Feb 16, 2011
16/04/2010
vicente rodriguez vs athletic bilbao

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
16/04/2010
vicente rodriguez vs athletic bilbao

Simply mesmerising - watching him link up with the likes of Villa & Silva, just 16 months ago. And now he's a Brighton player. Still can't believe it.

I think I may have officially watched every Vicente related video on YouTube, now.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
The two balls at 2m 50 and 3m 05 are unbeleiveable. If he stands balls like that up for our strikers we'll be banging them in!

serial thriller

I'm a Palace fan
Aug 7, 2011
This is almost a carbon copy of the conversation Palace fans were having last year about Davids. Videos of him scoring in World Cups, winning trophies, player of the years etc.

If he stays fit (unlikely in this league where he'll be kicked in to oblivion) and is as good as he was four years (which he isn't) then you'll be laughing.

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
This is almost a carbon copy of the conversation Palace fans were having last year about Davids. Videos of him scoring in World Cups, winning trophies, player of the years etc.

If he stays fit (unlikely in this league where he'll be kicked in to oblivion) and is as good as he was four years (which he isn't) then you'll be laughing.

The thing is thats only 16 months ago, where he hasn't been injured since. Davids was 7 (yes seven) years older and hadn't played pro football for 1 or 2 years. There aren't massive comparisons to be made and you know it, making up stuff to make yourself feel better.

serial thriller

I'm a Palace fan
Aug 7, 2011
The thing is thats only 16 months ago, where he hasn't been injured since. Davids was 7 (yes seven) years older and hadn't played pro football for 1 or 2 years. There aren't massive comparisons to be made and you know it, making up stuff to make yourself feel better.

I'm sorry but there are MASSIVE comparisons. Both players are former world-class, if anything Davids being a better player in his prime than Vicente was, both have signed for unassuming Championship clubs, and both had played very little first team football in the previous three or so years.

Another thing that should be pointed out was that Davids was a defensive midfielder, a position where age isn't such a big issue (look at Scholes, Alexander, Makelele etc.) whereas Vicente's a winger, a position where anything over 28 is seen as old. I'm trying to approach this impartially, but I just can't see this working out at all.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I'm sorry but there are MASSIVE comparisons. Both players are former world-class, if anything Davids being a better player in his prime than Vicente was, both have signed for unassuming Championship clubs, and both had played very little first team football in the previous three or so years.

Another thing that should be pointed out was that Davids was a defensive midfielder, a position where age isn't such a big issue (look at Scholes, Alexander, Makelele etc.) whereas Vicente's a winger, a position where anything over 28 is seen as old. I'm trying to approach this impartially, but I just can't see this working out at all.

Tell that to Ryan Giggs. And also you are again conveniently ignoring the previous posters comment about Davids having not played for a couple of seasons.

Why do you feel the need to discuss this on our forum anyway? Seems pretty perverse to me. I bet you're a joy at parties.

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton

Former world class players dropping to championship level is where it ends for me. Poyet has said he can use Vicente in different areas (CAM or second striker) where pace isn't necessary. Even as a winger pace isn't everything, experience and quality (which he has in abundance) are just a effective. Even so, it's not like he has lost all his pace, obviously he isn't lighting fast but he is still has average pace. He played 17 times last year, not due to fitness issues but due to the fact he had Juan Mata a head of him in the pecking order and he didn't get on well with the coach.

serial thriller

I'm a Palace fan
Aug 7, 2011
Tell that to Ryan Giggs. And also you are again conveniently ignoring the previous posters comment about Davids having not played for a couple of seasons.

Why do you feel the need to discuss this on our forum anyway? Seems pretty perverse to me. I bet you're a joy at parties.

Like I say, Davids was a big mistake, but it wasn't like he'd been out of football for two years. He'd been training and coaching with Ajax, and in all honesty, if a couple of things had gone a different way it would've been a decent signing, but let's not delve in to what could've been.

As for your second comment, I'm only on here to get away from all you lot clogging up the HOL. That and boredom. And I don't really want to go to your parties anyway, thanks

Shanker45

Jan 19, 2010
East Preston,West Sussex
I'm trying to approach this impartially, but I just can't see this working out at all.

Would you really be saying this is if Palace had signed him?

Blackburn were linked with him earlier in the Summer along with other clubs mentioned, he is 30 years old not approaching 40! Checkout the Leicester forum as they were well excited about the rumours that they were going to sign him.

There is an element of a gamble with this like many signings but with no fee and wages that fit into our structure it's not a big gamble.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
I'm sorry but there are MASSIVE comparisons..

The biggest difference is that the rest of your team was utter shithouse and Davids was WELL past his best with no football for a couple of years and SEVEN years older than Vicente.

On the other hand our team is already pretty good. In fact we arguably didn't even need Vicente as we have winger quality for fun in the ranks. Vicente has plenty of game time from the bench in one of the best teams in one of the best leagues in the world in the last 2 seasons. Admittedly being kept out of the team by a player just signed by CHELSEA for millions. Now bugger off you are really embarrassing yourself.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It has been said that Vicente does eventually want to manage (this might have been said in an interview), which would make his choice of a club managed by a successful Spanish speaking manager, in a different league and country for a player at 30 yrs old would be a win win for all concerned.

He has had his injury problems, however having only just turned 30, and having only played 68 times in the last 3 seasons, this could be seen as a massive bonus for us given he will be raring to contribute. Got to say, I am massively excited by this signing, I can't wait to see him I really can't, I'm starting to get far too much belief than should be warranted in September of a season....

se3eagle

Banned
Aug 30, 2011
Didnt other clubs try?

Also this is different to Davids, firstly Davids was 54 years old and secondly this is Brighton not Palace!!

hahaha cant wait to watch your ivory tower crumble your like the horrible little **** at xmas showing off your new prezzies then no one wants to play with ya coz your a ****...ya getting to flash for your own good reckon your going to be hated by a lot more than us if you carry on with this over confident attitude....and be laughed at LOUDLY when it goes tits up.......hahahahaha cant wait

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
hahaha cant wait to watch your ivory tower crumble your like the horrible little **** at xmas showing off your new prezzies then no one wants to play with ya coz your a ****...ya getting to flash for your own good reckon your going to be hated by a lot more than us if you carry on with this over confident attitude....and be laughed at LOUDLY when it goes tits up.......hahahahaha cant wait

Another constructive and intelligent post. Glad to see you are keeping the standard up. Well done!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here