Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gordon Brown,statement.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
Not what I said.

I said that the'Old Government' (including Brown) cannot simply carry on. Which to be fair Brown has acknowledged. He needs the support of Clegg. As does Cameron.

Interesting that Brown now offering Electoral Reform - something which has been rather a long way from their minds whilst they were sweeping to power in the FPTP system....

But Electoral reform will also be the deciding Issue when Clegg meets Cameron so whoever wants power will have to concede this.
I think the Tory supporters are claiming Victory a bit early. If Brown and his government have been 'so bad' Why hasn't Dave swept to victory?

Ironically though, if there is a Lib/Lab pact they would still be forming a minority government.

I give the next government no more than 18 months - whoever forms it.

Agree but if you get PR in, in that time.....................

That's rather the point though, isn't it - the country has not convincingly told him to.

I suspect, that if Labour had replaced him as leader, that they would have easily stayed in power with a small majority.

To me, that is a completely arse-about-face way of looking at it. The poll card does not ask 'who do you NOT want to represent you' it asks 'who do you want to represent you'. There is no retrospective element to the vote; people are not voting to get rid of some existing candidate, they are voting for the candidate they want from that time onwards. To say that the country has resoundingly rejected Gordon Brown is similarly backward-looking. The country has backed David Cameron above Gordon Brown to lead from this point on.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The country has backed David Cameron above Gordon Brown to lead from this point on.
And he is talking to Clegg right now. And if that doesn't pan out, he'll talk to minor parties.

As I say, where's the problem? All Brown has done is state his position.

To me, that is a completely arse-about-face way of looking at it. The poll card does not ask 'who do you NOT want to represent you' it asks 'who do you want to represent you'. There is no retrospective element to the vote; people are not voting to get rid of some existing candidate, they are voting for the candidate they want from that time onwards. To say that the country has resoundingly rejected Gordon Brown is similarly backward-looking. The country has backed David Cameron above Gordon Brown to lead from this point on.

I differ I say the electorate 32% have said they want a social democratic party (Labour, SDLP, Sinn Fein, SNP, PC and Greens etc) Thats only 5% short of the Tories and then we have have the LIberals, with a programme, that was more lefty in places than the above?

I differ I say the electorate 32% have said they want a social democratic party (Labour, SDLP, Sinn Fein, SNP, PC and Greens etc) Thats only 5% short of the Tories and then we have have the LIberals, with a programme, that was more lefty in places than the above?

I don't mean this rudely, but do you believe that, or do you say it because it suits your argument in this case?

I've mentioned this in another thread, but I'll bring it up again briefly here. I am probably your archetypal Conservative voter. However, in yesterday's election I voted Lib Dem, because I don't agree with the Tories economic policy, and I had more faith in the Lib Dems being able to sort it out than either of the two main parties. People often vote on the basis of as few as one policy area (see the droves of people that didn't vote for Labour in 2005 after the Iraq war); to say therefore that anyone voting Lib Dem (or any other party) is supporting a centre-left agenda is not true.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here