Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gout Advice?

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
As I said earlier, I was never recommended any diet for gout, but I drank loads of red wine (at least a bottle EVERY night for over 5 years) with no obvious problem - not that I drink much of anything any more, but not because of gout.

Its different strokes for different folks obviously. I wasnt recommended to do or not do anything either but, as has already been said, with that pain you will try anything to make sure it doesnt come back.

Lewes Seagull

Jan 23, 2010
I'm getting worried here. A while ago there was a thread on thyroid trouble, which I have, and now a thread on gout which I also get. Please don't start a thread on heart attacks. I don't want to tempt fate! :(

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Well, a big thumbs up for all the advice... I will work through all the tried and trusted remedies one at a time and see if any of them work for me!

I really thought that people my age didn't get gout so in a strange sort of way I'm glad I'm not the only one. Saying that I wouldn't wish this pain on anyone apart from people that have shafted our great club of course!

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I got my first twinge of gout during the Liverpool match, it got bad in the first half of the Leeds match and now it is terrible. Right big toe swelled up.

I asked another gout sufferer and he said the medication made it worse and his Doctor seemed to imply he deserved it.

It has now died down. I am beginning to think it was an allergic reaction because I wanted to kick someone, or the ball into the net. Keg beer or cider in copious quantities tends to worsen it. Real cider seems to make it better.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
My Gout was VERY bad from mid 30's onwards. I read up on it a great deal and now avoid Offal, some seafood (i.e. mussels etc) and marmite, bovril and asparagus. However, what I didn't realsie until a few years later is that worse than all these and alcohol is MSG as found in most processed foods and especially in Chinese takeaways. I now have most things in moderation and drink plaenty of water, with 100 mg of allopurinol and no attacks for some time.

Flumpyj

Mar 3, 2009
Another vote for the cherries,started eating them after my last attack and havent had another since,take the meds given to me by the doc as well.Also the supermarkets have started to sell cherry juice and im having a go at that as well,Hope the pain goes soon.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I used to get gout attacks from my late 20s until a couple of years ago when I started taking Allopurinol daily. I did go back for a blood test after I started taking it and got the dose upped though.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Diets don't work - daily ALLOPURINOL is the only lasting answer !

They may work for you but I'm on 200mg per day and still getting attacks!

The thought of never eating a chinese meal again is on a par with never drinking beer again! I'm not happy about that!

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
My Gout was VERY bad from mid 30's onwards. I read up on it a great deal and now avoid Offal, some seafood (i.e. mussels etc) and marmite, bovril and asparagus. However, what I didn't realsie until a few years later is that worse than all these and alcohol is MSG as found in most processed foods and especially in Chinese takeaways. I now have most things in moderation and drink plaenty of water, with 100 mg of allopurinol and no attacks for some time.

Can you advise some other foods that contain MSG?

SICKASAGULL

Aug 26, 2007
Thank you cirC for a very interesting and detailed explanation,many years ago a fellow worker in his late twenties used to have attacks following his regular Friday night booze ups and was told the complaint was rife amongst the officer grades serving in India who tended to drink large quantaties of Port and red wine,your item clearly indicates there is a lot more to this painful illness.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
"Normally" used as a flavour enhancer, so predominately in processed foods, i.e. foods with additives for flavour or product life.

Best to stick to home made or high quality if you are looking at chilled meals and avoid most take aways. Not sure about Indian takeaways, am thinking they may not contain MSG.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
One of the best ways to stave off gout is hydration, if you have a few pints of beer etc make sure you have a few pints of water!

I tend to work on a three to one ratio, so if I'm out on the pop I'll have a couple of sly halves of water alongside the third pint, makes you pee more but you'll be so chuffed you did it next day.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Gout

:nono::nono::nono::down:
I've been suffering with acute gout attacks for about 4 years now... I take all the meds that the doc prescribes but still get attacks about every 3-4 months!

It Fecking crucifies me and my quack is not very helpful! I'm having another attack now in my right foot (Metatarsal area)!

Anyone else suffer and if so how do you contain it?

Yes i do mate and i know how you feel its f***ing agony !!! Try Naproxen prescription from your GP as well as a little gem i found also on precscription which is Colchizine, failing that some use Alapurinol

The reason that I'm posting on here is because I'm getting desperate to sort this as it's costing me fortunes in lost wages as well as being in agony!

No wimp comments allowed coz if you ain't had it you wouldn't understand the pain, trust me, lol!

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
I have taken Allopurinol for about 12 years now (100mg once daily) and rarely, if ever have any problems now. I had very bad attacks before the meds. Before knowing what it was I once ended up in A&E at the Royal Sussex because I thought my wrist was broken, it was so bad and swollen. Most of the attacks were in one of my big toes though.

Exactly this for me, apart from i ended up in A&E in Bridgend and it was not my wrist but my knees and feet, like another poster at the time it was so bad i would have accepted amputation, pain like I have never had before, but I have been on the Allopurinol for about 4 years now, and fingers crossed, not a problem worth talking about.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
They may work for you but I'm on 200mg per day and still getting attacks!

The thought of never eating a chinese meal again is on a par with never drinking beer again! I'm not happy about that!

You can ask for a chinese without MSG which they'll gladly do, although it's akin to alcohol free lager, you may as well not bother!

Buy good quality ingredeints and have a go yourself, it's great.

BTW all this advice and I still have 300mg of allopurinol per day, which I think puts me at the top of the charts!

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
You can ask for a chinese without MSG which they'll gladly do, although it's akin to alcohol free lager, you may as well not bother!

Buy good quality ingredeints and have a go yourself, it's great.

BTW all this advice and I still have 300mg of allopurinol per day, which I think puts me at the top of the charts!

My wife often does make her own chinese but it's not the same though... She is a good cook and it is a good effort all the same...

I was put on 500mg of allopurinal per day but that just triggered more outbreaks so I made the choice to drop it down. I thought it was working for me until yesterday so plan Z is my last hope before I start self amputating lol!

I'm still not happy about taking any medicines on a regular basis.. I worry about the long term affects of taking medication and do take these pills under duress. (I even have trouble swallowing them TBH). I do take them though but if attacks continue then I may reconsider.

I have had a PM today from somebody that may well be able to help.. Fingers crossed.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I'm trying to lose a stone in weight and then drop down to 100mg.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
How would someone recognise if they had Gout or not ?

Read several times on this thread " i had my first attack of gout" , How would you know it was gout if you are not a doctor ans what are the symptoms ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here