Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gosh what if the UK LEFT nato and the zero rate of VAT on new homes was..

• Thread starter Deleted User X18H
  • Start date

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Englands f***ing finished , i'm off to dubai, they've got sky sports so i can watch the football, and petrol and food are cheaper too.

spain is closer so the footballs on at a reasonable time. but then its full of africans and the shopping isnt as good. but only 50 quid on easyjet so i can get back to england every five minutes even though its only apparently seconds from oblivion.

hmm decisions decisions.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
What about offering everyone irrespective of wealth and status free school meals and loft insulation, its crazy spend spend spend.
£2bn for free school meals seems like money well spent to me, especially when you consider the amount we're pissing up the wall with Trident. What is it? £100bn?

for all Englands faults I never get the ex pat mentality. A gas guzzler some sunshine and massive steaks in the fridge that are cheaper is too big a price to pay for selling out your country to live under the yanks or arabs.

They then spend there whole time pitched up in pubs watching briitish football and banging on about 'Englands finished' and how clever they are to have got out to Dubai or somewhere else desolate and run by loonies. England is brilliant that is exactly why people want to come here. All the 'its finished' merchants would probably have been giving broken down panzers a push in 1940 if they had invaded. Not what Englands about at all that mentality.

Well said that man!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
ended, increasing house prices by about 44 grand here in Brighton.

Voting Green? Is this what you really mean?

I don't think you quite grasp the thinking here.

The idea of ending the VAT on new homes is to stop people building on greenfield sites and start looking at renovating empty homes and commercial buildings first. For example, there's that monstrosity in Preston Road that has been empty for years - or the disused Preston Barracks, which supposedly has been acquired for development but has stood empty for years and years.

So, it's not about putting up prices of property, it's to try to use the ones we already have better (there are an estimated a million empty homes in the UK that could be put to better use).

Besides, your calculation assumes that a) every property for sale in Brighton is a new build and b) that VAT would be levied at 17.5% which is not necessarily the case.

There are several things that I think that the Green Party has got wrong but its efforts in trying to build on brownfield sites is not one of them.

I haven't read the literature as there is no Green candidate here [Winchester]. Does this tax apply to NEW homes on brownfield sites?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I haven't read the literature as there is no Green candidate here [Winchester]. Does this tax apply to NEW homes on brownfield sites?

From what I can see, the answer is Yes but that's the current situation. "End the zero-rating of VAT on new dwellings, putting them on a level with conversions and renovations of existing dwellings."

It does seem strange that if the whole idea is to encourage brownfield development, they haven't proposed reducing this but I'm not a member of the party and I certainly don't support all their idea so I don't want to be a spokesman for them.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
A firend of mine was walking up his path to be met half way by a Green canvasser who gave him a leaftlet, he remarked (as a joke) I'll put that in the recycling bin then shall i ? she did'nt get it, :laugh: and snatched it back saying, in that case i'll have it back.

It made me laugh

D

Deleted User X18H

HB & B
You've not responded to Gywlan's corrections, are you accepting he's correct? could you not that have thought that out for yourself before posting Tory propoganda?

He hasn't made any corrections he had simply utilized his democratic right to give either give his own opinion relating to the Green manifesto or make comparison with what the Tory and Labour party's might do in relation to what is stated in the Green party manifesto.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
There's just too many football and cheap petrol immigrants in Dubai for my liking.

I'm going to support the Emirati National Party in next week's elections with their policy of compulsory repatriation for boorish expats who wear football shirts and shorts whilst walking aimlessly around the shopping malls looking for places to watch Premiership football.

:wink:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It does seem strange that if the whole idea is to encourage brownfield development, they haven't proposed reducing this but I'm not a member of the party and I certainly don't support all their idea so I don't want to be a spokesman for them.

there is a large amount of energy and water that goes into making a new home, so i wouldnt be surprised if they were against all new homes. to be fair it is slightly odd exemption from VAT.

not nearly as odd as aviation fuel - is that addressed by the Greens?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
He hasn't made any corrections he had simply utilized his democratic right to give either give his own opinion relating to the Green manifesto or make comparison with what the Tory and Labour party's might do in relation to what is stated in the Green party manifesto.

Well, that's not true.

You said that the Greens were offering loft conversions to everyone regardless of wealth and I pointed out that that wasn't in the manifesto.

Although to be fair to HB&B, he did accept that he'd got that bit wrong and corrected himself.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
not nearly as odd as aviation fuel - is that addressed by the Greens?

Yes, it is.

"Introduce VAT and fuel duty on aviation, raising £7bn in 2010 and £10bn by 2013."

I'm amazed that no other party suggests this. I don't really see why the aviation industry gets off so easily. I'd love to see it introduced just to see Michael O'Leary explode.

Another Green policy worth commenting on is the mutualisation of football clubs - although it's a bit sketchy as to how achieve this.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
... Trident. What is it? £100bn?

for a better perspective, thats across the life time, so about 30 years. those school dinner would cost £60Billion over the same period.

agree about aviation fuel, well overdue. i was quite flummoxed when i learnt that, didnt they introduce the passenger tax on the grounds of being green???

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I think the reason why a tax on aviation rather than aviation fuel was introduced was that you can control who gets on and off flights in the UK so the tax is unavoidable. But if the tax was on fuel then airlines would refuel where they wouldn't pay the tax and so revenue could be avoided.

So the Government weren't as daft after all?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here