Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Got to be Wilkins - and quick!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Wilkins was fired because those in a position to see how things were being handled day in and day out realised he was not the right man for the job. And now some people (who see maybe 2% of how he worked say he is the right man for the job and he should never have been fired? I'll say again, good grief.

Sorry Juan, but that is bollocks. Wilkins was fired because he didn't always do what Knight wanted. He wasn't a yes man. That is all, and I am fed up with this constant inference that there was some other reason for it.

J2 DOG

Feb 28, 2009
Hove
Wilkins lacked bollocks as a player and bollocks as a manager.He should never have been given the job.He was a top youth coach ,that was his level.Thanks to Mr Knight we lost a top youth coach. We should have got a good manager in after Mcghee instead of taking the happy shopper option.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Wilkins lacked bollocks as a player and bollocks as a manager.

But I thought one of the reasons he got the sack was for siding with Dean Hammond against Dick Knight during Hammond's contract negotiations? That does'nt sound like a manager lacking bollocks to me!

J2 DOG

Feb 28, 2009
Hove
Any manager would have to try and keep there captain and there only decent midfielder who incidentally we still not have replaced!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
But I thought one of the reasons he got the sack was for siding with Dean Hammond against Dick Knight during Hammond's contract negotiations? That does'nt sound like a manager lacking bollocks to me!

Excellent point. And frankly I would rather have a manager that stood up to Knight than one who just does everything he says. Wilkins was still learning but had a lot of potential. It always felt we were building something for the future with Wilkins, since he left we have just been looking back into the past.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Any manager would have to try and keep there captain and there only decent midfielder who incidentally we still not have replaced!

A manager lacking bollocks would'nt side with a player against the chairman, I agree that Hammond has never been replaced but that has to go down as another black mark against the chairman. Wilkins was'nt allowed the money to keep his captain and build a team around him, Where as Adams was allowed endless funds for midfielders just to warm the bench and god knows how much it cost us to have Savage for a month?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here