Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Golstone or Falmer

Goldstone or Falmer?

• Total voters

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Following on from the New Wembley thread.....

I personally don't like the new Wembley, going to the old Wembley was special to me, everything about the day out got me excited.

Now going to Wembley is just like going to any old ground that could be anywhere in the world.

Yes the old Wembley was a shit hole that had shit views, toilets that over flowed and ruddy great queues for said over flowing toilets but it had character and history.

A bit like the Goldstone did. So my question is obviously completely hypothetical but given the choice would you rather being playing back at old Goldstone with it's history, memories and crumbling terraces or at the all singing and dancing Falmer with it's all seater shiny goodness, out of town location and horrible plastic grub outlets?

Aimed at the older posters, so all you under 25s bugger off and go and swap stickers or something we know what your answer is going to be.

As we were never able to redevelop the Goldstone, I would have to say Falmer. Shit views, shit toilets and shit food are all just that - shit.

Falmer obviously won't have the same 'character', but the facilities will be a million miles from what we've been used to and, arguably most importantly, the acoustics will ensure that there should always be a decent atmosphere.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The Goldstone was our home, and a part of me will always miss it, but it was a ramshackle old DUMP in every sense of the word, and we could never progress as a club there. The only thing that the Goldstone would always have had over Falmer it its location - FAR more convenient to get to (for me anyway), and a choice of pubs in the area.

But its a no-brainer. Anyone voting for the Goldstone over the new ground is just too wrapped up in misty-eyed nostalgia in my opinion.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
It's kind of silly thred this isn't it?

Firstly no one has been to the new ground yet.

Secondly one was built predominantly in the early part of the last century and the other is a state of the art stadium built in the 21st century. If Falmer isn't better than something has gone wrong!!

Shall we just wait and see.

wizo7

Man Met Massive
Dec 17, 2008
Bolney
Well, pointless comment coming up...Falmers the future, Goldstone was the past. Both were class in their own way.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I guess its not so much the two respective stadiums that Arthur is comparing, more the "matchday experience" at the two. In which case, playing 9 holes in the morning, followed by a few jars at The Stadium pub along Old Shoreham Road, followed by a match at the Goldstone, followed by a few jars in Hove Park Tavern, followed by a night at Corals betting on the dogs, followed by a kebab at Eddies...

Now Falmers going to have its work cut out beating THAT for a Saturday...

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
I loved the shytehole that was The Goldstone as i will love Falmer no doubt and in its own way i will look back upon the years spent at withdean and probably learn in time to have loved that also,because without withdean with all its obvious negatives i honestly believe the club would have ceased to be

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
The only thing in favour of Falmer is the newness of the facilities. Location-wise the Goldstone was great. Just a short walk from Hove station and surrounded by streeets where you could park. Lots of pubs in different directions too.

Before the original roof was knocked down, you couldn't beat the noise of a packed North Stand, while there was a dedicated section for moaners (called the West Stand). Oh, and you could stand if you wanted. Also, you could get properly close to the side of the pitch (sometimes at the risk of a ball in the mush when the ball got kicked out for a throw-in). The modern all-seater stadium takes you too far from the action - for me one of the reasons to go to a game is to be part of it, not remote from it.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Without question a spruced-up Goldstone for me. The place had history and atmosphere, full of nostalgia, a great in-town location.

I'm sure Falmer will be great, but it won't be the Goldstone!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The only thing in favour of Falmer is the newness of the facilities. Location-wise the Goldstone was great. Just a short walk from Hove station and surrounded by streeets where you could park. Lots of pubs in different directions too.

Before the original roof was knocked down, you couldn't beat the noise of a packed North Stand, while there was a dedicated section for moaners (called the West Stand). Oh, and you could stand if you wanted. Also, you could get properly close to the side of the pitch (sometimes at the risk of a ball in the mush when the ball got kicked out for a throw-in). The modern all-seater stadium takes you too far from the action - for me one of the reasons to go to a game is to be part of it, not remote from it.

I still have a scar on my nose from when, leaning face-on to the fence during the players' warm-up, the ball caught me smack in the face, digging the fence into my nose.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The Goldstone was very much part of growing up for me and I'll never forget the place. But Falmer is our future and it looks awesome. We're going to have one of the most attractive grounds in the country IMO.

Mind you, if we're talking bollocks, I'll have Falmer plonked where the Goldstone used to be, with both side stands the same size (i.e. the same size as the big one, taking ground capacity to around 30,000), the required space made by knocking out all the houses behind the old east terrace (and further back), and the stand behind the goal made in such a way that the seats can be removed en masse, revealing a TERRACE.

And a personal parking space just underneath the main stand, and my own personal CASH ONLY pay on the gate turnstyle which I may allow certain NSC punters to use when I'm feeling in a good MOOD.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Falmer by a mile as i was never a fan of the shitehole that was the goldstone,yeah had great memories but the ground was bloody awful:angry:

How people prefer the goldstone is beyond me:guns:yes you could stand but that was it:lolol:

FALMER BY A MILE:whisky:

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Voted Falmer.

if we were still in the Goldstone we would be campaigning for a new ground anyhow as it would be apparent that the Goldstone was not suitable for a major overhaul/Refurb.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here