Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gosbts old chesnut!

Robdinho

Jul 26, 2004
been posted a few times:rolleyes:

I've seen that one and it's a lovely video, but when I said a 'proper recorded version' I meant a proper recorded version (like the instrumental version) rather than a singalong in a pub. :rolleyes:

I just wondered why, in the century or so since the song was written, no one seems to have been into a recording studio to record a version of it with singing on, that's all. I'd imagine someone has, but it's just not made it onto youtube - anyone know of one?

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I made that video. The club were asked if it's something they'd be interested in and it was dismissed fairly abruptly. So i don't think it'll happen!

Bar the opening image, I've used pictures provided by some NSC posters (with permission) so if the club ever did want to use it, signing off the assets would be fairly straight forward.

Here's another one I made in about half hour, on an ANCIENT pc that hardly worked! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIhefDEZM0c Interestingly it uses the same music, and the same clips, in the same order, as the one the club produced several months later at the opening of the AMEX.. of course the quality of the clubs video is far superior - as they used FCP/AE and committed a bit more time/money to it!!

I've seen that one and it's a lovely video, but when I said a 'proper recorded version' I meant a proper recorded version (like the instrumental version) rather than a singalong in a pub. :rolleyes:

I just wondered why, in the century or so since the song was written, no one seems to have been into a recording studio to record a version of it with singing on, that's all. I'd imagine someone has, but it's just not made it onto youtube - anyone know of one?

I've heard paul barber was forming a choir from the workers in the club shop and they are going to record gosbts but they just need to find a name for said choir.:rolleyes:

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
I've heard paul barber was forming a choir from the workers in the club shop and they are going to record gosbts but they just need to find a name for said choir.:rolleyes:

Barber...

Barber Shop....

Barber Shop Quartpot....

No, just can't find the inspiration

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
The main thing is that they play it in a lower key than they do at the moment. I'm a girlie and even I can't hit those high notes. So it's nigh on impossible for blokes to sing it.
Totally agree. Although that key (C maj) was okay for growling WWI squaddies, it doesn't suit modern male voices. It needs to be transposed electronically to about half an octave lower. Simple job for the Amex media team.

curly69

Jan 4, 2006
sydney
I live in Oz i come on here day in day out for the past 5 or so years i do not post much,i am the d word (can't spell it but you know what i mean) so find doing this very hard.But Sussex-by-sea song means the world to me every true fan should sing with pride when the team runs onto the pitch, it is up to you guys to make sure the club knows we are passionate about keeping it.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
Don't care how cheesy people think it is just get it up on the screen when the teams come out and let's all sing along it's our anthem let's use it and be proud of it . Most off us at the moment just clap along and go der der der der der der der , surely it would be more rousing with everyone singing all the words in unison , this is our "you'll never walk alone ", " were forever blowing bubbles"let's embrace it,brings a lump to my throat everytime I hear it even more so with 30,000 singing along to every word .

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
[MENTION=3552]Moshe Gariani[/MENTION] [MENTION=307]Biscuit[/MENTION] [MENTION=12634]Return of the Rev[/MENTION]

It seems that our anthem on the screens with words will not happen. I've been thinking from my seat in WSU over the last few games.

In front of the North Stand there are some advertsing hoardings, with the ads facing out to the pitch. Is there anything on the reverse facing the fans?

My suggestion is that we ask the club/rent the space to get the words of SBTS on the back of these hoardings facing the North Stand. There must be at least 8 of these hoardings, enough to put each line of the song on the back of one hoarding.

The fans that aren't confident of the words would then be able to join with a 'properly paced and properly sung' version of OUR ANTHEM.

Once the North get singing it properly it should build momentum and get picked up all around the ground.

Any thoughts? worth a try?

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
What are the lines? I know the obvious 4 or 5 lines, but where does it start out?

I was thinking of just the first verse, but here are the first 2:

Now is the time for marching
Now let your hearts be gay
Hark to the merry bugles
Sounding along our way
So let your voices ring, my boys,
And take the time from me
And I'll sing you a song, as we march along,
Of Sussex by the Sea.

For we're the men from Sussex
Sussex by the sea,
We plough and sow and reap and mow,
And useful men are we:
And when you go from Sussex,
Whoever you may be,
You can tell them all that we stand or fall
For Sussex by the sea.

Oh, Sussex, Sussex by the sea
Good old Sussex by the Sea
You may tell them all that we stand or fall
For Sussex by the sea.

Dec 29, 2011
I was thinking of just the first verse, but here are the first 2:

Now is the time for marching
Now let your hearts be gay
Hark to the merry bugles
Sounding along our way
So let your voices ring, my boys,
And take the time from me
And I'll sing you a song, as we march along,
Of Sussex by the Sea.

For we're the men from Sussex
Sussex by the sea,
We plough and sow and reap and mow,
And useful men are we:
And when you go from Sussex,
Whoever you may be,
You can tell them all that we stand or fall
For Sussex by the sea.

Oh, Sussex, Sussex by the sea
Good old Sussex by the Sea
You may tell them all that we stand or fall
For Sussex by the sea.

So people actually sing them first two verses? I can honestly say I've never heard them in my life, no wonder people don't know the words.

Buckley's Mad Eye

Oct 27, 2012
I made that video. The club were asked if it's something they'd be interested in and it was dismissed fairly abruptly. So i don't think it'll happen!

Bar the opening image, I've used pictures provided by some NSC posters (with permission) so if the club ever did want to use it, signing off the assets would be fairly straight forward.

Here's another one I made in about half hour, on an ANCIENT pc that hardly worked! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIhefDEZM0c Interestingly it uses the same music, and the same clips, in the same order, as the one the club produced several months later at the opening of the AMEX.. of course the quality of the clubs video is far superior - as they used FCP/AE and committed a bit more time/money to it!!
Great stuff. Cheers.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
First verse and chorus, that's all that's played.
Good idea, is it worth broaching the subject with club ?
The subject has been broached with the club, in various forms, many times. Over the past couple of years, various people have tried to persuade them to (1) Produce an entirely new and original recording, featuring real Albion singers (2) Have Drumstick's excellent video up on the big screens, and (3) Have the existing version transposed into a key that everyone can comfortably sing along to. All, sadly, to no avail.

Given all the regularly-regurgitated interest in SBTS, there is no reason why a bunch of fans should not, independently of the club, get together to sing – and maybe even record – a sung version of their own. Whether for their own amusement, or posterity. I'd be very happy to get involved.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here