Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Good news for Sussex fans

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Wouldn't it be awful for them to finish second?

To be fair, they are playing THE Lancashire. They can't be expected to win that.

Would be a real, real shame, indeed.

Imagine though , if it RAINED for the next 3 days, resulting in minimal points for BOTH, and Warwickshire end up winning the title instead.

That would be awful.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
That is really unlucky. Gutted for him.

(to be fair, Dawson - along with Vince, Barker, Crane and Alsop - have played 5 a side football in the winter against my team, for a few years, and he seems a nice enough chap)

I've ever met any of them, but I've never had anything against any of that lot as individuals. It's a shame they all play for the local franchise of the forces of darkness and evil.

Does Vince make lots of attractive passes that never lead to anything consequential?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I've ever met any of them, but I've never had anything against any of that lot as individuals. It's a shame they all play for the local franchise of the forces of darkness and evil.

Does Vince make lots of attractive passes that never lead to anything consequential?

Vince is comfortably their best player, actually. Really, really good footballer (I think he was on the books at Reading as a kid?)

Keith Barker, we were worried about, as he was a pro footballer at Blackburn, and played to U20(?) for England, before switching to cricket - but he really isn't all that.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
Vince is comfortably their best player, actually. Really, really good footballer (I think he was on the books at Reading as a kid?)

Keith Barker, we were worried about, as he was a pro footballer at Blackburn, and played to U20(?) for England, before switching to cricket - but he really isn't all that.

Insofar as Wikipedia is reliable in these matters, Vince was apparently "a talented footballer who played for Reading Academy for 3 years before playing for Trowbridge Town F.C. at 16."

Barker's England career apparently consisted of a substitute apprearance in a 1-1 draw against Belgium in an U-19s friendly in 2005. The team was:

England: D.Martin, A.McMahon, A.D.Taylor, G.Leadbitter, (L.Wilson), M.Bates, M.Cranie ͨ, J.Morrison (R.Smith), M.Noble (R.Jones), M.Fryatt (D.Blackstock), D.Bowditch, L.Holmes (K.Barker).

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Barker's 'Celebrappeal' doesn't please the umpire
Lancashire 0-0 v Hampshire 143

An excellent opening over from Keith Barker as he begins with a maiden.

He thought it should have been a wicket-maiden as he hits George Balderson on the pads, but his appeal is turned down.

And the manner of his appeal is none too popular with umpire Peter Hartley, who lets be known exactly what he thought of it with some stern finger-pointing.

:lolol: :lolol:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Hants bumpkins fighting back. Lanky 12/2 after 12 overs in reply.

Seems everyone is having a bit of trouble with the conditions at Aigburth - which brings home a little how good these bowlers all are. I played League cricket in Liverpool for 4 years, back in the day, and played against Liverpool CC at Aigburth half a dozen times (confusingly I played FOR Aigburth CC, who play at St. Michaels, while Liverpool play AT Aigburth...). I reckon I must have bowled a good 500 deliveries, and not one of them deviated a millimetre off the pitch. For a good club cricketer it is an absolute road.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Fighting back

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Pitch inspection at Essex? It's all over 30 wickets before lunch on Day 2

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
Pitch inspection at Essex? It's all over 30 wickets before lunch on Day 2

I'm pretty sure the rules are that as long as a spinner doesn't turn the ball at all on the first two days, the pitch can do whatever it likes without any repercussions.

Obviously if there is any turn, that's cheating and the club who prepared that pitch need to have all of their points deducted immediately.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
As an aside, while I'm up on this high horse, I don't understand why the ECB think it's acceptable to pull out of the "tour" of Pakistan (I say tour, since it consisted of 2 T20 matches held in one ground that seems like the wrong word).

They can pull a whole 3rd XI out of their arse for a series held in England and stick the Pakistan team in a Premier Inn in Derby for a month when it's a fixture in England that they make some money out of, but withdraw at the first opportunity when they have to play a couple of matches in Pakistan.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
438-7 for those still interested.

Any feedback from attenders at the SCCC Members’ Forum?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
As an aside, while I'm up on this high horse, I don't understand why the ECB think it's acceptable to pull out of the "tour" of Pakistan (I say tour, since it consisted of 2 T20 matches held in one ground that seems like the wrong word).

They can pull a whole 3rd XI out of their arse for a series held in England and stick the Pakistan team in a Premier Inn in Derby for a month when it's a fixture in England that they make some money out of, but withdraw at the first opportunity when they have to play a couple of matches in Pakistan.

A complete disgrace by the ECB.

Richer countries do whatever they like to poorer ones in cricket, as in the wider world.

We owed them a proper tour

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Apparently there was a supporters/members forum recently that went on well over the appointed time. Does anyone know what issues were raised and what the excuses were?

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry

Agree - very poor - Pakistan have been badly treated. Ignore the politics for a minute - Pakistan as a country loves its cricket and the ordinary people have been starved of visits from touring teams for much of the past 10 years or so. I was in Pakistan when England toured in 2005 and it was electric. This was essentially a flying visit which the eCB should have honoured especially as Pakistan were here during COVID

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Not related to the Forum, but an interesting report which touches on many of the issues we've discussed here:

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series...vs-derbyshire-division-3-1271415/match-report

Good piece that - pretty much in line with what we've been saying here.

I'm surprised that nothing from the members forum has filtered out, there are a lot of issues to address.

I was at the Night of the Long Knives in 1997 and the atmosphere was frenzied. I don't think it will be as bad as that with the current membership for several reasons.

Firstly, many of the issues we're facing are a result of The Hundred, which has skewed county revenues so much. Secondly, the loading of contracts on white ball cricket was something driven by the previous coach and Salisbury/Kirtley should be given more time. And finally, the merger of the club with the SCB is beginning to bear fruit with some exciting young players are coming through.

Having said that, there are still some issues. It's great to have young players but a team of nine or ten of them isn't good. We need some experience to back them up. And we can have more players for all forms of the game, rather than two distinct teams?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
That top of the table clash is nicely balanced:

Lancashire 141 v Hampshire 143 & 52-4

God I wish it would tip with rain to let Warwickshire back in. :rolleyes:

Meanwhile, Sussex haven't lost a wicket for over an hour. Weird. From 46/4 to 140/4 it seems. We are still impossibly shit though.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
A difficult championship 2022 is inevitable but it looks like it could be worse than anticipated.
We might be able to muddle through on the batting, but how are we going to take 20 wickets in any game? Steve Finn? Lol. Look at his stats since 2018. The existing bunch aren’t a threat to half decent batsmen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here