Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Going for Italian tonight - What should I have?

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Mexican, jeez that's kids food. How many ways can I fold this flat bread and smother it in cheese.

Pizza's are Italian. Those american things with the thick base are an abomination. Hello I'd like some carbohydrate stodge please. Aargh sir may I recommend the deep pan.

chips and gravy

Jan 5, 2004
worthing
I avoid pizza at restaurants since I usually make these at home with the help of my bread maker

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Voroshilov said:
Mexican, jeez that's kids food. How many ways can I fold this flat bread and smother it in cheese.
Rubbish.
The sheer variety in Mexican food borders on the bewildering. Even the vegetarian stuff looks fantastic there for christs sake. Huge choice in the style of dish you fancy, from fajitas served on a sizzling skillet, to nachos dripping with cheese and dips, ribs/wings in fabulous sauces, monstrous steaks, huge great slabs of spicey chicken, corn on the cob etc etc. So much CHOICE.

A Mexican meal is a heroic culinary ADVENTURE. An Italian meal by comparison is a trip to the post office.

Last edited:

What is it about the English taste for "Italian" food that ensures that just about every main course comes with "a rich, creamy sauce"?

In the fifteen months that I lived in Italy, I never once ate a meal covered in such slop.

It's the proper use of herbs, in combination with simple ingredients, that makes Italian food. That and the use of quality olive oil.

And I still can't get over the experience of the place in New Church Road that refused to serve me the gnocchi with garlic and oil (aglio e olio) on the grounds that gnocchi only came with a creamy cheese sauce.

Coglioni!

Last edited:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
DÃnN¥ §ëÃGuLL© said:
Snails! You people really are sick, we've had rabbit, dried pigs blood, balls bulls already today now snails! :nono: :lol:

We had Roast Saddle of Hare on the Fantasy Meal thread

If you're looking for the really unacceptable Italian dish, I thoroughly recommend roast song thrush. Eat the whole thing, bones and all - although most people chuck the skull away.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Lord Bracknell said:
What is it about the English taste for "Italian" food that ensures that just about every main course comes with "a rich, creamy sauce"?

In the fifteen months that I lived in Italy, I never once ate a meal covered in such slop.
I think you've hit the nail on the head with that observation, Lord B. It seems to me that 90% of Italian dishes come served in that "rich creamy sauce" - they use it to smother everything. And do you know what that "sauce" actually is ?

Waitrose Cream of Mushroom Soup. With the mushrooms removed.

So they'll boil up some pasta shells, pour a tin of soup over it, serve it up, send someone over with a pepper grinder the size of the Telecom Tower to shower grated parmesan on your pasta soup (cos as we all know, we can't possibly be trusted to do THAT ourselves, in case we use a few grains more than we are entitled to)....and they'll charge you about thirteen quid for that dish. Plus four quid for a small bottle of Becks.

Someone remind me, why DO people actually bother with Italian restaurants over here ?

Last edited:

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
I reckon you've hit the spot there, Easy 10. And I reckon they add just a little watered-down half cream to the mushroomless, mushroom soup. Which explains the equally watery glurpo that collects underneath the pasta.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Easy 10 said:
Rubbish.
The sheer variety in Mexican food borders on the bewildering. Even the vegetarian stuff looks fantastic there for christs sake. Huge choice in the style of dish you fancy, from fajitas served on a sizzling skillet, to nachos dripping with cheese and dips, ribs/wings in fabulous sauces, monstrous steaks, huge great slabs of spicey chicken, corn on the cob etc etc. So much CHOICE.

A Mexican meal is a heroic culinary ADVENTURE. An Italian meal by comparison is a trip to the post office.

Variety, don't make me laugh. Right you can have spiced mince with corn bread in 12 differnt patterns or barbequed lumps of meat.

Italian food isn't just Pizza or pasta.

Lush

Mods' Pet
From The Indy today

The best Italian dishes from outside Tuscany:

1. Erbazzone (spinach tart)
2. Tortelloni di Zucca (pasta stuffed with pumpkin and Amaretti)
3. Carciofi all Giudea (deep fried artichokes)
4. Spaghetti aglio, olio e perperoncino (with garlic, oil and chilli pepper)
5. Arancini di riso (deep fried rice balls filled with mozzarella, peas and ragout)
6. Risotto al radicchio trevigiano (with red chicory)
7. Ribollita (bean and cabbage soup)

Yum.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Well i like Italian. And as someone who doesnt like cheese i dont have the "creamy sauce" dishes, and instead enjoy a wide range of spicy meats and various herb combinations. I think its unfair to label Italian as bland and over priced, its just the same with any cuisine in any restruant. It depends on what you ordering, if you pick korma in an average Indian it too is going to be bland. Your paying for someone else to cook it for you and *hopefully* top notch ingredients.

chips and gravy

Jan 5, 2004
worthing
For the record, I had a medium rare steak with brandy and peppercorn sauce. Not exactly original but it tasted pretty good!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here