Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Going the Donny Way?

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
er .... bit of an overreaction?!!! I don't think its a question of stopping playing the way we play but surely in this division we need a bit more height, skill and physicality to complement the passing game not replace it!![/QUOTE

just like barcelona!!!

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
Not going to happen on a large scale while Gus is here, although sometimes I can understand the merits of having someone with a bit of presence in the spine of the team especially. And just because they're big, it doesn't mean they can't play a bit too; after THAT evening I think everyone acknowledges that we miss Murray's presence a bit.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
You miss the point. It really doesn't matter which division you're in if you play the the game like Gus wants. Now correct me if I'm wrong but did we win the league last year, the league one trophy that is without one.
In response, I feel you missed my point. Yes we did win the league without one last year, however this is a different division with a better calibre of players. I love the style of play we have adopted since Gus took over, and I am not for one moment suggesting we sign a squad of muscle, but their is no harm in looking at A player to break up the opposition attack if we are under constant pressure. I'm not talking about a Vinny Jones type, more of a Lucas Leiva, someone who will happily put the tackle in and be able to use it productively.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yes, we did win the league last year - but we're in a higher division now, playing against better, faster and stronger players than we did last season. Some teams in the Premiership play good passing football too, but better and faster than we can, again with better, faster and stronger players - ManU, for example - Cantona, Scholes, Giggs, Rooney - all can / could play a bit(!) but they're not exactly softies either, are they?
So yes, we could use a bit more power - and that doesn't have to mean less skill.

Aquilaugh

Jan 9, 2011
And just because they're big, it doesn't mean they can't play a bit too;

Palace fan here, it seemed clear to me when we played you that you need a bit more of a physical prescence, not only up front but maybe in the middle, I have to say that Murray has given us what we've been missing and we now have someone who can not only hold the ball up (James Vaughn was poor at that), but can also play a bit. We have been playing better football of late but can also change the way we play if we need to be more direct, I don't see that with Brighton, and all of the Brighton fans I know feel the same, we recently played W Ham who as you will find out are quite physical, they played some nice football but when they needed a goal on comes Carew and long diagonal balls started being driven into the box, they equalised from just that. You have some very talented players but teams can nulify that threat once the secrets out, which it is, you play lovely football as did Swansea last season and they got promoted, the difference at the moment is that they conceeded very few goals, as I see it you need to improve your full backs and or have the personnel that allows you to change things.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here