Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Going to football....alone

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Curious Orange said:
I used to go with my Dad to the Goldstone. He became disenchanted, but I didn't. None of my mates are Brighton fans so going to games alone is pretty much all I know.

However you do get to meet some nice people on your travels.

Totally my experience. An Albion fan at Seaford Head School was a very rare commodity in my time there. Arsenal and Man Ure on the other hand....

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005
How would i know?I'm pissed.
Cheeky Monkey said:
Totally my experience. An Albion fan at Seaford Head School was a very rare commodity in my time there. Arsenal and Man Ure on the other hand....
What year did you leave then?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
bakesy said:
What year did you leave then?

87. To be fair I bumped into more 'closet' Seaford Head Albion fans at games after leaving than I ever knew existed when I was at school there.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
cant you get the train any cheaper?

sounds like a fun trip to me if I wasnt going to London on December 14th

how much does the whole thing cost overall?(for you)

then i can work out if it seems like worth going.

Ringer

Nov 26, 2005
Brighton
Quite simple surely - if you want to go and support the club then bloody go!!

If you've got mates going in their own car then you can meet up with them there can't you?

Lost count of the amount of times I've gone to games on my own, but when the game kicks off who gives a shit?

Lord Bracknell said:
Very occasionally I lapse into being the football supporter I was when I was 10 years old and sneak off on my own to watch the once-mighty Newport County.

The last time I saw them play was at Lewes, where - as it happens - I know quite a few Rooks supporters. But, as an opposition supporter for the day, it didn't seem right to join them.

So there I was, isolated behind the goal, when who should come up and speak to me but ...

... Tim Cutress.

:eek:

Moral of the story... go with your mates.

Glory hunting celebrity ho!

Shizuoka Dolphin

NSC M0DERATOR
Jul 8, 2003
N/A
For me going to football is as much about going to the pub with your mates before and after the game and al the the banter related to it as much as the game itself.

The only game I've been to alone was Tranmere v Reading a few years back. It was the game that secured us promotion. :clap2:

Last edited:

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
I went to Spurs many years ago on my own and ended up in the Spurs end as the away end was full,in front of me were 3 other Albion fans and they were not very quiet about it.After about 30 mins there were a lot of big Fellas all around them and one of them decided to Piss all down these Albion fans and they were to scared to do anything.,I just stood there and watched them thanking myself for not going over to them when I first spotted them!!

But apart from that go and enjoy yourself,wear your colours and someone will have a chat with you etc as Footie shirts are a great way of bringing down Social barriers

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Cheeky Monkey said:

Whereas at Sondes Place School it was all Liverpool, Arsenal and Crystal Palace!!

:eek:

To be fair I have managed to drag my Dad along to a handfull of games over the years - he's actually been to two games this season!!

Stumpy Tim

bhaexpress said:
Personal choice if you must know.

Oh right. That's not sad! That's personal choice. I've done that a few times, especially when I went to Uni at York.

I went to Scunthorpe, Donny & Darlington during the Hereford season. Lost every game, didn't score a goal. Never do that again

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Stumpy Tim said:
Oh right. That's not sad! That's personal choice. I've done that a few times, especially when I went to Uni at York.

I went to Scunthorpe, Donny & Darlington during the Hereford season. Lost every game, didn't score a goal. Never do that again

To be honest it's more of not having to rely on others for transport and timing. I can go as and when I like and so on. Also, travelling single is often less hassle as far as fans and Police are concerned. I've met fans of other clubs who travel on their own or in twos and they agree.

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005
How would i know?I'm pissed.
Cheeky Monkey said:
87. To be fair I bumped into more 'closet' Seaford Head Albion fans at games after leaving than I ever knew existed when I was at school there.
I left in '80 and there were a fair few of us........i remember about 15 of us from my year went up to Selhurst in '79..........we all got stopped by plain clothed OB after we chased a group of Palace down the road:lolol: :lolol:

Parson Henry

Jan 6, 2004
Victor Bhanerjee's notebook
bakesy said:
I left in '80 and there were a fair few of us........i remember about 15 of us from my year went up to Selhurst in '79..........we all got stopped by plain clothed OB after we chased a group of Palace down the road:lolol: :lolol:

What without Yorkie?

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
No Brighton fans in Cheshunt so I usually go alone, home and away. Always find people to chat to, I don't think I could ever feel lonely in a Brighton end.

Off to Watford soon, the luxury of a game less than an hour's drive away.. M25 permitting.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Weirdly enough the first ever Albion away game I went to alone was at Vicarage Road circa 1990 and the road to Wembley season. Fantastic day out, tramping through the allotments, met some good people and cries of "Brighton are back!" echoed from the away end (if my memory serves we won 1-0 with Tony Meola in goala).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here