Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Goldstone Photo's - April 1979

Duncan Muir

Dec 29, 2008
Laughton, East Sussex
These are 5 photo's I took way back in April 1979. As a 21 year old I had just bought my first car and where else could I head for but the home of my beloved Brighton & Hove Albion - The Goldstone Ground.
I first went there as a 7 year old on Boxing Day 1964 and last went there in the April of 1997 :(
After parking my car I sneaked in and quickly took five photo's with my old compact camera and left before Frankie Howerd saw me !
I have tried to clean them up as I thought they would bring back some great memories of our time there ... or if you are too young, to give you a glimpse of what was once the place to be - before some toy shop took it's place !
I still take photo's ... driving past Falmer most days I stop at least once a week and take some and even camcorder ... Roll on Falmer ... SEAGULLS !!!

Attachments

• goldstone77.jpg
    goldstone77.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,091

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Some things I appeared to have missed completely. When where the seats removed from the South Stand? :shrug: I'm sure there used to be seats.

Duncan Muir

Dec 29, 2008
Laughton, East Sussex
South Stand Seats

The seats are there - in the darkness behind the blue hoarding. Limitations of a 70's compact camera unfortunately. The South Stand was always terraces at the front and seats at the back. I think this only changed to all seats during the 80's (or maybe even the early 90's). There was a fire in the south stand, so maybe that was when they decided to make it all seated :albion2:

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
The seats are there - in the darkness behind the blue hoarding. Limitations of a 70's compact camera unfortunately. The South Stand was always terraces at the front and seats at the back. I think this only changed to all seats during the 80's (or maybe even the early 90's). There was a fire in the south stand, so maybe that was when they decided to make it all seated :albion2:

9. On 19th April 1980, following the Middlesborough game at the Goldstone, something occurred in the South Stand. What was it?
A fire, probably started by a cigarette end, which destroyed the wooden seating in the stand. ( Club website Quiz 2004 )

My memory is not playing tricks. Before 1980 it was all seater.

Duncan Muir

Dec 29, 2008
Laughton, East Sussex
As the photo shows, and my South Strand Terrace season tickets, there was definitely Terraces in front of the wooden seats (where I also sat from time to time) all through the 70's. As you say, the fire was in 1980 and so thereafter it was probably converted to an all seater stand.:albion2:

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Great pics, great memories.

As you say, the south was terracing infront of seats. It was somewhat'fortunate' that a fire occured after the last game of the season and, presumably, the insurance money came in handy for the planned conversion to all seater.

back in the early 70's there were not alot of travelling fans (for most games) so the away fans went in the south only for some Albion fans to set up a 'crew' for the south. Must have been quite intimadating for away fans. I particually remember when mansfield were top of the league and they brought a fair few down for a big match (23,000 crowd) and their fans had to disperce and hide throughout the South & West terraces as they were 'hunted down'._

Guerrero

Jul 17, 2010
Near Alicante.Spain
Great pics, great memories.

As you say, the south was terracing infront of seats. It was somewhat'fortunate' that a fire occured after the last game of the season and, presumably, the insurance money came in handy for the planned conversion to all seater.

back in the early 70's there were not alot of travelling fans (for most games) so the away fans went in the south only for some Albion fans to set up a 'crew' for the south. Must have been quite intimadating for away fans. I particually remember when mansfield were top of the league and they brought a fair few down for a big match (23,000 crowd) and their fans had to disperce and hide throughout the South & West terraces as they were 'hunted down'._

Brightons Newtown Roaders were always tougher than the Northstanders as they were prepared to go in with the enemy.
Great pictures and memories.
I loved the place and the characters I was lucky enough to have a few years working with there.:cry:

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
As the photo shows, and my South Strand Terrace season tickets, there was definitely Terraces in front of the wooden seats (where I also sat from time to time) all through the 70's. As you say, the fire was in 1980 and so thereafter it was probably converted to an all seater stand.:albion2:

I had a season ticket in the back row of seats in the south stand from 1976 onwards. Before the fire the seats were just benches with no backs. Our back row seats enabled us to sit on a metal beam and lean against the back wall with our feet on the benches!. Saw most of Peter Wards goals from that seat.

The memories came flooding back with those pics.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here