Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Good Beer Guide 2014

Dandyman

In London village.

Dandyman

In London village.
Talking of pubs with odd staff, I notice the GDC has started haunting the Open House of a Saturday evening.

We're going for a Phantom theme this season.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Looking at the list of pubs in the Lewes section, how many of those are Harvey's pubs I wonder ?

its in Lewes, its a Harveys pub. even if it isnt. the Lewes Arms stopped having it as the guest and there was a boycott.

You see it should not just be about real ale.

If the pub does not offer decent cider and decent continental lager (I mean German / Czech type stuff), it should not be listed.

i agree, but CAMRA is about real ale so they dont consider anything else. their remit is somewhat unnecessary these days, i brought 2 different real ales in the supermarket today from a selection of dozens, its come back from the dead.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
i agree, but CAMRA is about real ale so they dont consider anything else. their remit is somewhat unnecessary these days, i brought 2 different real ales in the supermarket today from a selection of dozens, its come back from the dead.

It becomes a real frustration. I do not like real ale (or rubbish UK lager), I want a decent German beer if possible. I do like a lot of the GBG pubs, but I dislike those that do not cater for those that do not like real ale.

Go up north and the decent pubs cater for both, such as the Grove in Huddersfield.

Dandyman

In London village.
its in Lewes, its a Harveys pub. even if it isnt. the Lewes Arms stopped having it as the guest and there was a boycott.

Real Cider does get a fairly constant mention in the GBG. I think pubs who serve proper German and Czech beer are worthwhile but that is not what CAMRA was set up for although the Bier Sans Frontiers element of the GBBF is now well established and very popular.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts

CAMRA is about real ale, so no surprise really that they don't cover lagers, or other beers, in the same way. Out of interest, what real ales did you buy, and in what supermarket. Our local stores no longer do them, well, they do Sierra Nevada in Waitrose, but that's American, and that's about it.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
CAMRA is about real ale, so no surprise really that they don't cover lagers, or other beers, in the same way. Out of interest, what real ales did you buy, and in what supermarket. Our local stores no longer do them, well, they do Sierra Nevada in Waitrose, but that's American, and that's about it.

But decent lager brewed to the purity laws is proper beer, which is actually what CAMRA are promoting. Some of their snobbery towards this is pathetic. But then you look at the social misfits that make up a larger chunk of the CAMRA demographic and it is no surprise.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
The Prince George is not far from you - at the bottom of Trafalgar Street.

Some of the pubs on the Brighton list are fine, but some are a bit random. The Mitre might serve decent ale, but it still scares me.

I've just looked, it's the one that does the veggie food opposite the Great Eastern, for some reason I rarely go in there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here