Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Google Chrome (new browser)

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
It's fecking quick! Even makes FF3 look a little sluggish!!

Looks a little bit too much like IE7 for my liking.

Got too use to Mouse Gestures to stop using FF for the time being but I'm sure it won't be long before it appears given that it is open source.

Like the fact you can re-size input fields (like this one!)

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
Downloaded, tried and comapred. It is FF but reskinned with google features and add ons. Personally I will stick to the FF/IE/Safari/Opera quad until an advantage of using it becomes apparent. Just another browser for compatability checks :angry:

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Looks VERY impressive. Nice feature (stolen) from Safari where by you can drag tabs out to create them as a new window. Very slick, seems to work well and maximises window space... Oh and works very well with java too. I'm going to set it as my default and see if this lasts.....

dylan_bha

Sep 21, 2004
LA
Just be warned guys it is not without it's pitfalls. The perfect analogy is: why do Tescos give you a club card, because they want to give you points for every £ you spend - no! They want to know exactly what you are buying and how often you are buying it! Google are just the same - they want to know what you are looking at all the time, not just when you search for something from their page!!

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
Just be warned guys it is not without it's pitfalls. The perfect analogy is: why do Tescos give you a club card, because they want to give you points for every £ you spend - no! They want to know exactly what you are buying and how often you are buying it! Google are just the same - they want to know what you are looking at all the time, not just when you search for something from their page!!

That doesn't bother me really. I think its really good and if they track me they'll hopefully send me relevant info to match my profile.

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
What does it do that others don't?

Not convinced I want my browser produced by what is essentially an advertising company.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour

Blimey! And there was me thinking they are developing all these FREE tools because they are bloody nice people!?!

Thanks for opening my eyes!

ClubCard is going in the bin! Don't tell me Nectar points is the same?

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
Im quite happy with Firefox. It does everything I need it to do and more. However as long as it pinches more market share from IE it can only be a good thing.

It will teach large businesses to code their webpages properly and follow internet standards so that they work in all browsers.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I've been using it for about five hours now and I like it - it's quick and I actually like the way that it remembers passwords. It doesn't render all pages yet - so you can tell which companies haven't been following standards.

I can't see abandoning Firefox though. I think FF is pretty slick, has some great add-ons and does everything I want from a browser. I already use Google for search and for mail, I don't want my entire life in the hands of one company.

Having said that, the appearance of another browser might teach some lazy companies that they should not slavishly support IE; banks and mobile phone companies shouldn't be in the business of telling us what browser to use (yes, Nat West and Nokia, I'm talking to you).

And Chrome will deffo have an advantage over IE8 which will use twice the memory of FF and could slow PCs to a crawl.
Techworld.com - IE8 is memory hog, says researcher

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
In the Chrome Terms of Service:

"By submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any content which you submit, post or display on or through, the services.

This license is for the sole purpose of enabling Google to display, distribute and promote the services and may be revoked for certain services as defined in the additional terms of those services."

Does that mean that if you upload a video to a site such as YouTube or any other site then Google have to right to do whatever they want with it?

mattb

Mar 18, 2008

ah shit. i know for a fact that Microsoft don't keep any information on any of their customers/users.

i do wish i could do that thing where clicking both mouse buttons brings up the scrolly thing though

:jester:

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
In the Chrome Terms of Service:

Does that mean that if you upload a video to a site such as YouTube or any other site then Google have to right to do whatever they want with it?

Certainly sounds like it, or any photos / music / videos etc. Sounds like reason enough to stick with Firefox to me.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I uninstalled IE8 beta2 a couple of days ago as it was screwing things up more than beta1. Have rolled back to IE7 until IE gets an alpha release. Google Chrome wants to establish itself as the 2nd choice browser of both IE and FF users but at least they're honest in saying they collect info from your browsing sessions (anonymously) to do with what they like.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Just watched some iPlayer stuff on it. The picture's bloody ace -- better than in Safari (though that may be due to the new "high quality" option on iPlayer, of course.

Once I can get it to render the fonts like Safari and import bookmarks from browsers that are not IE, I'll be happy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here