Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Good to see Crawley thinking big

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Just in case anyone was forgetting who our REAL rivals were, this from the Crawley Town player profiles for this season:

MICHEL KUIPERS
Position:
GOALKEEPER

Following ten outstanding years as number 1 goalkeeper at Sussex rivals Brighton & Hove Albion, Michel Kuipers has put pen to paper on a full time one year contract to be at The Broadfield Stadium for Season 2010/2011.

:wozza: :lolol:

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Based on spending alone Crawley should be watched. They are spending big bucks for players and paying cash, based on an average attendance of less than 1000. If they don't at least double their gates, the wheels could come off big time.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
FFS some people will take offence at anything. Hyperbole is the way of modern football.

Have you had some steroids in your muesli this morning? I don't think mild amusement is the same as taking offence, is it? Maybe that is the crazed hyperbole of which you speak.

Anyway, you want to get to a Conference ground once in a while. Trust me, you don't find too much of that modern football hyperbole. And if you go to Crawley, you will find that as a club they don't have any time at all for the Albion, for reasons I can't totally fathom. Some perceived sleight over a friendly going to Lewes years ago seemed to be the main beef.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Makes a change from saying their Sussex rivals are Eastbourne Borough. :bhasign:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Crawley is definitely big enough to support a league team IMO, and actually has what could be a surprisingly large catchment area.

"Sussex rivals" is comical, though. We've only played them once, and we absolutely battered them.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
This reminds me once again of the time I saw an interview on MTV with large-trousered bespectacled 1 1/2 hit wonder MC Hammer, much of which featured him passing learned comment on his bitter rivalry with...Michael Jackson.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
10 pound on them at 10/1 to win the league a few weeks back.

Not a bad bet, they've made some very good signings this summer and thrown a lot of money at it. I think Luton will probably win it, but Crawley could go very close. And in the future, as Simster, says, they could support a league team if, like fellow 'new-town' team the MK Dons, they convert all the displaced fans of other teams to the cause.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If Crawley are our "Sussex rivals", then I think I can legitimately consider myself Brad Pitts LOVE rival for Angelina Jolie.

Philzo-93

Jan 17, 2009
North Stand
Based on spending alone Crawley should be watched. They are spending big bucks for players and paying cash, based on an average attendance of less than 1000. If they don't at least double their gates, the wheels could come off big time.

They've been in trouble with this soo many times before though...history is repeating itself.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
l never feel at ease on the few occasions l go to the Broadfield. A few years ago l was there watching a pre-season friendly, proudly wearing my Brighton shirt, when a few of the locals gave me a right lot of abuse.

Many of the local contingent are closet Palace fans, hence the aggro.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
If Crawley are our "Sussex rivals", then I think I can legitimately consider myself Brad Pitts LOVE rival for Angelina Jolie.

Ridley Scott is making "Troy II - this time its personal" ever thought of auditioning for the part of 'Tassos the Invincible'?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Ridley Scott is making "Troy II - this time its personal" ever thought of auditioning for the part of 'Tassos the Invincible'?

I would be much more interested in playing the part of Scrotacious the Annoyed. He leads the Trojans on a revenge attack on Greece by cunningly hiding in a giant vat of taramasalata, which had been delivered to the Greeks under the pretence of a peace offering. The trap is then spung, whereupon legend has it that the Greek army is beaten to death with their own breadsticks.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
This will go one way or the other.

1) They will get promoted and like others have said Crawley will become a league club and probably the town could support this and in time they could arguably become our rivals, especially if Palace slip down the leagues at the same time.

2) They don't get promoted this year, go bust and start playing in the County League again.

I'm 50:50 as to which way it will go.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
If I was truly Christian I'd wish Crawley well. But for some reason I just can't forget the uncaring attitude of the club and the town council when the Albion needed help in 1997 - with their support we wouldn't have had to go to Gillingham for two seasons.

Crawley never seems like a Sussex town anyway.

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill
Crawley is definitely big enough to support a league team IMO, and actually has what could be a surprisingly large catchment area.

"Sussex rivals" is comical, though. We've only played them once, and we absolutely battered them.

Bit like Bournmouth suddenly calling us rivals.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
The big plus they have is Kuipers for sure. He has to be the best goalkeeper in that league by a long stretch.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Seeing as Whitehawk turned us over in pre-season, I think we have competitive rivals in Brighton, let alone looking across the whole county.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here