Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Got to be Wilkins - and quick!

Albion overseas

Dec 12, 2008
Have reliable source that says if Wilkins is approached he could be willing to return. He isn't still being payed up by the club (like we all thought) still lives relatively locally and with his history as player, coach, Manager for god knows how many years in total (20 I think) why not?

Forget what has happened and lets do something that saves the club. What has gone has gone.

We need stability, a good youth policy, attractive football and somebody who knows what BHAFC are all about.

I would have him back in a shot and I would also make more of Martin Hinshelwood.

:thumbsup:

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Even if this rumour had any credibility, and even though I think Dean Wilkins was a very good manager who had never gone, I'm not sure he was the right sort of manager to get us out of this crisis. We need someone to come in a quickly give the players confidence and belief, and use what we have to make a team capable of grinding out some much needed wins. Wilkins was the sort of quiet manager who slowly built his team and worked out a tactical plan that brought success - I'm not sure how he'd cope with trying to turn around a terrible team in 14 games.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Even if this rumour had any credibility, and even though I think Dean Wilkins was a very good manager who had never gone, I'm not sure he was the right sort of manager to get us out of this crisis. We need someone to come in a quickly give the players confidence and belief, and use what we have to make a team capable of grinding out some much needed wins. Wilkins was the sort of quiet manager who slowly built his team and worked out a tactical plan that brought success - I'm not sure how he'd cope with trying to turn around a terrible team in 14 games.
I completely agree. Also bringing back a manager you sacked 9 months ago is just ridiculous. However much Wilkins should not have been sacked, bringing him back is not the answer.

O Lads

Dec 16, 2004
Surely Adams has proved that you should never go back. He was twice the manager Wilkins ever was first time round, and look what happened to him.

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
' still lives relatively locally '

i would consider hill brow very local infact 5 mins from withdean.
i also know he would never say yes.

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
With all this talk of getting old players in because of their passion for the club eg Wilkins and Stevens, why don't we just bite the bullet and ask Mark 'Lawro' Lawrenson?

After all, his punditry and predictions on 'MOTD' and 'Five Live' are SO insightful! :tosser:

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
I liked Wilkins ut he shouldn't come back. He was a good coach but i'm not sure i liked him as a manager to be honest. He never seemed like he was the real manager only a caretaker.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Yep get him back and let him build a team again. No chance all the time Knight is there though I am afraid.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Surely Adams has proved that you should never go back.
He has proved you should never make decisions based on nostalgia.

"Never go back" is a trite cliche and means nothing.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Wilkins was fired because those in a position to see how things were being handled day in and day out realised he was not the right man for the job. And now some people (who see maybe 2% of how he worked say he is the right man for the job and he should never have been fired? I'll say again, good grief.

Sadly, it won't happen. Pride would get in the way from both sides I would imagine - but beyond that - who would agree to take this job back now?

If you built something from basically scratch, honed and crafted it into something special filled with potential from your care, and someone took it away from you.
Then some other jobby gets handed that something, scratches and dents it, carelessly damaging and devaluing your lovely item - before the person who took it away hands it back to you and says "please rebuild it again like it was before".

Almost everybody would tell them to stuff it right where sun doesn't shine.

DW is probably rather jaundiced by his experience, and like Giraffe says - working under this chair and board would likely stick in his craw and Knight won't want to offer the job anyway.

He was the person who really was "taking us forward", to repeat the well-worn cliche

Wilkins was fired because those in a position to see how things were being handled day in and day out realised he was not the right man for the job. And now some people (who see maybe 2% of how he worked say he is the right man for the job and he should never have been fired? I'll say again, good grief.

The squad were shocked when he went, so who exactly are the insiders and 'experts' who "realised he was not the right man for the job"?

Experts, eh? :shootself

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
what manager would want to take us on in our current predicament, get us relegated and then get sacked? Any sensible manager would wait, see us relegated and then take over in the summer without having a relegation on his cv.

we should give a "wise old head" (can't think of one but there must be an Atkinson, Bassett or Pleat out there, Barry LLoyd perhaps????) a 3 month contract to tell White and Booker what to do. Why do we expect to get more from White and Booker than we did from Adams, Crichton, White and Booker?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here