Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Goldstone Ground Photos

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
My memories stretch back to Seventies and of course the glory years and those 33,000 crowds. Standing there looking at the weeds and sawn off crowd barriers , it was clear we either had to renovate or move. If it had been done properly , ie the new stadium waiting for us to move into after leaving the old ground , then it would have been a fond farewell and a wahaay to the new ground. But because of our well known history and those two greedy caniving twats , the old girl will always be right there in my heart and looked upon with the sort of fondness normally reserved for people we have once known , who were taken from us before we could say a proper and dignified goodbye .

So well put. Sums up my feelings exactly.

Albalbion

Feb 24, 2009
Kingston
Originally Posted by Albalbion
you gave up your season ticket for the goldstone in 2002-03 ???

I continued to go, but on a match by match basis rather than having a season ticket, and transferred to the North Stand, where I remained (not literally) until the ground closed.

oh...err....ok :shrug:

FKalinx

Aug 18, 2006
These pics are amazing - thanks.

Isn't it amazing to see the back of the West Stand - that would never pass building guidelines now - having steps down to the turnstiles. I also enjoyed the pics of the club shop - completely forgot that is what it was like (I was 7 mind).

Also, didn't know David Seaman was a steward!

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
I have about 600 photos from that period . From just before the Donny game ,the day of the game and then everyday until the final brick from the final wall by the west stand went into aggrigate crusher. It's totally weird I know, but I had an overwhelming sense of duty to be there everyday until there was no more to see.

Please put some up.

Thanks to the poster too for the pics, the picture of the north stand early before the game, that takes me back to the teen years when you'd get in early to get a good spot. Nice to also see it full.

:cry: But roll on Falmer.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
I've got loads of photos of the Goldstone but quite where they are I don't know. i will have to try and find them and post them on here

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Shit, this should carry some kind of health warning. Some of the happiest moments of my life were spent in that crumbling old stadium. With the excitement of Falmer I had put all this misery to the back of my mind but it's all flooding back now.

more pics:smokin:

Attachments

• scan0004 (2).jpg
    scan0004 (2).jpg
    844.4 KB · Views: 303
  • scan0005 (2).jpg
    scan0005 (2).jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 306
  • scan0001 (3).jpg
    scan0001 (3).jpg
    298.1 KB · Views: 303
  • scan0001 (5).jpg
    scan0001 (5).jpg
    579.3 KB · Views: 354
  • scan0003 (3).jpg
    scan0003 (3).jpg
    531.4 KB · Views: 297

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
Thanks for these. Means a lot seeing what the old boy was like seens I have no memory of it. Still makes me very sad though.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Brilliant photos by all concerned,
Will never forget the wardy goals, Gary nelsons best days and the Dean Wilkins free kick against Ipswich to send us into the playoffs..............gone but never forgotten

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
It's entirely understandable but such a pity that, by their nature, the later photos taken of the place make it look such a dump; because when I started going in the late 70s it certainly wasn't. True, it certainly lacked seats and, erm, roofs. But what there was was kept very neat and tidy right until the onset of the Dark Days in the mid-90s - the legendary likes of Frank Howard or Ron Pavey wouldn't have allowed anything else. Great photos.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
i know it's been said but...

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

It's almost been fourteen years but that shot of an occupied north stand makes it feel like yesterday.

That's it. Must be my mid-life crisis kicking in. Yearning for times past and all that.

Thanks for posting. Your timing is bang on. Feels like we can actually move on now.

this
and the people I used to go with that won't see Falmer I went once during its destruction ...but could not go again

Last edited:

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
more pics:smokin:

That last picture looks like it was taken from my ex wifes mum and dads house, if not they lived next door to the left??? (sort of opposite where it says 15 on the gate)

They lived there from the mid to late seventies I think it was, they first moved in when the houses were built, not to sure how long they stayed there, a good few years i believe.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Wow. Right now I just want to go back and watch us play at the Goldstone., How can Falmer top that? Its the shop that gets me the most, completely forgot it and now its bringing back all these memories, the first scarf I bought

Thanks. took me bak to me yoof.

Was the grass greener then?

The grass was damn green! That is my clearest memory of the Goldstone, walking up the steps at the back of the North Stand on an evening game, going through the gates at the top and seeing this beautiful green pitch laid out, bathed in floodlights. In some ways I'm pleased my last game there was a night game, when we beat Exeter 1-0 in 97

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here