work together to benefit the game in the long-term.”

http://www.culture.gov.uk/images/publications/Football_governance_15427_Cm_8207_2.pdf

SI 4 BHA

Nov 12, 2003
westdene, brighton
QUOTE=Pantani;4445120]I think the government are correct on this. Football does need to change, too much money in the hands of the rich clubs and not enough at the bottom. The FA is a joke, I'm sure we all agree on that point and yet when the government says so suddenly it is not the case. I'm as anti Tory as anyone but the fact that our political establishment (all three parties) has f***ed the country up does not mean that they are not correct with this statement.[/QUOTE]

Well, it seems that the like of Liverpool still don't think they are getting a big enough share of the cake! Greedy bastards!

BBC Sport - Liverpool say top clubs should be able to sell their own foreign TV rights

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
From the Department of CMS website...

DCMS responds to select committee on football governance

DCMS has today published its response to the Culture, Media and Sport’s (CMS) select committee report into football governance.

The CMS inquiry, which began in February, heard from a wide range of witnesses from the world of football and published its findings on 29 July.

The Government’s response to the select committee’s report sets out a number of recommendations for football. These include looking at the creation of a modern, accountable and representative Football Association (FA) Board, the implementation of a licensing framework administered by the FA in close cooperation with the professional game and changes to the decision-making structures within the FA.

The Government will now look for the football authorities to work together, agree and publish a joint response by the end of February 2012 on how they plan to take these recommendations forward.

The Government has also welcomed the select committee’s attention on supporter involvement and would like to see football authorities encourage clubs to have open dialogue with supporters’ groups and trusts about how the club is run and for fans to be placed at the heart of the club.

Sports Minister Hugh Robertson said: “This country is hugely passionate about our national game and there are many reasons we should be pleased with how it has progressed over the last two decades. However, I believe that there are improvements that can be made in the governance arrangements, which have failed to keep up with the changing pace of the modern game. I do not want Government to run football, so this is an opportunity for the football family to work together to benefit the game in the long-term.”

http://www.culture.gov.uk/images/publications/Football_governance_15427_Cm_8207_2.pdf

CMS has his own department... well played that lad! Sorry.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
True but we didnt get a whole lot of support over the corruption issue. The major European footballing nations stayed quiet and then Platini did his usual bit of trying to secure his protion to FIFA presidency in a few years by backing Blatter!

If we flounced out of FIFA everyone would watch and wave. At least we might win a World Cup, albeit the Amateur World Cup!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Spot on. I can't believe people are moaning at this. How many of you are HAPPY with the way our game is being run? If a democratically elected government can't feel sufficiently moved to tell them to get their arses into gear then who can?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Like this bit

Too many of the problems faced by clubs and the supporters who try to rescue them have been caused when the ground becomes separated from the club.

We support the Committee’s recommendation that there should be a presumption against selling a ground, unless it is in the best interests of the club.

The Government recommends that the football authorities include this condition within the terms of the new licensing system and that it is rigorously enforced.

In addition the provisions in the Localism Bill currently before Parliament could offer significant assistance to supporters.

For example, they would enable local supporters to apply to the local authority to have a facility such as a football ground or training ground listed as an ‘asset of community value’.

Where that asset is then subsequently offered for sale, supporters or the wider community would have a period in which they could mount a bid for that asset.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
except, of course, for us selling the ground eventually WAS in the best interests of the club. Although we didn't know that at the time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here