Goldstone retail park

Goldstone Retail Park -Would you shop there

• Never Ever Till I Drop.

Votes: 54 65.9%
  • I Might one day when Falmer is built.

Votes: 9 11.0%
  • I Go there now.

Votes: 10 12.2%
  • I would never go but the Mrs dragged me to toys'R'us.

Votes: 9 11.0%

• Total voters

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
I'm afraid I'm with Marshy on this one. Some of you might remembner that I have already confessed to being dragged to Toys R Us for the sake of our 9month old son on the morning opf the Bmuff game. I insisted on us all wearing full colours but we haven't won since!! :nono: :nono:

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
I won't go there all the time we are still without our own ground. However once Falmer is built I am prepared to turn over a new leaf as I don't want to remain bitter and twisted about the Goldstone for ever. Can't say that any of the shops there appeal to me anyway.

As for as Wickes/Focus are concerned I will refuse to cross their thresholds all the time Archer owns them. If he sells (or preferably dies) then I would consider going back in after a suitable period of reflection, and in the unlikely event that they are selling anything I want to buy.

I fully understand all those who say they'd never shop at the GRP or Wickes, but I feel once things are right again then I can move on.

No nay never etc

In fact I boycott all the shops there and will not even get buses that go past it - i would rather walk a long way than even acknowlege its existance

Boycotting the shops isn't difficult - I don't need a sofa, plenty of other electrical retailers available, the Seasgulls Superstore satisfies all my footy needs and I can't stand Burgers

And if I ever need to buy a pot of paint, rest assured that it will not under any circumstances be bought from Fukoff and Die

ChutneyStirrer

Sep 14, 2003
I bought some sofas at DFS in the Goldstone Retail Park and I shop regularly at Wickes in Davigdor Road - does that make me a bad person?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
a few simple facts . .

all of those stores are crap, they sell mass produced shyte to the masses

the large companies who reside there dont know anything about Brighton Football club . . . .why should they ? they bought/leased legitimately procured and developed land.

The only gripe you can legitimately have is with the formewr directors of the club who sold the land in the first place, and perhaps the developers who where also involved, possibly in providing backhanders in thanks for getting such a bloody good deal.

I hate the place like I hate all community killing shopping mall type places. I also hate the place because of what it was . . . .the home of Brighton and Hove Albion.

I have shopped there once, to get my 4 year old Neice a Birthday present that I couldnt find anywhere else, try explaining it to her !

I felt as guilty as sin n the process, but its bloody stupid really

lets just be grateful we came through it, and keep our fingers and toes crossed we get a new stadium soon

a few generations down the line we'll wonder what the fuss is all about, the Goldstone was so knackered . . . .it didnt exqactly take much to knock it down !

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I don't go there because I would get too emotional. I nearly crashed the car when I drove past by accident while the ground was being demolished and always go out of my way to go round it now.

However, my wife did manage to get me to go to Toys R Us once and I hated it. To cap it off, the service was absolutely shite, and I told them so.

My wife still goes there and seems to make a point of phoning me to tell me where she is, but I won't be going back, as there's nothing worthwhile there to go for.

I also avoid Focus in Burgess Hill as much as possible, but have to confess to two indiscretions in the last year. :shootself

Last edited:

Simon

Jul 5, 2003
I can go past there now, and luckily remember the good times, but I vowed never to actually shop in any of the shops that are on land where any part of the Goldstone was, and it will remain that way.

Tazman

Jul 5, 2003
Seaford Where else!
Sorry chaps, but i love Toys R us and large electrical retailers. Go there whenever i pass. well, nearly!
If/when we get Falmer, and if we ever find ourselves in the same situation as the goldstone, then, if the Gadget Shop put a big Superstore on Falmer...I'm shopping there!!!

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
I've not been anywhere near the place since the Donny game.

I might be wrong but does Archer still own Wicks and Focus? I thought I read somewhere that he had sold them.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Kent Seagull said:

I might be wrong but does Archer still own Wicks and Focus? I thought I read somewhere that he had sold them.

As of their 2002 annual report he was still the chairman

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Drove past there last night for about the 3rd time, got angry and put my foot down to get away from it.

Horrible.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I'd never shop in focus, there is no excuse, they are a minnow in the market and plenty of alternatives. NEVER shop in Focus :eek:

I was having a scrap with a mate about this last night.

He was saying it's funny how some people he knows will boycott a few firms for building on the Goldstone but will quite happily continue to shop at places like McDonalds and Nike which are f***ing up the planet we all live on, but until they start putting framed pictures of maimed animals and dying Africans on the walls in these places people just turn a blind eye.

Which normally I would agree with, but he didn't understand the emotional thing that comes with just looking at the Goldstone now, it's kinda like a scar. I don't like the companies who bought the Goldstone but it wasn't their fault it happened so there's no point getting pissed off.

I'm not really sure what I'm trying to say.

xx

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
anyone seen the advert for D.F.S when they actually put "on the site of the old Brighton football ground".Now that really pisses me off.:angry:

marvin

Jul 5, 2003
The corner quietly rusting
Kent Seagull said:

He tried to float the company on the stock market which is why he agreed to sell the £1.6m debt the club "owed" him for £0.8m (or there abouts). We hope this was on the "flawed" advice of advisors who said if you don't do something about them football supporters you upset they may well try to scupper the float in some way. Don't know much do they, having no debt he can blackmail us with probably makes it more likely.

The float was pulled due to the price he was likely to get for it being below what he wanted for it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/2077444.stm

Its not come back to the market yet that I know of. Usually the first place you would find out about it is here as plan are created for supporter involvement in it. Buy shares go disrutpt AGM's etc.

Kenhead

Oct 1, 2003
Brighton
Uncle Buck said:
Anyone fancy a game of say 1000 aside in the car park at say 9am the Saturday after the Port Vale game?

i remeber reading and article a few years back about some brighton fans going back to the goldstone retail park and had a kick about, i think they lost there ball and went to the sports shop to demand another ball, i think of the top of my head!!

Exiled in Exeter

Jul 16, 2003
W3D
I’d never shop there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here