Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

GOSBTS Falmer

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
I have a bloody great samurai sword in my cupoboard at home and I kid you not if GOSBTS gets dropped blood will flow!!!!

However... ( and breathe.....) there is no reason why we can't change the lyrics.... Keept he GOSBTS bit and have seagulls related lyrics... there's no law against it and seeign as hardly anyone know the real lyrics let's make them and own them.

Simples.... and less blood will be shed.

Slough Seagull

Bye Bye Slough
Nov 23, 2006
If you're suggesting that we have the team run out to anything other than GOSBTS, then I have to totally disagree.

If we stop using GOSBTS we might as well start playing in lime green and purple hoops. It is our song, it represents our club and our county and should never be changed for some here today, gone tomorrow pop crap that any other club in the league could use just because it has 'a beat to it'.

Would West Ham change "I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles"? Would Liverpool change "You'll Never Walk Alone"? No, of course they wouldn't, and nor should we change GOSBTS.

Ever.

:bowdown:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
why cant they revive the words that Norman Wisdon put to the original tune.

Words are something like this:

Were the team from Brighton
Brighton by the sea
Eleven players and a crowd
That will roar them to victory
So shout you fans lets hear your roar
Clap your hands until there soar
for we'r going up
and we will win the cup
Its Brighton now for sure.

Hove by jove thats us
We're always fair
we never swear
but now its hit or bust
so shout you fans until you'r soar
clap you're hands until we score
for were going up to win the cup
its Brighton now for sure

maybe slightly wrong but I am sure one of the other oldies will put it right.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
why cant they revive the words that Norman Wisdon put to the original tune.

Words are something like this:

Brighton by the sea
Eleven players and a crowd
That will roar them to victory
So shout you fans lets hear your roar
Clap your hands until there soar
for we'r going up
and we will win the cup
Its Brighton now for sure.

Hove by jove thats us
We're always fair
we never swear
but now its hit or bust
so shout you fans until you'r soar
clap you're hands until we score
for were going up to win the cup
its Brighton now for sure

maybe slightly wrong but I am sure one of the other oldies will put it right.

That is utter gash, we would be the laughing stock of the league if we adopted that as a song, i'd much rather sing the word gay (oh heavens no!)

than 'Hove by Jove thats us' :safeway:

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
If you're suggesting that we have the team run out to anything other than GOSBTS, then I have to totally disagree.

If we stop using GOSBTS we might as well start playing in lime green and purple hoops. It is our song, it represents our club and our county and should never be changed for some here today, gone tomorrow pop crap that any other club in the league could use just because it has 'a beat to it'.

Would West Ham change "I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles"? Would Liverpool change "You'll Never Walk Alone"? No, of course they wouldn't, and nor should we change GOSBTS.

Ever.

What I like about 'Bubbles' at Upton Park is that they cut the music track amd the crowd takes over ('Fortune's always 'iding...').

If we could do something similar and get the whole ground to sing the chorus, cued into doing it at the right pace, then that would be a much more spine-tingling start to the game than currently. Maybe do the same at the end if we win.

...Der de der de der der der
tumtum te tumtum tuumm...

'AND WE'RE GOING UP
TO WIN THE CUP
FOR SUSSEX BY THE SEA
(altogether now)

:clap2::clap2:

GOOD OLD SUSSEX BY THE SEA
ETC ETC'

PG

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Still love the idea of an 'ultras' section. 30 kids acting all hard and that

stu7878

mid air general
Oct 9, 2008
My problem with GOSBTS these days is that it gets 'sung' way to quickly. Sometimes I can't even say all the words in time!! It would have much more effect as a terrace chant if we all slowed right down. Spurs fans do it with something can't remember what (when the spurs go marching in?) and its slowed down effect is ace.
We should at least sing it at its intended tempo if nothing else!

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
It went down very well when Norman Wisdom, who was an Albion director sung it at the Goldstone.

That was in 1965. The fans did not like the original words being mucked around with and didn't sing it. It was dropped and forgotten about very soon afterwards. The Wisdom lyrics reflect the speech mannerisms of a man of the 1950s, and so belong nowhere.

The original words have an archaic charm, and powerful emotional overtones, having been sung in the trenches by soldiers of the Royal Sussex Regiment before they went over the top. And afterwards, if they were lucky, by those who escaped with their lives.

No-one expects modern fans to sing all verses en masse, but a cut-down version with the chorus slightly modified is entirely practical.

All we need for Falmer is a live band for the first game, recordings after - playing GOSBTS out over our brilliant new PA system. Using the two big screens for lyrics and pacing. Imagine that, the power and the huge emotional impact of thousands of Albion fans singing our amazing anthem, all together, on a night game at our new home.

Make it happen?

Excellent piece of music - for the Falmer opening could they get a proper band to perform it. There used to be (may still be, I haven't been for a few years) a very fine red jacketed military band, the Kohima band I believe, who perform a particularly stirring version of this already stirring tune. Sounded really good echoing round the streets at Lewes, particularly at full volume after midnight as I once heard it!

Brighton & Hove Albion, Lord's Cricket ground and Sussex CCC have had the Christs Hospital marching band play GOSBTS LIVE.

it is IMMENSE!!!!!:clap2:

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
I don't think it is a bad suggestion to have the lyrics with a bouncing ball style sing-a-long as the teams come out. I remember the good people at The Seagull Love Review circulated the lyrics to GOSBTS at Shrewsbury for the JPT area semi, which didn't really catch on. Shame, because I would love to hear the song in its' entirity sung, rather than the chorus sung at 100mph.

This

Ever.

This. Absolutely spot on, fella!

Love the idea of karaoke football chants.

Imagining a big screen with lyrics and bouncy ball for the likes of:

- Your gonna get your f***ing head kicked in.

- Who's the w**ker in the black
etc.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

...It would have much more effect as a terrace chant if we all slowed right down. Spurs fans do it with something can't remember what (when the spurs go marching in?) and its slowed down effect is ace.

Yup. I agree....and the song they sing is indeed the "....the Spurs go marching in" ditty.

Mr Apples

Jack Scrumpy
Aug 9, 2007
In The Orchard
I remember Mike Bamber tried to replace GOSBTS in about 1980 with the theme music from Rocky.

Rocky was roundly booed every week until GOSBTS was reinstated.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here