Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Good old Sussex

How much silverware will Grizzly et al secure?

• Just the one, any more would be greedy.

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Do I hear two?

Votes: 22 46.8%
  • Three - Not bad

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • A clean sweep - Four trophies!!!

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Empty handed :(

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • Cricket? Sod off! This is a football forum!

Votes: 6 12.8%
  • I don't like marmite

Votes: 3 6.4%

• Total voters

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Sussex continue to defy their critics, particularly the Times,who predicted a season of struggle, culminating in relegation from the LVC (wrap your chips in that one).

The pride of Sussex has given the sporting fans some cheer.

The questin is...

How many trophies do you think we can bag?

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
At last we need some decent sporting achievements in Sussex.

The football at present is a bloody embarrasment

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Don't know about defying their critics, a couple of pre-season county-by-county reviews I read had them as champions.

As for silverware they might win, I know so little about cricket I'd go for them winning the Sussex Senior Cup and that's about it.
:jester:

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
9 wins and 1 draw from our opening 10 games in all competitions is definitely the form of a struggling team...

:lolol:

We've already done better than anyone could have predicted.

I really really really want a Lords final in the C&G.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Trigger said:
I really really really want a Lords final in the C&G.

I was so nervous waiting for the Somerset result. Now we are favourites(??) to reach the final, I will be absolutely gutted if we fail.

I, too, really really really want a Lords final in the C&G.

:clap2: :clap2:

Make it happen Grizzly, Please!!

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Well I was one of those predicting a tough season so am delighted with the start we've had. I think I'll still er on the side of pesimism and say that Sussex will end the season empty handed, but that's just coz I'm a misserable bugger.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
can on like this and we'll win everything.:clap:

Jul 20, 2003
PEDANT ALERT: There are FIVE trophies up for grabs

county championship - 10 wins has been enough to claim it in the last couple of seasons, Sussex won it with 12 wins, but then we don't believe in getting batting points

we're looking good for topping 10 wins at this point so

COUNTY CHAMPS - YES

C&G - qualification for the final looking very good:

A couple of days of shitty weather across the UK could guarantee us a place in the final.
Due to the ludicrous structure this year we'll have at least a couple of games against teams that have absolutely no interest in the result
Glouc & Essex still to play each other losers effectively out of it

C&G Lords here we come, in terms of winning I'll probably be so pissed by the conclusion that I won't care

20/20 - doubt it, but we've got as good a chance as anyone in the extra floodlight comp

Pro40 - I think there's no Rana for pretty much all of this - Dwayne Bravo required to give us a look in

two trophies (from CC, C&G and floodlit 20/20)

Last edited:

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Does C&G just go straight to a final of winners of South against winners of North? No quarter or semi finals?

Jul 20, 2003
bhafc99 said:
Does C&G just go straight to a final of winners of South against winners of North? No quarter or semi finals?

yep, bit of a daft set up really

p.s. only found out about McLennan from your pic, shocking news :nono: :nono: :nono:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
pevenseagull said:
there's an extra four-way 20/20 tournament in September

Ah ha. Sounds good. We will have Rana back by then as well! :clap2: :clap2:

I am a bit sceptical about the new format of the C&G. Great if we get to the final obviously, but I think they should have a semi final at least! 1 South vs 2 North (neutral gorunds) and vice versa.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
pevenseagull said:
yep, bit of a daft set up really

p.s. only found out about McLennan from your pic, shocking news :nono: :nono: :nono:

Does seem a bit stupid. They could have played off the top two or top four or something. Still, looks like it's going to work in our favour, so won't compain.

Grant - I know, a real choker. Glad I got to see the reformed Go-Betweens a few times in recent years, having missed their 1980s incarnation. Have been playing them a lot over the last weeks once I heard about Grant's death. A great great band.

Jul 20, 2003
BarrelofFun said:

I am a bit sceptical about the new format of the C&G. Great if we get to the final obviously, but I think they should have a semi final at least! 1 South vs 2 North (neutral gorunds) and vice versa.

damn straight, hopefully they'll do that next season ..... and we'll finish second and go on and retain the trophy :)

In fact they've tampered (pun intended) with EVERYTHING this season, 2 up 2 down in the Championship makes high scoring draws order of the day in Div 1 leaving all the excitement in Div 2 (apart from Sussex who play to WIN)

The ECB have added a THRILLING season closer though which will really wrap up the summer with a bang, the National league/ pro40/ Sunday whatever thingamy bob has been ammended to 2 up, 2 down BUT they've put a play off in.

7th in div1 plays 3rd in div2 at the end of September - that ECB, they sure do know how to build up a frenzy of excitement

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
pevenseagull said:

county championship - 10 wins has been enough to claim it in the last couple of seasons, Sussex won it with 12 wins, but then we don't believe in getting batting points

PEDANT ALERT

No we didn't. I can't remember whether we had 10 or 11 wins - I think it was 10 but I don't have Wisden in front of me so can't check.

But there were at least five games we didn't win: rain-ruined games against Surrey and Notts and three losses (against Surrey, Warks and Lancs - we got just one point in the game at Old Trafford). We might have lost another one as well but my memory is fading a bit - was that the season when we lost to Middlesex in a low-scoring game and Lewry and Kirtley had a bit of a stand? Or was that 2002?

The point is, we're normally slow-starters but this year we've set off like champion sprinters with chilli peppers up our arses.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here