Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Goldstone Ground remembered

The History Man

Aug 16, 2003
Brighton
As Brighton & Hove Albion move into their new American Express Community Stadium, the club’s supporters are looking to remember their former home.

Albion played at the Goldstone Ground in Old Shoreham Road, Hove, for 95 years from 1902 until 1997. After its controversial sale, the ground was demolished and redeveloped while the club went on to play in temporary accommodation for fourteen years.

A retail park stands on the site, but there is no reminder that it was once occupied by a major sporting venue – an arena of entertainment that admitted around 23 million spectators in its lifetime.

Now, in conjunction with Brighton & Hove City Council, Albion supporters are looking to install a “Heritage Board” nearby.

Tim Carder, chairman of the Albion Collectors’ and Historians’ Society which is dedicated to promoting and preserving the history of the club, is overseeing the project. He explained:

“When the Goldstone Ground was taken from us fourteen years ago there was no ceremony – just the sound of supporters dismantling the ground for souvenirs and protesting against those that sold it.

“Now, as we move on to the magnificent Amex Stadium, it’s finally time to come to terms with the loss of the old ground and remember it in a formal and appropriate manner.

“A generation of fans that never knew the Goldstone Ground has grown up. A Heritage Board will allow us to tell our younger supporters and those not yet born something of the story of that well-loved venue.”

Standing in the south-west corner of Hove Park opposite the retail park, the Heritage Board will be close to the Goldstone itself – that is the large rock which gave its name to the valley, Goldstone Bottom, and ultimately to the football ground. One side will display a history of the Goldstone Ground, the other will have an account of Goldstone Bottom and Hove Park.

Tim added:

“At the bottom of the board it will say ‘Sponsored by supporters of Brighton & Hove Albion FC’.

“The cost of the Heritage Board is being generously underwritten by the Albion Supporters’ Club, but I invite fans to make a small personal donation towards this tribute to what was, for many of us, a second home.”

Anyone wishing to contribute to the project can do so via Barclays Bank account 60937320, sort code 20-20-62, in the name of “Goldstone Heritage Fund”. Cheques or postal orders should sent to John Kirkland, 32 Buchans Lawn, Crawley RH15 9NZ.

Any excess income will be donated to Albion’s award-winning charity arm, Albion in the Community.

Details of the unveiling will be announced at a later date.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
The new Mecca for Palace fans graffiti! Please tell me it's "tamper proof"?

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
I walked past Hove Park at the weekend and couldn't see either the blue and white striped caravan thingy that used to live up there or the Gold Stone has it been taken away or just moved slightly? I assume the caravan just rotted away or got nicked!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I drove past for only about the third time the other day and I was struck by the lack of connection now other than the retail park name. I wondered then if a statue of Peter Ward by the road facing away from the ground with his arms aloft would be a fitting tribute. But I guess a heritage board ticks some boxes.

Cheshire

Jul 20, 2003
1066 Country
There is a whole new generation coming through who have no idea what used to be on that retail site, plus many that may have moved into the area. The Heritage Board will keep the story and memory going hopefully for many generations. Whatever our successes at the Amex the Goldstone needed something to mark a 95 year period of history and this Heritage Board seems very fitting. Well done to all involved in making an idea a reality.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I think it's a great idea. I've said it a thousand times but I wish they couldve just left one floodlight standing there.

bellsize seagull

Mar 1, 2004
north london
always rememember first trip November 1994....never looked back !
special tribute very fitting for those who stood for so many years at that amazing place

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Just bumped my own thread on this issue-good to see the wheels are in motion at last.

Apr 24, 2011
I found these in my loft today brought back all the memories of goldstone , can't stop thinking now , and yes a board is much needed

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1307804241.646804.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1307804241.646804.jpg
    972.6 KB · Views: 426
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1307804301.726724.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1307804301.726724.jpg
    925.4 KB · Views: 429

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here