Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Golf In Sussex

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Just wondering, on other golf threads people have generally said that Hassocks golf course is not very good. I've played there many times and think it is ok, nothing special, but ok.

So, what local courses do people rate as being good then - myself I like Singing Hills (probably helps that the first time I played there I got a hole-in-one).

Just curious, like.

Jul 20, 2003
The last hole at Seaford Head is good fun

The Downs in Eastbourne is a good challenge (particularly on a windy day). The Royal is a damn sight easier but very well looked after

The East Sussex National is class

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Pevenseagull said:
The last hole at Seaford Head is good fun

The Downs in Eastbourne is a good challenge (particularly on a windy day). The Royal is a damn sight easier but very well looked after

The East Sussex National is class

Have played E.Sussex national in a comp, and agree it was nice. A bit pricey I imagine, not that it's necessarily an issue.

scooter1

How soon is now?
Hassocks is ok but the drainage there is appalling. Played East Brighton a few weeks back, and no matter what the weather its windy - great snack bar at the 9th though, you phone your order through, play the hole and bingo your bacon buttie is there waiting for you!
Hill Barn in Worthing is also a personal favourite

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
scooter1 said:
Hassocks is ok but the drainage there is appalling. Played East Brighton a few weeks back, and no matter what the weather its windy - great snack bar at the 9th though, you phone your order through, play the hole and bingo your bacon buttie is there waiting for you!
Hill Barn in Worthing is also a personal favourite

I like the sound of that buttie service !

Have played Hill Barn a lot, and do quite like it - get tough on the old legs towards the end. The eighth is a nice hole - looks good and almost reachable off the tee.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
I am to golf what Professor Stephen Hawking is to Rugby League, but from what I've heard, the Mid Sussex near Ditchling is very good

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
My father says Seaford Blatchington is in fine condition.

FEDUP

Oct 20, 2006
Blatchington - Seaford, is a lovely course..
Seaford Head is nice on a hot sunny day but gets busy!
If you want nice little tricky 9 hole then Horam Park is good..
Both courses at East Sussex National are nice..
Wellshurst is a course I really like, quite easy??
Crowborough Beacon is very nice but expensive!

To be honest I dont dislike any course in Sussex except Lottbridge in Eastbourne! its shite!!

personal top three in Sussex.
1. Blatchington Seaford.
2. East Sussex National.
3. Dale Hills.

out of Sussex..
1. Woburn, Milton Keynes.
2. The Belfry, Sutton Coldfield.
3. Celtic Manor, Newport.

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
hornet said:
A little village just outside of Horsham.

Correct. Easy to get to. Very nice. I have played Singing hills and I would say this is a better course. Well worth a visit. Good food also in the restaurant. Good shop also if you are into the clothing side of golf along with clubs etc....

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
csider said:
Correct. Easy to get to. Very nice. I have played Singing hills and I would say this is a better course. Well worth a visit. Good food also in the restaurant. Good shop also if you are into the clothing side of golf along with clubs etc....

Sounds like one to try - thanks for that.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Mannings Heath Waterfall is the best course in Sussex. The newish Kingfisher is also very good.

Other honourable mentions (courses I've played):
Crowborough
The Dyke,
Brighton & Hove,
Copthorne,
Ashtown Forest (West)

Steer clear of:
Avisford Park,
Waterhall

Sussex courses I'd like to play oneday:
West Sussex
Rye
ESN

Lankyseagull

One Step Beyond
Jul 25, 2006
The Field of Uck
Played at Hassocks back in April & the course was suffering from a lot of work being carried out - areas cordoned off etc.

Love Seaford Head, especially on a summers day. It's a bleak place to be in bad weather though! 9/10

Played both Championship & Members courses at the ESN. The Championship course is loooooonnnnnnggggg, so if you're not a big hitter expect a high score. The Members course is good value thought with some interesting holes. 7/10 & 8/10

Crowborough is a good course to play as long as you're accurate - anything off the fairway is a bugger to play out of the heather. 7/10

The Mid Sussex is ok, but a bit repetative with one hole uphill & the next downhill next to the hole you've just played. 5/10

Hope this helps!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
My favourite course in Sussex ( I think its in Sussex) is Sweetwoods, outside East Grinstead.

Have played:

Brighton and Hove ( 9 hole)
Pyecombe ( too hilly)
waterhall
Dyke ( too clicky)
Mid Sussex
The one at Horsham just off A27
Hassocks
Eastbourne
Willingdon
Worthing - top and bottom

Otherwise

the Belfrey
Collingtree Park - Northants
St Andrews - Eden and Jubilee
Carnoustie
Crieff
Silloth

Shame I am crap at the moment as I really enjoy golf

Jello

He's Not A Jelly Belly
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Mannings Heath Waterfall is very good and has good food, members are tossers though.
East Sussex National is nice but very pricey for what it is.
Hassocks = cheap, gets wet / busy and is slow. Some holes are quite short so it's possible to score low. My PB was hit there and at Singhing Hills. SH also gets wet but also gets busy I think it's overpriced.
Rookwood in Horsham is good value and tricky in places.
Cottersmore old course used to be good but I've not played it recently.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Dave the Gaffer said:

Shame I am crap at the moment as I really enjoy golf

Dave - I'm just trying to get back to the level I was about 8 years ago.

Unfortunately only played sporadically since then but have played 6 times in the last few weeks, so trying to get back to play regularly. Looking forward to another round at Singing Hills on Sun.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I suppose its the same with most things, It all depends on how regularily you play.

I played a couple of weeks ago at Mid Sussex and went round in 105! The worst round since I started playing the game 30 years ago.

I got down to 14 handicap 15 years ago, now I struggle to play to 28.

:down: :down: :down: :down:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here