Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Goldstone Ground

dheatley

Sep 14, 2009
Hi guys,

My name is Drew Heatley. I am writing a book titled ‘Lost League Football Grounds’, which will feature a double page spread on the Goldstone Ground. I am interested in gathering fan anecdotes about the old ground, including memories of big moments, and recollections of atmosphere etc to accompany a potted history and pictorial tribute. It’s an open invitation; feel free to post any memories and reminiscences in the reply, leaving your real name if you’d like for credit. It’d be extremely helpful and would add to the book to have a fan’s perspective.

Any queries contact me at drew.heatley@(no spam)gmail.com

Cheers!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Fantastic video, don't remember Storer's goal as being quite that hectic...probably had my head in my hands after the 1st ball off the bar

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
i can remember storers goal,well i can remember thier goalkeeper being bundled into the net then pinned down to the floor,the lino at the time half raised his flag then changed his mind bloody quick when the whole team came charging toward him celebrating,it was a horrible fantastic day if there is such a thing.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Isn't that our intrepid Beach Hut at 0:36!!!

also the first shots of people clapping...the chap sat down is our local verger at Good Shepherd in Mile Oak and that is his family just behind. They have photo's of themselves on coaches following the Albion away in the 50's and 60's.

I wonder how many people from those shots of the last game ever at the Goldstone have been lost for ever from our fan base?

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
I've always loved the way Maskell totally pulled the Donnie goalie to the floor!!

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
What a superb video, I've never seen that before either. Wow, the old ground look really good at times, almost reminiscent of Anfield or Wembley. :jester:

Since that day fateful day when we played our last ever game at the Goldstone, I've never been back. I turned round, taking once last look from the back of the North, then walked out never looking back. I've never been past since, and probably never will be. In my minds eyes, it's still there, because I've never seen that plot of land with anything other than the Goldstone Ground standing on it.

That's how it must remain, as the alternative is too horrible to imagine. Maybe I'll be able to stomach it after Falmer is built, but I'm not sure.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Just buy a copy of build of a bonfire to give you some proper background.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
[yt]KxPW19rO1OI&feature=related[/yt]

:cry::cry::cry:

I was thinking when I watched that, how easy it is to forget everything that's gone before, in order to get us to where we are now.

Falmer's finally being built, every day we see new photos, and while the team's fortunes may have gone up and down on the pitch, everything behind the scenes is (relatively) stable. One year away from Sussex turned into two, a few years at Withdean have turned into, what, eight, nine, ten...and we've been there for so long now, all the controversy and turmoil has started to fade away.

I'd like to think that, when we get to that elusive first game at Falmer, amongst all the celebrating and back-slapping, we'll all take a moment or two to remember the protests, the marches, boycotts, pitch invasions, forums, meetings, petitions, fireworks, flowers, cards, snowballs, badly-spelled graffiti and everything else that we went through to stop what was happening to OUR club.

Move on, but never forget the past :angry:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here