Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Goldstone retail park quandary

What he said...............

Exactly so.

My father's funeral corteige stopped briefly opposite where the North Stand was but apart from then I have not been there since the Albion left. However, my son and I will walk from that spot to Falmer for the first home league game - it was our promise to him.

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
However, my son and I will walk from that spot to Falmer for the first home league game - it was our promise to him.

genuinely touched me that. Forget how much this stadium means so much more outside of my life. I'll give a little nod upstairs on his behalf on the first game of the season.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
For me it's one big grave. And I don't walk on graves.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Hmmmm....have been to Toys R Us a couple of times because we were in the area and the kids were really excited about going there and I'm not enough of a bastard to knock them back because there used to be a football ground there.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
my son and I will walk from that spot to Falmer for the first home league game - it was our promise to him.

I was touched by this too.

That seems like a really meaningful thing to do.

Is it something that lots of fans would consider doing? Even a couple of hundred of us doing it could be a brilliant way of laying the ghosts to rest.

Or AADOO - would you feel others were intruding on your personal plan?

Maybe start a new thread if you think this could/should be a mass event?

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I was touched by this too.

That seems like a really meaningful thing to do.

Is it something that lots of fans would consider doing? Even a couple of hundred of us doing it could be a brilliant way of laying the ghosts to rest.

Or AADOO - would you feel others were intruding on your personal plan?

Maybe start a new thread if you think this could/should be a mass event?
It's been discussed before and there are a few of us who want to do it for our various reasons. There was talk that the club might be doing an 'official' walk or a sponsored walk which I want no part of (marshalls, stewards, flourescent jackets, etc. No thanks)

nutter

Jul 6, 2003
Brighton
I went last year after years of avoiding it. I walked around the perimeter to work out where everthing was. Around the south east and south west of the ground you could still picture where the stands were but the north end has changed a lot because of the car park. To be honest it was nice going back. So many memories with my late father that I could relive in my mind. The goldstone memories will always be there, both good and bad but as other people have said, we've moved on now, to something far better and something that ,while we were at the goldstone were trying to get even then. Just because Archer etc are ***** why should we feel bad for going where our old ground used to be? I know feelings are raw and it was a time that we'll never forget but lets move on now. It's time to look forward.:amex:

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
It's been discussed before and there are a few of us who want to do it for our various reasons. There was talk that the club might be doing an 'official' walk or a sponsored walk which I want no part of (marshalls, stewards, flourescent jackets, etc. No thanks)

Agreed about the 'official' aspect. And, equally, not for charity! It seems that any time anybody does anything that's not an everyday activity, it has to be for charity ...

countrygull

Jul 22, 2003
Horsham
Interesting topic this, one issue which seems to split Albion fans approximately 50/50. I love the idea of the walk (the informal one) and I would definitely go there for that. As for the new sofa: well I can happily avoid the whole contentious issue - and the area - because there seems general consensus that DFS is shit.

Vicar!

Jul 22, 2003
Worthing
The stores are to blame, and are diectly responsible for years of misery. Unless they pay the club massive compensation with a direct apoligy the ban will apply to all business that trade there for ever.

Quite agree.
There's a number of fans who will clearly do this but it's something individual, private and personal for each one; some sort of organised march/walk, however well intentioned, will definitely not be right.
A leasurely stroll, maybe a pint at the Sportsman en-route to say a final goodbye to Withdean then on to Falmer for the final catharsis - that's how we'll do it.

Albalbion

Feb 24, 2009
Kingston
I was FORCED comepletely against my will into the car park there when i was about ten. :tantrum: My mum wanted to take us to Toys R Us to see what we wanted for christmas. I point blank refused to leave the car and enter that sacriligious building. I'll never shop there.

:thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here