Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Goldstone to Falmer - Charity walk??

STEVIEBABIE1

Jul 31, 2010
A few years ago, when planning permission was originally granted for Falmer, I contacted the Albion Supporters Club suggesting a charity sponsored walk from The Goldstone to Falmer via Withdean.

To this day, I have not been able to venture near the Goldstone and vowed that I never would - until we have our new home at Falmer. The supporters club thought that there were many others like myself and that at that time the possibility of doing the walk was not viable.

However, with the opening of the Amex coming round quickly now I understand that there is a growing number of individuals who would like to undertake the walk on the opening day of the stadium.

I have been a charity fundraiser for the last 16 years and have organised many successful fundraising events such as abseils, bungee jumps, bike rides and sponsored walks, raising many thousands of pounds in the process. I organised the Santa Fun Run and Walk last Sunday in Eastbourne as well.

I am also a life-long Albion fan since 1966 when my dad first took me to the Goldstone!

I would be happy to organise the Goldstone to Falmer walk with a 50/50 split of income between my own charity (The Myasthenia Gravis Association - muscle weakness condition) and Albion in the Community or another suitable charitable cause.

This way we could harness the enthusiasm of all those wishing to undertake this very significant walk and raise funds for good causes at the same time. It seems the club may well support the walk so it would be good to get it organised safely and properly with the appropriate levels of support for participants.

Anyone who thinks this would be a good way to go then please let me know here. The next step would then to be to contact the club!

Thanks!:amex:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Not for me, I want a quiet reflective walk to lay the Goldstone ghosts to rest. Can do it at a different time though and will be doing pretty much the same walk every week to get there anyway.

Jimbo.GRFC

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
A few years ago, when planning permission was originally granted for Falmer, I contacted the Albion Supporters Club suggesting a charity sponsored walk from The Goldstone to Falmer via Withdean.

To this day, I have not been able to venture near the Goldstone and vowed that I never would - until we have our new home at Falmer. The supporters club thought that there were many others like myself and that at that time the possibility of doing the walk was not viable.

However, with the opening of the Amex coming round quickly now I understand that there is a growing number of individuals who would like to undertake the walk on the opening day of the stadium.

I have been a charity fundraiser for the last 16 years and have organised many successful fundraising events such as abseils, bungee jumps, bike rides and sponsored walks, raising many thousands of pounds in the process. I organised the Santa Fun Run and Walk last Sunday in Eastbourne as well.

I am also a life-long Albion fan since 1966 when my dad first took me to the Goldstone!

I would be happy to organise the Goldstone to Falmer walk with a 50/50 split of income between my own charity (The Myasthenia Gravis Association - muscle weakness condition) and Albion in the Community or another suitable charitable cause.

This way we could harness the enthusiasm of all those wishing to undertake this very significant walk and raise funds for good causes at the same time. It seems the club may well support the walk so it would be good to get it organised safely and properly with the appropriate levels of support for participants.

Anyone who thinks this would be a good way to go then please let me know here. The next step would then to be to contact the club!

Thanks!:amex:

I'm all for it and did suggest the walk about six weeks ago, didn't incorporate the charity side to it though. Given recent family events dare I suggest the other 50% be presented to the Rocking Horse appeal and something I will would like to discuss with you later StevieBabie1 is perhaps we could run with this charity for the 1st season at our new home. I'm addressing this subject delicately as one or two people have suggested that after 10 years the REMF fund may have run its course, if so why not choose a charity that symbolises the future, just like our club. As someone with previous organising skills, you sound like the man to drive it (I wouldn't know where to get those sealed buckets from) but will be more than willing to drive this forward with you.

During our first season its feasible we will have people looking to find any flaw that they can, not that it matters because we have already moved in. But as a PR exercise it will show that we as BHA fans are the caring side of football. Coming back from the childrens hospital tonight got me really thinking about this so your post is very timely. We don't need much from the club, just their permission to operate these buckets. If each fan was to drop £1 (utopia) into the bucket each game (lets say 12,000 fans per match - random figure possibly but should be higher), and in reality the ticket prices do work out cheaper than Withdean. That could potentially raise £276,000 and that doesn't include potential cup games and other events.

