Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Good Friday 27 years ago.

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
Local youths, and a number of adults, rioted in Brixton resulting in anarchy. For the next few weeks there were riots in all of the major cities.
I recall my Grandad sitting in our kitchen on Easter Saturday before I went to see us whup Palace at Selhurst, 3-1, and wondering where it would all end.
27 years on have the events of that night and the resulting riots shaped our society?
Are the children of those rioters now some of the Chavs that blight our towns and cities?

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
we're full of society bullshit today aint we 'Arty!

screw this I'm off to the beer festival!

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
Local youths, and a number of adults, rioted in Brixton resulting in anarchy. For the next few weeks there were riots in all of the major cities.
I recall my Grandad sitting in our kitchen on Easter Saturday before I went to see us whup Palace at Selhurst, 3-1, and wondering where it would all end.
27 years on have the events of that night and the resulting riots shaped our society?
Are the children of those rioters now some of the Chavs that blight our towns and cities?
I thought we did the scum 3-0 that day and wasnt it Perry Digweeds debut!

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
27 years ago fuzzes the memory, I think you are right with the score, it wasn't perry's debut but he got knocked out and had to be revived, but carried on in goal, concussed, a testament to how shite the team of the 80's were back then!

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Inner city riots were commonplace at that time. It was maggie's britain and inner city areas people were the underclass, neglected areas, and there were many ethnics who were also not part on maggie's Britain.

Once the tinderbox had gone off, copycat riots took place in many other towns & cities across the UK. I'm not quite sure where it all ended, maybe the killing of a copper in north London, where his head was nearly hacked off, shocked the nation into working towards a solution.

I suppose we are lucky down here but do those conditions for riot still exist in other towns?

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
27 years ago fuzzes the memory, I think you are right with the score, it wasn't perry's debut but he got knocked out and had to be revived, but carried on in goal, concussed, a testament to how shite the team of the 80's were back then!
It was 3-0 and i seem to remember Perrys injury.The game was shown on motd;how the times have changed!

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS

Speaking of Perry Digweed and injuries, anyone remember the game at the Goldstone when Perry went for a 50/50 ball and recieved a size 10 studs up boot in his most tender area. He was stretchered off and taken to hospital by which time his balls were the size of melons and he had about a pint of blood in his ball bag? Ouch !!!!!!!!!!

:eek:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

No.
The rioters of 25 years ago where demonstrating their frustrations against the racist police force - and to a degree the rest of our society - roaming the inner cities under the so called banner of law and order. They were predomanently of West Indian descent.
As they were shown no respect by the authorities I would have expected them to have explained respect to their kids.
Maybe Thatchers greedy yuppie types are more to blame.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
Are you a parent Marc?

I don't think he is Harty, and he probably left the word "innit" off the end of the sentence. As I believe is the correct ending to every sentence used by yoofs today now that our society that has moved on.............innit!

:lol:

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
I was about 3 - 4 rows back in the south stand directly behind the goal, Digweed played on after treatment & took a goalkick/ freekick before going off. I still think Goodman went in to deliberately hurt the keeper.

And, yes the chavs are probably the offspring of the rioters. After watching ashes to ashes last night a bit of Gene Hunt style police brutality would do them the world of good, both generations!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here