Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Goldstone, Withdean, Falmer

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Thanks, couldnt remember the dates, knew it was Derby and Wolves in the League cup, in the golden days of Wardy .
Happy days and great distant memories

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
33 years following Thee Albion, i hated Gillingham,but i felt i had to go for survival we needed the fans through the gate. Withdean is shit only been about ten times, due to work,wife,gigs etc (and i feckin hate it) ............Goldstone is where my heart is..............I loved that place

Falmer will make me cry when i take my by then 2 year old daughter.

1066gull

4 years since first game and about 5 years as an albion supporter.

But can we take a moment away from all of this for a second.

Sometime ago when we played Rotherham, Bas' first game I think, dull match finished goalless I think their was an announcement that a fellow Albion supporter who first went some 70-80 years ago. That supporter has seen a hell of a lot through his years folllowing the Albion, but he never managed to see if we ever got our stadium.

Just think, all the Albion supporters who have left us after the Goldstone was taken away but before Falmer was realised, they will never know we got our new home.

I just hope we all remember them in our hearts briefly, as they are the people who helped get this club to where we are and who knows where this club can become

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
4 years since first game and about 5 years as an albion supporter.

But can we take a moment away from all of this for a second.

Sometime ago when we played Rotherham, Bas' first game I think, dull match finished goalless I think their was an announcement that a fellow Albion supporter who first went some 70-80 years ago. That supporter has seen a hell of a lot through his years folllowing the Albion, but he never managed to see if we ever got our stadium.

Just think, all the Albion supporters who have left us after the Goldstone was taken away but before Falmer was realised, they will never know we got our new home.

I just hope we all remember them in our hearts briefly, as they are the people who helped get this club to where we are and who knows where this club can become

see my ask the club, where i ask if we can have a minutes silence at the first game for all the fans that wont be there:down:

Albalbion

Feb 24, 2009
Kingston
Cant quite remember my first game at the Goldstone, i was only four, and then it was gone soon after :'( i remember seeing everyone run accross the corner at bellotti and then sat on a wall outside the west stand with my dad and watched everyone smash it up. Had a season ticket at priestfield, fun times 150 mile round trip every week, got to be the mascot there against torquay and we won 2-0, season ticket at withdean, 6-0 win against mansfield on our first day back sticks out for me there, and of course invading the pitch when we won the league (twice). Memories like this make you remember how it is you fell in love with a football club. Cant wait to get to falmer.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
My grandfather, who is still alive, first went to watch the Albion in 1923 (at the age of 6). He won't go to the Withdean on principle but I am hoping that he will still be around to witness the first game at Falmer.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Only 25 for me I'm afraid. My first match was against Wimbledon in December 1984. My dad and I sat in the Lego Stand, and I managed to go in every part of the ground except the away corner before the old place closed.

That is FREAKY. That was also my first game, in the same stand and I also went on to do all parts of the ground with my dad too :clap:

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
You aint lived if you aint been in the North Stand with over 30,000 in the ground, especially mid week games, the whole place rocked:)

they were just magic

Was there ever a crowd of over 30k for a midweek match? Where are the staticians.
I went to one Sheffield Wednesday I think and the whole east terrace was packed so it must have been 30k+ or near to it and I think we won the match 3-2

51 years and hoping to be at the first Falmer match and unless we win the lottery it might be my last

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
My first game was when I was 11 in 1983 Vs Liverpool...(makes it 26 years following the boys)..

Still can't go to the goldstone retail park..I will once Falmer is completed..still to painful I am afraid.

Same as me:thumbsup:

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Apologies for missing out Priestfield - believe it or not I actually bought a season ticket there (a bit of a "gesture" to show support at what was a horrendous time). I'm now into my 41st year of watching the Albion. There were some great games at the Goldstone - one of my faves was 71/71 vs Aston Villa when we beat them 2-1. "Only" about 22,000 watched it. That was the season when Villa v Bournemouth attracted about 45,000, if memory serves.

I can't help feeling that the perennial whingers on this site are an awful lot younger than guys like me in my mid-forties. The only advice I have is - have patience! It won't all happen overnight, and just because we aren't winning every game NOW it doesn't mean that we haven't got the germs of a decent team and a very good manager.

snake199

Brighton By The Sea
Oct 9, 2009
Portslade
First Game was against Grimsby I think 2004 when we won 3-0, haven't gone since until Friday for my birthday, that was what I've been missing for 5 years? Been a supporter and followed our results and hopefully going to get out to 3-4 games a season.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Cant quite remember my first game at the Goldstone, i was only four, and then it was gone soon after :'( i remember seeing everyone run accross the corner at bellotti and then sat on a wall outside the west stand with my dad and watched everyone smash it up. Had a season ticket at priestfield, fun times 150 mile round trip every week, got to be the mascot there against torquay and we won 2-0, season ticket at withdean, 6-0 win against mansfield on our first day back sticks out for me there, and of course invading the pitch when we won the league (twice). Memories like this make you remember how it is you fell in love with a football club. Cant wait to get to falmer.

Your first game was v Cardiff, we won 1-0 which was lucky for you or i would have branded you unlucky and not tahen you again, then again maybe it was unlucky for you :laugh:
The game when everyone ran across the pitch was Darlington, Bellotti imposed his exclusion zone that lasted about two minutes, That match was bottom v second bottom, there was never gonna be any trouble at that one :laugh:

34 years of mostly suffering for me now :facepalm: given my time over again i would support...... Brighton all over again.

Albalbion

Feb 24, 2009
Kingston
Your first game was v Cardiff, we won 1-0 which was lucky for you or i would have branded you unlucky and not tahen you again, then again maybe it was unlucky for you :laugh:
The game when everyone ran across the pitch was Darlington, Bellotti imposed his exclusion zone that lasted about two minutes, That match was bottom v second bottom, there was never gonna be any trouble at that one :laugh:

34 years of mostly suffering for me now :facepalm: given my time over again i would support...... Brighton all over again.

Are you stalking me??

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
yeah i sort of liked going to gillingham,would rather that than sit in all weathers at withdean! Crawley would have been the best option i think.

Take those rose-tinted spectacles off! The stadium might be better than Withdean but pre-match involved spending time in Gillingham - how can that compare with the delights of Brighton?

Can't say I look back at that time with any fondness - the only thing worth celebrating was the fact that we still had a club to support!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here