Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Golf In Sussex

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
Jello said:
Mannings Heath Waterfall is very good and has good food, members are tossers though.
East Sussex National is nice but very pricey for what it is.
Hassocks = cheap, gets wet / busy and is slow. Some holes are quite short so it's possible to score low. My PB was hit there and at Singhing Hills. SH also gets wet but also gets busy I think it's overpriced.
Rookwood in Horsham is good value and tricky in places.
Cottersmore old course used to be good but I've not played it recently.

Most well to do clubs are full of tossers who wander around in stupid clothes and frown at non members. I played with 20 the other day in 4 ball, the faces of the members behind us in the lairy clothing was so funny.........huffin and puffing aint gonna make me play any better - assholes!

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Jello said:
Mannings Heath Waterfall is very good and has good food, members are tossers though.
East Sussex National is nice but very pricey for what it is.
Hassocks = cheap, gets wet / busy and is slow. Some holes are quite short so it's possible to score low. My PB was hit there and at Singhing Hills. SH also gets wet but also gets busy I think it's overpriced.
Rookwood in Horsham is good value and tricky in places.
Cottersmore old course used to be good but I've not played it recently.

From everyones responses, it looks like Mannings Heath is one to head for sometime then. Thanks everyone.

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
Jimbo26 said:
Hill Barn in Worthing is quite pleasant.

Although IMO whenI have played the greens were in a pretty bad state, however, was couple of years back. Benfield is getting much better - was awful. Also for a good par 3 - Burgess Hill is one of the best in UK.

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
csider said:
Most well to do clubs are full of tossers who wander around in stupid clothes and frown at non members. I played with 20 the other day in 4 ball, the faces of the members behind us in the lairy clothing was so funny.........huffin and puffing aint gonna make me play any better - assholes!

Erm, I'm a member at Mannings Heath.

There are no more tossers than at any other club's, try playing at some of the Surrey clubs like Hindhead, Woodcote or Walton Heath etc etc

I played in a match at one of the above and their Handicap sec looked through all our bags just to 'check' that we didnt have any illegal drivers.

As it happened I have a Titleist which is almost about to be illegal and the old prick went into overdrive till I pointed out that I had till the end of the year.

Thing about the 'Heath' is that it is pricey on membership.

Jambo Seagull

Jul 18, 2003
The Athens of the North
Whilst we're on the subject, what's the new West Hove* like? I was a junior member at the old club but have not played the new course. Am I right in thinking that Benfield incorporates some of the old West Hove?

I think I played Mannings Heath in the very dim and distant past and seem to remember it was a lovely course.

* I know it's not all that new now!

cardboard

Jul 8, 2003
Mile Oak
Jambo Seagull said:
Whilst we're on the subject, what's the new West Hove* like? I was a junior member at the old club but have not played the new course. Am I right in thinking that Benfield incorporates some of the old West Hove?

I think I played Mannings Heath in the very dim and distant past and seem to remember it was a lovely course.

* I know it's not all that new now!
Up and down, pretty samey.
Greens are usually good.

7/10

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
I guess its because of planning restraints etc, but Sussex could really do with a decent Championship track to rival ESN which I have to say (particularly the Members course off the Whites) is a bit of a trudge.

As far as 'hidden gem's' are concerned, you cant go too far wrong with Copthorne.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
Golf is something that i would want to get into, but i know precisley NOTHING about getting started!

Any tips like what clubs to get, where to learn properly, how much is it going to cost me etc...

wehatepalace

Limbs
NSC Patron
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Rougvie said:
Erm, I'm a member at Mannings Heath.

There are no more tossers than at any other club's, try playing at some of the Surrey clubs like Hindhead, Woodcote or Walton Heath etc etc

I played in a match at one of the above and their Handicap sec looked through all our bags just to 'check' that we didnt have any illegal drivers.

As it happened I have a Titleist which is almost about to be illegal and the old prick went into overdrive till I pointed out that I had till the end of the year.

Thing about the 'Heath' is that it is pricey on membership.

My mate's a member at mannings heath ! I played the waterfall course it is lovely but that 1st tee is a bitch !!! :ohmy: It was a really hot afternoon, everyone was out on the terrace, talk about pressure

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
ali jenkins said:
Golf is something that i would want to get into, but i know precisley NOTHING about getting started!

Any tips like what clubs to get, where to learn properly, how much is it going to cost me etc...

Get lessons at most golf clubs about £20 half hour, burgess hill is good. you can use the clubs that the club ghave or buy some cheap ones to see if you like it. you will know pretty soon if you like the game or not!!

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
csider said:
Get lessons at most golf clubs about £20 half hour, burgess hill is good. you can use the clubs that the club ghave or buy some cheap ones to see if you like it. you will know pretty soon if you like the game or not!!

Cool, thanks.

How many lessons do you think it takes to be able to have a round with out embarassing my self?

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
My old man does the Flowers and stuff at Mid Sussex.

I however think golf is SHIT and for every golf fan who puts a :yawn: smiley on the Cricket threads:

:yawn: BACK IN YOUR FACE!

:jester:

Jimbo26

Jan 25, 2007
Portslade Old Village
If you are just getting started or not, there is a great little 9 hole par 3 course down at Brookland in Worthing. I went there a while back and paid £5 for 9 holes but the bloke behind the counter (old chap) said "as it ain't busy you can have 18 holes for £5". It isn't pitch 'n' putt type holes but your standard par 3 holes found on most courses :clap: :clap: :clap:

Woodingdean Gull

Jul 7, 2003
Woodingdean, Brighton
All you golfers who have posted on this thread please read the thread, titled "urgent, golfer required - any standard".

It's for DTG and Kevin, (cpfc captain), trying to find a fourth member for their four-ball entry into the REMF Chareity Golf day.

Jello

He's Not A Jelly Belly
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
wehatepalace said:
My mate's a member at mannings heath ! I played the waterfall course it is lovely but that 1st tee is a bitch !!! :ohmy: It was a really hot afternoon, everyone was out on the terrace, talk about pressure

My mate had his wedding reception there and the terrace was packed with pissed up anti golfers taking the piss. Funny enough there were asked to shut up or leave!

My comment about members is based on when a friend got a hole in one on the par 3 where the bomber landed. It was only his 5th round ever round and was told to "be quiet as we are in a competion" by members on 1st green. Miserable fuckers, but to be fair to the club they insisted on buying us drinks to celebrate.

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Woodingdean Gull said:
All you golfers who have posted on this thread please read the thread, titled "urgent, golfer required - any standard".

It's for DTG and Kevin, (cpfc captain), trying to find a fourth member for their four-ball entry into the REMF Chareity Golf day.

Dave knows that if I had not been on holiday (In France playing golf !!) that I would DEFINATELY have been on for this.

It always seems to be half term or coincide with my holidays.

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
ali jenkins said:
Cool, thanks.

How many lessons do you think it takes to be able to have a round with out embarassing my self?

Thousands. I been playing 20 years and still pretty shizen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here