Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Golf : Rookwood

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Only course I have ever played! Only played it once!

So, ...IMHO having never played before, I got round in 147. Would have been a few more, if not for a few 6ft gimme's. However, the bacon butty was good, but did affect my game. Managed to do the first 9 with no lost balls - thought I was some sort of budding Tiger Woods. Had the aforementioned sarnie, and my game went to shit. Was quite pleased with a "spark" I got from a drive as I topped the ball some where on the back 9. Enjoyed the club house.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Last time I went, they had one of those big nets you could practice into.

And a little advice, order your bacon sandwich on the 7th tee, gives him a few minutes to cook it for you by the time you get back to the 9th green.

This.

Really good course, nice club barn also for brekkies if you are there early!

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
For the record, Rookwood was a lovely course. It was very, very windy playing it on Sunday, which didn't help, but the course itself was super. All the holes were interesting and different - all par-able for me, I reckon, nothing really to be frightened of - although I didn't play very well, I still scored 30 points. New clubs was one excuse I had, but still, I wasn't good enough. Will definitely go back. The bacon sarnies looked good, although we didn't partake on this occassion. They were just serving a free BBQ as we left. For a council course it was truely excellent.

IndependentWSU

May 24, 2011
Only just seen your original post. Rookwood is a favourite of ours, apart from the pointless Par 3 8th, silly hole (maybe because I always play that one so so poorly). If ever you fancy a round, will be happy to play. Can guarantee a laugh, with my array of shots, am very good at a shank!

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Did you go all brave at the 2nd and go for the green?

No, mainly because I wasn't really sure where it was as you can't quite see it. I don't think that carry over the water is too bad though. Having said that, if you go for it, chance are you'll end up in the bunk (front left of the green). As it is so short a hole, a simple iron over the short edge of the water gives you a gentle 9-iron into the green anyway, so there's no real need to take any risks ........... that was the theory anyway - in reality, I got it over the water, and my 9 iron went in that bunker anyway - with an awful lie. Two chops to get it out, and flew it over the green and lost it by the water behind. Ho-hum, that's golf.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Only just seen your original post. Rookwood is a favourite of ours, apart from the pointless Par 3 8th, silly hole (maybe because I always play that one so so poorly). If ever you fancy a round, will be happy to play. Can guarantee a laugh, with my array of shots, am very good at a shank!

Good idea - maybe we should have a "hackers" round for NSCers, I'm sure we could get at least a 4-ball together for a weekend round ?

IndependentWSU

May 24, 2011
Good idea - maybe we should have a "hackers" round for NSCers, I'm sure we could get at least a 4-ball together for a weekend round ?

Great idea, count me in. Thurs? my usual golf 'coach' is working, am desperate for a round after watching Wentworth on TV

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Great idea, count me in. Thurs? my usual golf 'coach' is working, am desperate for a round after watching Wentworth on TV

Can't do mid-week - unfortunately work seem to take a dim view of me not turning up because I'd rather be on the golf course ... rather unsporting of them really. Would have to be a weekend.

Sergei Gotsmanov

Russian international
Jun 3, 2007
Hove
For the record, Rookwood was a lovely course. It was very, very windy playing it on Sunday, which didn't help, but the course itself was super.

I played East Brighton on Sunday and can safely say it was the windiest conditions i have ever played in. That said, on some holes, it did help rectify my chronic slice problem!!

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Ooh, you want a 'hackers' round count me in - no one with a handicap below 24 allowed. In fact, no one with an actual handicap allowed at all. My golf's improved a lot over the last year or so (I didn't start playing until I was 50) and I now reckon I can officially call myself a shit golfer. Previously I was just a bloke who walked round a course carrying a bag of clubs, pausing only to take one out every now and then to spend three or four minutes swishing myopically at a little white thing at my feet. If I keep improving, who knows? Dare I dream of one day being good enough to call myself a poor golfer?

Nickols4

May 25, 2011
Dorking, Surrey.
Lovely course, but no drving range.

The fella who does the halfway hut has BHAFC tattooed across his knuckles. Mention the Albion for a free bacon sandwich.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Ooh, you want a 'hackers' round count me in - no one with a handicap below 24 allowed. In fact, no one with an actual handicap allowed at all. My golf's improved a lot over the last year or so (I didn't start playing until I was 50) and I now reckon I can officially call myself a shit golfer. Previously I was just a bloke who walked round a course carrying a bag of clubs, pausing only to take one out every now and then to spend three or four minutes swishing myopically at a little white thing at my feet. If I keep improving, who knows? Dare I dream of one day being good enough to call myself a poor golfer?

Sounds good - I think we should do it. I only started when I was about 36 or so ... about 12 years ago - wish I'd started younger. It is obligatory for me to mention, any time golf is discussed, that I got a hole-in-one within a year of starting to play. Never been remotely close since, mind.

Woodingdean Gull

Jul 7, 2003
Woodingdean, Brighton
Played Rookwood many times and think it’s a lovely course.

I take it that all you golfers have entered into the REMF Charity Golf Day on the 24th June at Mid-Sussex? And don’t worry, ALL standard of golf is acceptable, it’s just a day to enjoy yourself.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Played Rookwood many times and think it’s a lovely course.

I take it that all you golfers have entered into the REMF Charity Golf Day on the 24th June at Mid-Sussex? And don’t worry, ALL standard of golf is acceptable, it’s just a day to enjoy yourself.

Wasn't trying to tread on your toes Tony, just the possibility of arranging friendly weekend games between us. Certainly everyone should play REMF if possible.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here