If you want to discuss this through further, then lets talk. Anyone from the club reading this your views would be much welcomed. Without going public on this at this stage I'm sure the mod has my email address

Last edited:

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I think the walk should go via the Withdean aswell. I know that means making it a very hilly, and long, walk but I think it is important to show respect to our temporary home between permanent ones. I am deffinitely up for the walking idea, and working in the betting shop I do, I could easily get alot of sponsorship money together, and organise a fund raising effort in other shops across the city aswell.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I think the walk should go via the Withdean aswell. I know that means making it a very hilly, and long, walk but I think it is important to show respect to our temporary home between permanent ones. I am deffinitely up for the walking idea, and working in the betting shop I do, I could easily get alot of sponsorship money together, and organise a fund raising effort in other shops across the city aswell.
But if you think it's important to show respect to the temporary home shouldn't you do Gillingham as well? Personally, having thought about it, as Withdean was never meant to be 'home' I don't think it counts, or to put it another way, it counts as much as Priestfield. For me now it's all about leaving the Goldstone and arriving at Falmex. But that's just my view and one of the reasons I'm doing the walk independently (plus I won't struggle in any pubs en-route to get served as I won't be part of a large crowd.)

Anyway this is about the twentieth thread we've had on this subject in the last two or three years with about a dozen people claiming it was their idea. Those of you who want an organised walk had better pull your fingers out and DO something as opposed to just talking about it. Us 'unorganised' ones are ready to go! That point is worth making as there doesn't HAVE to be an organised walk. People can organise themselves, get sponsored if they wish, and just get on with it.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I wonder if the chap that complained about each and every thing at Withdean would stick the kettle on for us all, just to say sorry?

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Not sure I like the idea of "doing a deal" about which charoty gets what. I'm sure StevieBabie1 is a nice chap but this has been discussed many times befofe - not sure why his charity get dibs on half of any funds raised. My impression from previous threads has been that most people would rather do this as an informal thing for their own reasons. By akll means come along and raise some money for your choice of charity if you like, but I don't want to be part of some organised, marshalled, sponsorship formed event. I simply want to walk from The Goldstone to Falmer on the day of our first game and remember people and events that have some meaning to me along the way.

Sorry if I sound bah humbug - but I personally don't want to see this thing made into an event and I don't see why this fella (or any other) should be even thinking they can offer to organise something in return for keeping some of the funds that may be raised.

(and before you call me a tight-wad, I donate to one charity directly each month and I support one other with regular payments and time. This is not an anti-charity comment. It's an anti-hoopla comment).

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Not sure I like the idea of "doing a deal" about which charoty gets what. I'm sure StevieBabie1 is a nice chap but this has been discussed many times befofe - not sure why his charity get dibs on half of any funds raised. My impression from previous threads has been that most people would rather do this as an informal thing for their own reasons. By akll means come along and raise some money for your choice of charity if you like, but I don't want to be part of some organised, marshalled, sponsorship formed event. I simply want to walk from The Goldstone to Falmer on the day of our first game and remember people and events that have some meaning to me along the way.

Sorry if I sound bah humbug - but I personally don't want to see this thing made into an event and I don't see why this fella (or any other) should be even thinking they can offer to organise something in return for keeping some of the funds that may be raised.

(and before you call me a tight-wad, I donate to one charity directly each month and I support one other with regular payments and time. This is not an anti-charity comment. It's an anti-hoopla comment).
Spot on, and echoes my views 100%. I don't understand why some people feel they can't do it unless someone else organises it.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Spot on, and echoes my views 100%. I don't understand why some people feel they can't do it unless someone else organises it.

Yup, i'm with you 2 guys in that I'll make the walk from The Goldsone to Falmer in my own time at the first game I go to when I choose to.

Not sure I like the idea of "doing a deal" about which charoty gets what. I'm sure StevieBabie1 is a nice chap but this has been discussed many times befofe - not sure why his charity get dibs on half of any funds raised. My impression from previous threads has been that most people would rather do this as an informal thing for their own reasons. By akll means come along and raise some money for your choice of charity if you like, but I don't want to be part of some organised, marshalled, sponsorship formed event. I simply want to walk from The Goldstone to Falmer on the day of our first game and remember people and events that have some meaning to me along the way.Sorry if I sound bah humbug - but I personally don't want to see this thing made into an event and I don't see why this fella (or any other) should be even thinking they can offer to organise something in return for keeping some of the funds that may be raised.

Us too. Quite like your idea of routing via the Evening Star and the Lord Nelson instead of Withdean though Brovion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here