Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gorillaz - Brighton Centre - Thurs 18NOV10

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
They must have struggled to shift tickets because the tour is still being heavily advertised in the national and local press.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
thanks for your contribution :p

ticket price might have something to do with paying de la soul, bobby womack, mark e smith etc to be on tour with them?

agree, it's too much - hence ebay.

Tubthumper and his troup will be in effect at the Centre tonight.

Whilst I agree that the price is a lot....the number of musicians they are carting around on this production is vast. Hence the price I guess. I'd pay £45 to see De La Soul, half of The Clash, Damon, Mark E Smith and Bobby Womack any day. Seriously, everyone, please read that list again. And if Gruff Rhys joins them for SuperFast I shall walk out of the gig, straight into the sea and never be seen again.

I have it on good authority the show is great and has come along way from the somewhat clumsy Glasto performance.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
I listened to Plastic Beach again the other day as I'd heard Mick Jones and Paul Simenon were touring as part of the band. They are playing in Perth next month with De la Soul as support but at AU $99.90 – AU $295.00 (t-shirt, patch, wank wank wank) I can';t be arsed. The album is so wet I just can't imagine it being any cop live. Very dissapointing album....

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
Tubthumper and his troup will be in effect at the Centre tonight.

Whilst I agree that the price is a lot....the number of musicians they are carting around on this production is vast. Hence the price I guess. I'd pay £45 to see De La Soul, half of The Clash, Damon, Mark E Smith and Bobby Womack any day. Seriously, everyone, please read that list again. And if Gruff Rhys joins them for SuperFast I shall walk out of the gig, straight into the sea and never be seen again.

I have it on good authority the show is great and has come along way from the somewhat clumsy Glasto performance.
a team of stars doesn't necessarily result in a star team (or words to that effect, too much to drink at luch today), can't see it myself but I hope you enjoy the show tonight....

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Wow. That was good. Bloody good. 10 times better than Glasto. Great to see such a huge performance in a relatively small venue. There must have been over 30 performers in the band? You can see why the ticket price was so high. There 8 in the brass ensemble, 7 strings and 7 Syrian's. That's 22 before you got to the band proper and the numerous guests.

The Womack vocal towards the end gave me goose bumps, esp with the backing video. Glad they played 19-2000. The new single is great and the singer (Galey) is a star in the making. Clint Eastwood was brilliant, people were going nuts were I was stood. Loved the brass guys. Above all every member of the band looked like they were having a ball.

Mick and Paul have matured interestingly, Simenon is (still) an old outlaw/gunslinger whilst Mick seems to have become a slightly camp grandad who has had one too many sherrys.

And interestingly all the common 'complaints' about the Glasto performance were addressed, some quite obviously.

I really do think Damon is a genius.

Yeah, right, Liam. I cant wait to listen to the new Beady Eye single. :laugh:

Last edited:

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Wow. That was good. Bloody good. 10 times better than Glasto. Great to see such a huge performance in a relatively small venue. There must have been over 30 performers in the band? You can see why the ticket price was so high. There 8 in the brass ensemble, 7 strings and 7 Syrian's. That's 22 before you got to the band proper and the numerous guests.

The Womack vocal towards the end gave me goose bumps, esp with the backing video. Glad they played 19-2000. The new single is great and the singer (Galey) is a star in the making. Clint Eastwood was brilliant, people were going nuts were I was stood. Loved the brass guys. Above all every member of the band looked like they were having a ball.

Mick and Paul have matured interestingly, Simenon is (still) an old outlaw/gunslinger whilst Mick seems to have become a slightly camp grandad who has had one too many sherrys.

And interestingly all the common 'complaints' about the Glasto performance were addressed, some quite obviously.

I really do think Damon is a genius.

Yeah, right, Liam. I cant wait to listen to the new Beady Eye single. :laugh:

i thought Simenon was immense (as he was when i saw The Good, The Bad, The Queen) but Jones just seemed.....redundant. Playing away all the time (seemed to be the same chord) but was his guitar plugged in? Couldn't understand why there was a second (audible!) guitarist on stage. It took the shine a bit off an excellent show to see such a legend looking like a bloody mascot only. Reminded me a bit of the Brian Wilson recent live shows.

As for Albarn: pretentious? yes! totally "into it"? yes! mad genius conductor? quite possibly yes!!

It took a while for me to get into the groove of the show but by the end it was a corker.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Pretty much sold out or many empty seats?

Given the comments on here about it selling out I did take a good look around the hall half-way through and it seemed sold out to me.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
i thought Simenon was immense (as he was when i saw The Good, The Bad, The Queen) but Jones just seemed.....redundant. Playing away all the time (seemed to be the same chord) but was his guitar plugged in? Couldn't understand why there was a second (audible!) guitarist on stage. It took the shine a bit off an excellent show to see such a legend looking like a bloody mascot only. Reminded me a bit of the Brian Wilson recent live shows.

As for Albarn: pretentious? yes! totally "into it"? yes! mad genius conductor? quite possibly yes!!

It took a while for me to get into the groove of the show but by the end it was a corker.

Fair enough, but his gay dancing during the Syrian bit amused me. Also, one of my many musical regrets is never seeing The Clash. But, I had seen all four members of the band perform seperately. Up until now though.....the only Mick Jones performance I'd seen was him draw the half-time tombola at Loftus Road. So I thank Mr Albarn and Gorillaz for allowing me to complete this particular musical journey. After last night I felt a little more complete.

KLUNK

Mar 30, 2010
East Sussex
I enjoyed last night,particularly support act Little Dragon. Wish I'd bought their cd from merchandise stall now for a tenner. Mind you,after forking out £40 for a hoody for my daughter,drinks at the bar,factoring in the much debated admission (2 x £49 plus booking fee),etc maybe just as well! Will check out iTunes when I'm less skint. Thought they had a great energy,& girl has a good,unique voice.

As for Gorillaz,thought they were good,though not brilliant imo. Looked as though they were bit tired of performing this tour,& only the fact that it was the last leg of their Uk tour saw them through. And whoops Damon, "..so,this is our last gig in London,I mean Brighton..". Lol

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Saint Lennard

Prawn Sarnie Casual
Sep 30, 2004
Seafront shelters
as a sceptic(dragged along by the missus) i was very impressed and now a convert....i even bought a T! Jones was immense but did not have the stage presence of Simonen. Joe would have grinned.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
as a sceptic(dragged along by the missus) i was very impressed and now a convert....i even bought a T! Jones was immense but did not have the stage presence of Simonen. Joe would have grinned.

You're a lucky man with a missus like yours.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here