Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Going to rome 2moro

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I didn't do the Vatican, this may cost, as the kids were bored/fed up/hot and wanted to go back to the swimming pool. Saving the Vatican for another weekend when I am only with the missus. With the rate of the euro at the moment, I may look at going again very soon!

Have a good time.

Its free but be prepared to queue for a while to get into St Peters and again to get into the Sistine Chapel, if you time it wrong it could take hours.

Fran Hagarty

Jul 5, 2003
Mid Sussex
Rome is wonderful. My favourite European city. Trastevere is great, especially in the evenings. It's popular not only with tourists but also frequented by locals so the restaurants are not the usual type of tourist ones. Lots of places to drink and eat. Cobbled streets and mediaeval buildings.
Trastevere - Rome by Area | Italy Heaven

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Has anyone been?

What would be your must goto place?

What would be your don't bother place?

And why?

Would love to get some feedback :smile:

Spanish steps, especially in the evening is always a nice spectacle.

spanish-stairs.jpg

Prodigal Son

Getting older by the day
Sep 21, 2009
Sussex
Lovely City and lovely people. Went to the official FC Roma Shop with my two lads and bought them club shirts. Lazio were playing Rome on the Saurday we were there so there were large crowds milling about and letting off fireworks in the underground stations - a bit scary but mainly good natured.

The city is a bit grubby with loads of graffiti. Stacks of things to see and do though. We took the DK Guide to Rome which was superb.

Enjoy!

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Watch out for the pickpockets and bag snatchers. The only place in the world where I've been done. Twice in one day ffs

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not to be missed ...

hotel_rome_bocca_della_verita.jpg

It's the spitting image of my great-grandad, btw.

This looks like one of those American "face of Christ in a pizza base" stories?

Glawstergull

May 21, 2004
GLAWSTERSHIRE
Ive been 3 times and love the place.
Watch your valuables as others have said.
Worth seeing-
St Peters Basilica
Cistine Chapel and its museum but very often a very long que.
Pantheon
Forum
Colloseum
But most of all just wander around looking at a very vibrant city.Most things can be reached by walking from the centre and you come across some real gems.
Just for a sense of history and atmosphere read Dan Brown's Angels and Demons.
Have a great trip

elbowpatches

Jul 7, 2003
Cambridge
Pay for a tour of the colluseum, you learn more. If there's a guide called alex, go with him. Half scottish, really good guide.

Rome market is great on a sunday.

Pantheon

Castel d'angelo. Piazza del popolo. The palace just down from the colluseum is massive and worth a look.

Appia Antica is really nice if you want a quiet countryside walk.

So much to see in Rome. Can't wait to go back.

Agree with all these, but would also just add it is well worth just enjoying the city and the food. Make sure you have air conditioning though - it is very stuffy in August! We found ourselves dipping our feet in the fountains to keep cool.

The forum is great and used to have free tours too.

One word of advice - if anyone comes up to you dressed as a centurion and asks if you want a photograph in front of the Colosseum, only do it if you are prepared to pay and ask how much first if you want to have one!

Last word - enjoy it!

Fran Hagarty

Jul 5, 2003
Mid Sussex
Dreadful time of the year to go, far too hot to enjoy

However, there are plenty of drinking fountains around, with chilled water. Make sure you have a bottle with you to fill! I can recommend the ice cream - lots of places that sell loads of different flavours. great when it's hot!

FOOTSKI

Sep 30, 2010
Kent
Got back late last night. Thanks for the tips. The place was great, so much to see so little time. Will be looking foward to going again.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Another vote for Ostia Antica. I prefer it to Pompeii, for a sense of what Roman urban life was like, and infinitely less crowded.

On the Metro....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here