Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gold says goodbye to the Albion

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Gold: My interest in Albion is finished
Birmingham chairman David Gold has revealed that his interest in investing in Albion is over.

The Premiership club finally pulled the plug today on a takeover bid by Hong Kong businessman Carson Yeung in a statement to the Stock Exchange.

Gold's interest in the Seagulls was dependent on the Yeung takeover going through, as League rules do not permit simultaneous involvement in more than one club.

Gold, speaking to The Argus today, said: "The deal with the Chinese is off. Our commitment to them is no longer in place.

"In effect David Sullivan and myself are back in charge of Birmingham, as their deadline has passed and the deal has not materialised.

"We are moving on. It is true that I am revitalised by the new manager (Alex McLeish) and a new, exciting era for us. I am chairman of Birmingham and will be for the foreseeable future."

Gold added that investing in another club "will now no longer be the case."

Are you disappointed that David Gold won't be coming to Albion?

11:15am today

By Andy Naylor

rool

Jul 10, 2003
I don't see any specific reference to the Albion in Gold's quotes though, was he ever interested?

gs71

Nov 26, 2007
After reading The Argus and the Mr Gold interview, he never once stated any thing about the Albion and I feel it is Mr Naylor stirring YET again. Why on earth don't we ban him from writing anything about the club? All he seems to do is pi$$ everyone off

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Hang on, that piece seems to have been cut from that on the BBC site, except journalistic licence has allowed the Argus to insert "the Seagulls".

Yes, this deal is dead, but Gold aint getting any younger and I supsect that the same reasons for him to sell i.e Birmingham is a long drive will still prevail when a new investor comes along (the Summer?)

In any case, there are other rich people out there.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
again. Why on earth don't we ban him from writing anything about the club? All he seems to do is pi$$ everyone off

Like we should have doine in the 90s when he first reported about the goings on and was banned by Bellotti.

He may not be right everytime but at least he makes sure that people are kept on their toes.

gs71

Nov 26, 2007
Not many of the players speak to him because he is a twat and causes trouble

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Daft to say goodbye when you've never said hello isn't it?

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Hang on, that piece seems to have been cut from that on the BBC site, except journalistic licence has allowed the Argus to insert "the Seagulls".

Except the bit that says "Gold, speaking to the Argus today, said..."

Naylor's obviously got a decent contact and he's got a reasonable story out of him. Which is his job.

Harldly suprising as Gold is walking away with £6m from this failed takeover.......

"David Gold says no other negotiations with any other company will start until next summer while Yeung will be looking to sell his shares back to the club.

"At today's rate, he faces a loss of £6m - a high price for his vanity purchase last summer."

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Did I not hear or read somewhere that a Russian is expressing interest and Gold has told him and any other possible buyer the deal would have to be done completly within 30 days.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Never mind, as Tony W says, there is a queue of people wanting to invest in the Albion....... isn't there? ???

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Why on earth don't we ban him from writing anything about the club? All he seems to do is pi$$ everyone off

because he writes interesting pieces and isnt afraid to criticise the club?

plus, if we did ban him then that is effectivley banning an argus, and with a club with failing attendances who need to be reaching out to the local people, that is probably one of the most stupid decisions the club could make

I don't see any specific reference to the Albion in Gold's quotes though, was he ever interested?

Don't let that get in the way of a good column-filling story.

But yes, it must mean that his interest in Brum City eclipses any interest he 'might' have had.

As for wanting him as an owner - it might turn out to be a blessing in disguise, or perhaps just another delay, but the club hasn't come this far to fold the cards just because a potential player didn't put anything in the pot.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here